SuckerPunch who's seen it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuckerPunch who's seen it?

I saw SuckerPunch this past weekend. It wasn't what I expected but I did like it.
    I enjoy Zak Synder's visuals but the story was a little ehhhhh...

But it was a good movie to watch purely for the visuals and the soundtrack is like a piece of heaven. All the songs are covers redone quite well... and the boys and girls that want to see half naked pretty girls dance and use heavily machine guns, this is the movie for you.

What did you all think?
    Last edited by misstvirus; 03-29-2011, 09:01 PM.

Havent seen it. However, if I wanted to see half naked girls using heavy machine guns, I'd watch anime.

I'm convinced that Zach Snyder has nothing to say with this film and just chose to copy and paste various anime and sci fi homages into a crappy inception-eqsue film. yeah I know he and Nolan both used a similar concept at about the same time, but Nolan knows what hes doing behind the camera.

Snyder just knows how to make pretty visuals move at a snails pace. 300 was good, but hes over stayed his welcome as a director in my opinion. This guy needs to return to film school.

I mean how can you take something as mesmerizing as watchmen and turn it into 2 hrs and 30 minutes of boredom? The script wasn't perfect(graphic novel comes close), but it had plenty of meat and a good director could have made it work.
    Last edited by Wrathborne; 03-29-2011, 11:04 PM.

Comment

From what I hear this movie is a terrible jumbled mess with no cohesive story
      "Admit it, you're going to miss this ass" - Chloe Frazer

Comment

Originally posted by Jill4EverSTARS View Post
        From what I hear this movie is a terrible jumbled mess with no cohesive story
        You expect a story for a movie like this?? lol should be fun eye candy tho, will see it soon.

Comment

Not sure what to expect from Sucker Punch. It opens here in two weeks from now, might grab a friend of mine and go see it with her. Something tells me it's not a movie for everyone, but rather for the especially interested - so I'm all up for it. I mean... I've stomached a lot of shit that's been praised to the skies and beyond, and still come out on the other end feeling like I got what I came for. Going by Zack Snyder's current record, I doubt Sucker Punch will make it into my hate list.

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
          I mean how can you take something as mesmerizing as watchmen and turn it into 2 hrs and 30 minutes of boredom? The script wasn't perfect(graphic novel comes close), but it had plenty of meat and a good director could have made it work.
          Seen the ultimate cut? (like 50 min extra, mixture of deleted scenes and integration of Tales of the Black Freighter)

Don't see what people's problem with Watchmen was. Recently saw both Ultimate Cut and the regular version right after. Slow paced? Sure. So what? It has really nice visuals going. Great audio design. Plenty of soul in every character. The only way for it NOT to be slow paced would be if they trimmed it down to the absolute bare minimum... which is how you end up with "mishaps" such as The Last Airbender ... which is totally giving Shyamalan much more shit than he deserves

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
            Don't see what people's problem with Watchmen was. Recently saw both Ultimate Cut and the regular version right after. Slow paced? Sure. So what? It has really nice visuals going.
            Thats the biggest flaw in 'The Watchmen'. In the graphic novel the sense of urgency and that world war 3 is LITERALLY around the corner is one of the most mesmerizing elements of the story.

In this film...stuff happens very slowly and because its at a snails pace, the interest in whats going on manages to fade out to the point that even when something is happening, it feels like nothing is happening.

Because of this the characters all suffer greatly and become as boring as the story itself.

Even though the graphic novel isn't a high speed read, it has its own pace which picks up chapter by chapter.

The pacing of 'The Watchmen' graphic novel goes from like 0-50MPH. Its not incredibly fast, but when it picks up you're involved.

The pacing of the film is 0-15MPH. Stuff happens, people die, you don't care.

The script they had wasnt bad, needed some more adjustments towards the end of the film, but its the direction and the films pacing that make it a let down.

Cant compare 'The Watchmen' film to 'The Last Airbender'.

David Hayter and the other screenwriters made sure that the Watchmen film was as faithful as they could make it. I give them credit for that.

Shymal-twist just cashed his check and fast forwarded through and entire season and took notes on plot points, while re-casting characters inspired primarily of Chinese and Japanse mythology as White, Indian, and Middle eastern.
            Last edited by Wrathborne; 04-03-2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
              Thats the biggest flaw in 'The Watchmen'. In the graphic novel the sense of urgency and that world war 3 is LITERALLY around the corner is one of the most mesmerizing elements of the story.
              Never really felt the graphic novel did that. (@urgency) It moves slow. People stand around talking for ages in a way that isn't even close to being easily translatable to the big screen in an engaging way. It's not exactly comparable to things such as ... say ... The Man From Earth. But, sure, it might've rubbed the WW3 threat in your face more in the comic (or more like; the comic allows you to better suck in lots of information during scenes that aren't even more than a couple of seconds worth of screentime).

