Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - Teaser Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
    True, the campaign has barely started, but Capcom usually starts as they mean to go on, and they're pimping out Leon like he owes them drug money.
    I really think people are letting their hatred of Leon overtake any sense of logic or reason they may otherwise have.

I don't see how having one actual screenshot of Leon and maybe two seconds of footage in a trailer is "pimping out Leon." He most certainly has not been given more attention than the main characters.

And again, I reiterate that the reason they're making such a big deal about being able to kill Leon is just that: you can kill Leon. It doesn't matter if it makes sense within the canon of the series or not. You are being given the ability to kill one of the most popular characters from the entire franchise.

It simply wouldn't have the same effect if they advertised it as "You can kill Rebecca" or "You can kill Sherry" or even, I would go so far as to say, "You can kill Jill."

And you must remember, the authors of the articles were only shown a brief demo of the game, so they can only really report on what they saw. And if what they saw was "Kill Leon," then by golly, they're going to focus on it in their previews.

Comment

Why are people surprised that Leon S. Kennedy, Resident Evil's golden boy, star of the critically-acclaimed third-person shooter and quasi-horror title Resident Evil 4, is getting "so much attention" in this game? Seriously. If you go to other message boards, namely non-Resident Evil ones, people are fapping to the prospect of Leon making another appearance. For whatever reason, he's RE's most famous and marketable character.

Comment

"Teaming up with a group like Slant Six that has such a good reputation in the TPS field will let us make a really solid package," Kawata concluded.
        o.O

Annnd:

The game is set somewhere around RE2 or RE3, but it's a completely new story that we're writing -- a parallel world, if you will.
        Last edited by Archelon; 03-30-2011, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill Lover View Post
          Yeah, Leon is just like you.
          SNAP!

But yeah this kinda looks cool, I will wait and see, the music was horrible tho, But I did like nearly all that I saw in it. And yes, Leon did sound a little off.

Comment

So far I like the tone and I wonder why people get focused in if Leon this or that, when we got ZOMBIES BACK. F'N ZOMBIES! This was a TEASER trailer, don't get your panties in a bunch yet. We know how things change between trailers.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

People will complain regardless so long as Leon is involved in any capacity whatsoever.

He could only appear in a picture on a wall in some obscure location in the game that most people would never even see without actually performing some gamebreaking glitch or hacking the code, and people would still complain that he's being overexposed.

Heck, I'm surprised people weren't whining that he was mentioned in Outbreak.
              Last edited by Archelon; 03-30-2011, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Game's only 45& done so far, and the game is still in many rough patches with a lot of placeholder I bet. Still impressive for what they will be able to show.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                  I understand he's a big name for Resi Evil and his presence will help sell the game. I'm fine with him being part of the advertising campaign. I simply don't like the feeling that really, the game is all about Leon. I mean, even though he can be killed, Rebecca and Jill should be higher priority targets on account of being S.T.A.R.S and survivors of the mansion incident. Leon shouldn't even be known to them. The only reason for them to kill him is he's a cop.
                  This has been on my mind too. I understand this is for advertising purposes, but do they really need Leon for that? It's a Resident Evil game. With zombies. That's enough to get people interested. It's like a lousy attempt to get the game noticed. I think it would sound better if it was more like "kill the remaining members of STARS". Honestly, I would rather them focus on Jill, she sounds like a better target....and I miss the pre-RE5 Jill anyways.

Comment

Lmao at people complaints about Leon over the main characters it makes good sense he has become. The face of the franchise so of course he'll get exposure to draw in the more casual fan and look at our main characters as a group they look so generic and the average viewer who had no info about this game before the trailer would pretty much be perplexed by the four random similar looking characters

And I never found anything wrong with Leon I thought he was badass I mean cmon if you faced terrors before and survived and now that you have the top training how scared can you be
                    "Admit it, you're going to miss this ass" - Chloe Frazer

Comment

I actually prefer Paul Haddad (the voice actor for Leon Kennedy in RE2) over Paul Mercier who I feel made Leon seem more emotionless and one dimensional. Sort of the same way I feel about Joe Whyte doing Chris Redfield over Roger Smith and Albert Wesker's voice being done by Richard Waugh who made Wesker sound more dangerous compared to D.C. Douglas (although I guess I understand why they chose D.C. Douglas for RE5) but even Peter Jessop (REmake Wesker) I thought was more convincing then Douglas.

