No announcement yet.

Stopping the spambots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im gonna keep things on lockdown for now. I'll check the new registers daily. I just want to flush the entire spambot database out of here entirely, not just ban them. We need a full purge before I feel good.

7,636 members as of right now, lets see how far that goes down when I'm done.
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 04-07-2011, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
      Welp, they got around that. Either its real people or they are really good at google matching our questions. I might have to make them tougher, but in the meantime we're now on mod-approval for new user accounts.
      I'm surprised botnets aren't going around hacking sites with forums that have alot of traffic to create hidden admin accounts to open the boards up to massive spambot attacks.

Comment

7,636 members as of right now, lets see how far that goes down when I'm done.
        Then after the purge we're down to like 32.
        sigpic

Comment

Wow, this is way out of hand. 300 members from @sify.com email addresses (awesome that they are all spam, and easy to delete).

Edit: This is taking way too long. Im considering re-purchasing our VB license simply so we can download this:
          Administrative and Maintenance Tools - vbStopForumSpam - known spammer lookup for new registrations vBulletin 3.6 Add-ons

It would block pretty much all these fuckers, but Im in a tight spot at the moment money wise. Will be moving soon and I can't be spending that kind of cash. Fuckers want 195$ now, but at least they've removed the "you have to buy a license every year to get updates". Apparently its just a one time fee now for vbulletin 4.0.
          Last edited by Dot50Cal; 04-07-2011, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Perhaps everyone could chip in to get that? It'd benefit us all at the end of the day.

I think we should get our balls and take them home.

...and by 'our' I do, of course, mean Dot's.
            I was gonna say, I'd need to borrow a pair. God has found it pleasing to not give me any testicles.

Comment

It would block pretty much all these fuckers, but Im in a tight spot at the moment money wise. Will be moving soon and I can't be spending that kind of cash. Fuckers want 195$ now, but at least they've removed the "you have to buy a license every year to get updates". Apparently its just a one time fee now for vbulletin 4.0.
              I'd be happy to donate...again...since the last time I donated was for vbulleting crap.

I was gonna say, I'd need to borrow a pair. God has found it pleasing to not give me any testicles.
              You can keep Dot's!

Does that mean I;
              A: Don't have balls
              B: Am free to go (w/my balls)
              C: None of the above
              Mostly? It means I like messing with Dot. It could also mean B, though, if you pay me.

Comment

You can keep Dot's!
                I shall treasure them for time immemorial.

Comment

I'll have to reconfigure permissions for you guys, since the admin CP has lots of dangerous, board breaking options which scare even me haha. I'm off Sunday, so I'll try to get to it then.

Question: can you guys just outright delete users?

22 registers since yesterday, all bots. Deleted em all.

DM: Maybe we can do that but I don't want any one person fronting the brunt of the bill if possible. I should be moved within the month and from there I can start saving again (provided the third roommate doesn't bail out again like last time).
                  Last edited by Dot50Cal; 04-08-2011, 10:48 AM.

Comment

We could all chip in and share the bill. I know it's your site, but we all enjoy it and get entertainment from it so only seems fair if we help out a bit.

Nope, I can't delete anyone. It might be an idea to allow mods to change custom titles as well, as I've had a fair few requests for that in the past but don't have the permissions to do it.

Comment

I'm also happy to donate towards this.
                      See you in hell.

Comment

I'll chip in if need be.
                        sigpic

Comment

Heck, I enjoy this site a ton too. If you guys are trying to improve the site, I'd be more than willing to lend a hand.
                          Last edited by Canas Renvall; 04-08-2011, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Well, if you guys want to donate, send me a PM with how much you can send. It'll stricktly be used for the forum upgrade which I can now see costs $175.00 due to us already owning vb3. Anyone who donates will get the donator tag ;)

Comment

You guys just want the spiffy "Donator" badge

I'll jump on this bandwagon though Support! Support! Support!

Comment

The forums are fake, didn't you know? None of this is real, we've been pulling the wool over you guys for years. All those posts you guys thought you made? Yeah, MarkGrass made em. ;)
                                Last edited by Alzaire; 04-09-2011, 12:15 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X