So maybe the movie's handling of the political side of things could've been done differently, but you gotta be pretty ignorant to not really get the idea that a war is likely to happen and that world wars are a pretty serious business. I don't need someone to tell me that the 80s of the movie is in bad shape. The visuals kinda do a lot of the talking, if you're picking up on it and thinking about it.

So how could they have upped the seriousness of it without just making the average viewer feel like his/her intelligence is being challenged - whilst also not detracting from the general experience and/or taking focus away from the general character drama that occurs? The character drama is pretty important, since that's the perspective we're pretty much following this entire event from start to end through. Should the characters have been all emo about the war? Should they've shown more care about it all in their dialog? I think it'd be a pretty poor Watchmen movie experience if mostly everything took place on the news or in a war room - or that was all that was going on in the lives of these former masked men.

Cant compare 'The Watchmen' film to 'The Last Airbender'.
              As a sample of what happens when you just up the pace for the sake of upping the pace on something that's kinda slow; I just did.

I guess I could say The Dark Knight and Inception instead; what happens when a movie just constantly keeps throwing stuff at you to the point where it almost reaches Matrix sequel levels of boredom (I know people love those Nolan movies. I don't blame them, they're both great, but I really find them hard to watch from start to end in one sitting - especially on rewatches - since they just never friggin' end and every scene is followed by a moment of "shit just got real", despite things already being serious for the nth time already.)

David Hayter and the other screenwriters made sure that the Watchmen film was as faithful as they could make it. I give them credit for that.
              It's pretty surprising that they actually got to leave it as that.

Shymal-twist just cashed his check and fast forwarded through and entire season and took notes on plot points, while re-casting characters inspired primarily of Chinese and Japanse mythology as White, Indian, and Middle eastern.
              It's pretty obvious by how the narrative structure is handled in the movie (voice overs to fill in at every time jump) that he (as a director) didn't want to throw away anything. Everything reeks of "Please give me 2h30m++ of screen time", but someone saying "No! This is a movie for children! Cut it down." and thus a compromise of rather than rewriting everything to fit with a shortened story, stuff just gets cut roughly and filled in by a brief narration whenever a larger time leap was made.

Also, the only real issue with the casting (as far as I see it, anyway) was Aang. But that's a small issue to live with, the fact that someone had the balls to cast a kid as a kid in a movie. Aang's actor surely is the sore thumb of bad acting at times, but that's mainly because not every child actor gets to be like Haley Joel Osment... I suppose.

Comment

Snyder is hit or miss with me. I hate 300 to no end, enjoy Watchmen quite a lot, and Dawn of the is fairly meh.

I might see this, but I'm afraid his style of film will make me dislike it.

Comment

Originally posted by Humor Tumor View Post
                  Snyder is hit or miss with me. I hate 300 to no end, enjoy Watchmen quite a lot, and Dawn of the is fairly meh.

I might see this, but I'm afraid his style of film will make me dislike it.

Honestly, the soundtrack and the color scheme and set locations is all I really liked but I did like how it ended because it wasn't a typical or expected ending.

Comment

I loved the movie. And there is a very clear message to the film. I thought it was a very beautiful film, both visually and within the message. I can't see how people say it objectifies women, though. Yes, they are wearing what can be seen as sexy outfits, but there's really a reason for it. It's about breaking free, about finding a way out, and more so it's about a woman who is put in a place by powerful men, and she's fighting back against them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vogue_Dirge View Post
                      I loved the movie. And there is a very clear message to the film. I thought it was a very beautiful film, both visually and within the message. I can't see how people say it objectifies women, though. Yes, they are wearing what can be seen as sexy outfits, but there's really a reason for it. It's about breaking free, about finding a way out, and more so it's about a woman who is put in a place by powerful men, and she's fighting back against them.
                      I think you're reaching for something that isn't really there.
                      The film is more about taking everything thats popular now visually and cramming it all in, in an effort to make loads of money.

Cause Its the Hollywood way!
                      Last edited by Wrathborne; 04-07-2011, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Well of course. It's Zack Snyder, a major Hollywood director with a hefty resume. Of course they are going to push together these things, but I don't think that was the original intention of the story.

I'm talking plot. Not visual effects. Every movie starts off with a story. You could have the most grandiose script with all these elements, but if there is no content, it's not picked up. Suckerpunch wove these popular visuals and themes together quite nicely, I think.

Comment

Saw it. It was....ok, that's it's biggest flaw, it's just ok but the potential for it to be so much more is there, whether they couldn't or just didn't bother to harness it is subject to opinion i guess. In my opinion Zach just couldn't quite handle doing a purely original work. Not that it was purely 100% original though, the inspirational points are very clear to see, American McGee's Alice, Bioshock, video games in general which is ironic since he commented that he didn't want it to be like a game. Further ironically i think it would have been better told as a game.

Comment

Great visuals, poor story and uninteresting characters.

Liked: Rocket (fine) and the WWI alternate backdrop.

Comment

Working...
                            X