Stopping the spambots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping the spambots

So I've decided we need to act a bit more aggressively. I've now modified our registration to include reCaptcha rather than our simple "yuk yuk, put Jill Valentine in the box below!@1".

If you have ANY issues with this system, let us know immediately by clicking the contact link on the bottom of all forum pages.

I will actually smile if this works. I kill all the spambots I see, but by God, there are a lot of them. There are days when five or six register in a half hour period. They often get offended by me blocking there accounts, since this causes the spam in there sig to vanish, and so create more.

I hates them. Seriously, who sees a spambot and goes, 'You know what, I was just thinking of doing a bulk order of medical supplies!'

Comment

If anyone sees one after this, let me know immediately. I just tried registering on the site and all went well, so hopefully this wont adversely affect anyone.

DM, if you and the other mods wanna go on a bot hunt to purge our DB, I'd love you

Comment

You'll know if I see one. You'll hear the resounding 'Fuck YOU!' from across the Atlantic. But yeah, I can go purge them tommorow. It'll give me something to do while I listen to the Podcasts.

Comment

If you really just want a crash course in the podcast, B Roll is probably the way to go. It pretty much shows you our humor and the "loose" style we've adopted in later podcasts.

Comment

I'm just going through them one at a time.

Edit - I thought I saw a spambot here. It's gone now.
            Last edited by Darkmoon; 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

The really crappy thing about these asses is that their forum sigs get crawled on by google, so if someone searches for that term, google sees that this guys page has like 99999999999999999999999 links on the internet and therefore becomes a top search result. Thats why they do it like they do now (in sigs, hidden).

Comment

The problem I have with some Captcha is you simply can't read what it's supposed to say due to it having funky symbols around it or all the colours bleed into one. The best one i've seen so far is where you make up a jigsaw puzzle of a clock https://www.keycaptcha.com/
                Last edited by kevstah2004; 04-05-2011, 07:23 PM.
                If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

I am not sure it worked John. Couple spambots have shown up since you made the change. =/
                  sigpic

Comment

Looks like they've decided to strike yet again! (In the off-topic thread)
                    sigpic

Comment

Maximilian now that's a name that strikes fear.
                      If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Damnit, I'll have to check into this and see if we can update vb or something to help combat it. I know vb3 stopped getting updates soon after our version though, so that sucks.

I added a new question along with registering or changing their profiles. Hopefully that'll work.

tishattatty was the last spam registration, so if we see anyone past him..ugh.

Edit: Okay, it looks like we have humans registering for spam now They figured out the question, but it was only one so far. I'll keep monitoring this. If I see more, Ill institute game-specific questions which new registers will have to know.
                        Last edited by Dot50Cal; 04-06-2011, 02:15 AM.

Comment

We got another spambot.

"bimbim90"
                          See you in hell.

Comment

The new measures are not working. Hasn't even slowed 'em down.

Comment

Alright, when I get back from work today I'll setup questions specific to RE as a registration measure. Unless there are humans doing it, it should block out bots.

Comment

Working...
                              X