But yeah, it's only a very short teaser. And yeah, Capcom wants to attract a larger audience by showing the Leon lovers and (RE4) fans that their character is in the game. Nothing's wrong with it. It's pretty smart and it makes sense since we already know that this is based mainly around RE2/RE3.

Wait till Capcom's special event or even E3. I'm sure we'll see more.

Comment

Originally posted by Reston View Post
                        I actually prefer Paul Haddad (the voice actor for Leon Kennedy in RE2) over Paul Mercier who I feel made Leon seem more emotionless and one dimensional. Sort of the same way I feel about Joe Whyte doing Chris Redfield over Roger Smith and Albert Wesker's voice being done by Richard Waugh who made Wesker sound more dangerous compared to D.C. Douglas (although I guess I understand why they chose D.C. Douglas for RE5) but even Peter Jessop (REmake Wesker) I thought was more convincing then Douglas .
                        o_O
                        Mercier > Haddad
                        Roger Smith > Whyte
                        D.C. Douglas > everyone else....you can't hide forever!!...nuff said
                        Spoiler:

Comment

No way dude. Haddad had way more emotion and seemed to make Leon much more human than the shallow one dimensional voice of Merceier.

I see your point with Smith over Whyte but it's just my preference.

As for Douglas, you ever see the original Dreamcast video of him confronting Alexia? He sounds like an old man when he gets hit and goes, "Wha---what power!?" It's laughable. But I do prefer him over Douglas. He made Wesker seem so much more intimidating than Douglas (especially Douglas's performance in Umbrella Chronicles, ::nasal Wesker:: ::shivers: I don't know if he could've pulled off super Wesker though. But we'll never know.

EDIT: I'll find the video for you with the original Wesker DC version.
                          Last edited by Reston; 03-30-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

In UC capcom Douglas to imitate Waugh, in RE5 Douglas can perform his own Wesker, that's why he sounded in UC "not good, not bad".
                            Mercier is pretty good VA, but script from capcom just don't let him express his emotion...and as for Smith, thanks to his performance in RE5, Chris became my favourite RE character.
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Funny though innit? So many people, spending so much time over the last few years saying how much they detest every fibre of Leon's being...yet when the chance comes up to "Kill Leon" they still complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Beanovsky Durst View Post
                                So far I like the tone and I wonder why people get focused in if Leon this or that, when we got ZOMBIES BACK. F'N ZOMBIES! This was a TEASER trailer, don't get your panties in a bunch yet. We know how things change between trailers.
                                True enough, but the first RE5 trailer came out how long before the game? A loooong time. This is a game we're being told we'll have later this year. I doubt things are going to change too much.

While I don't mind Leon, if the game is going for a darker tone, it would be better to show those who actually suffered more. Show the officers who watched their friends get absolutely devoured by the hordes of undead, then ultimately get betrayed by their chief. Give us a school teacher that had to run from the kids s/he spent days with trying to educate them. Give us Raccoon City citizens with no hope of survival.

That being said, we don't know exactly what the game has in store yet, and using Leon is something comfortable. He's popular, a well known face, and 'safe'. The teaser only really showed a bit of Beltway and Bertha, doing nothing truly amazing. Leon's part at the end looked copy pasted from DSC. The game is going to be non-canon action fodder anyway. Stop pissing your pants over 1 minute and a half of footage (in which our belovedly hated Leon appeared about....3 seconds?)
                                sigpic
                                Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Working...
                                X