Tibits on Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
    I can already hear them scratching and clawing at my door, their pale eyes staring mournfully at what could have been. Their desire for Outbreak is a thirst that shall never be quenched, an unending need that will forever go unfulfilled.
    I lurk alot more than I post, and whenever I come across a discussion about Outbreak in this forum, never have I seen such polar opinions! It's very entertaining, and yet, sadly confusing. I don't know who to believe.. I want to try the Outbreak games, but something tells me I shouldn't bother..
    Last edited by PracticalAl; 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

They're actually pretty fun to play, but they're definitely not the greatest games in the series as some people might have you believe. It's interesting to see the outbreak from the perspective of a common civilian but the online architecture for the time was so underdeveloped for the game, you had long loading screens and other lag issues from what I've heard.

The canoncity of the games is also a subject of heated debate even to this day.
      See you in hell.

Comment

I can already hear them scratching and clawing at my door, their pale eyes staring mournfully at what could have been. Their desire for Outbreak is a thirst that shall never be quenched, an unending need that will forever go unfulfilled.
        Outbreak, I have tried to survive only to see you again. But my efforts only delayed the inevitable; It's a squad-based shooter, and there is no cure for what will follow -- except to welcome the change before I lose the only thing that separates me from them.
        Last edited by GuardhouseMusic; 04-13-2011, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I'm fairly sure I'll enjoy ORC more simply for the fact that I'll be able to talk to my teammates and tell them off if they decide to run right by me as I'm getting face-fucked by a zombie, unlike in Outbreak where all I could do was press triangle(or circle, or square, I don't even remember) to say a random pre-determined line that often had nothing to do with the situation at hand. Oh, and that virus counter. I fuckin' HATED being on a timer.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
            I'm fairly sure I'll enjoy ORC more simply for the fact that I'll be able to talk to my teammates and tell them off if they decide to run right by me as I'm getting face-fucked by a zombie, unlike in Outbreak where all I could do was press triangle(or circle, or square, I don't even remember) to say a random pre-determined line that often had nothing to do with the situation at hand. Oh, and that virus counter. I fuckin' HATED being on a timer.
            HEY! HEY YOU! HEY! HEY YOU!
            See you in hell.

Comment

JUST DO IT!

JUST DO IT!
              Last edited by Archelon; 04-13-2011, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shanemurphy View Post
                Oh wait I found a solution for people who don't want to play with the A.I!!

Play the online based game....online wow I'm good.
                Looks like someone wants attention, lets everyone pause for a moment and pay tribute to this troll in training.

Or not.

Comment

Genius can look like trolling through bitter eyelids, I guess.
                  Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

I'm actually with my fellow U.S.S Delta Team member on this one, it seems as though people are going out of their way to dislike this game. The moment it was announced, not one person gave it a chance and instantly wrote it off as being some cash-in bollocks. Sure, I've had my skepticism towards Slant Six, but the latest trailer has convinced me that they know what they're doing.

It just seems as though everyone wants to hate this game and presumably they want it to fail too.

Give it a chance, that's all I'm going to say. It's all I'm going to do.
                    I'm trying, but so far nothing is holding my interest. Yes, I know, it's wrong to base things purely on the teasers, but the whole purpose of the things is to give you a taste of what the game is going to be. I play RE for the horror elements and the story. The horror elements are gone entirely and the story is either;

1 - Non cannon and therefore irrelvant.

2 - Retroactively adding to the cannon, in such a way as to mess with the old story (DO NOT WANT!)

So far, the co-op is the sole reason I have any interest in playing it. Chris is slowly talking me around so I can play with some of you fine fellows. God help this game if they region lock the online...because nothing else can.

Well, except good gameplay.

Originally posted by Vector View Post
                    I'm not taking offense, I'm just amazed at how quickly people are writing it off. I've never seen people give up on a RE game so fast, especially on this site. I'm not sure why, unless people are somehow CONVINCED that the all-seeing, all-knowing valentine'sdead? got his hands on an early build and KNOWS that the AI is terrible...or if we have a lot of people who dislike multiplayer games.

Odds are, though, if you don't like multiplayer games, then this shouldn't even be on your radar anyway.
                    I think it's because the game's not really something most people have been asking for. It's not Outbreak, although it does have multiplayer. It's not a return to horror. It doesn't advance the storyline, even if it does end up being canon. Essentially, it's the game no one asked for...a squad based shooter with Resident Evil.

Now, for some folk that's awesome. It's exactly the kinda game they want. But let's be honest here...it's about as far from a Resident Evil game as they can get without going into space, and we all know how well that worked in Dino Crisis. Is it really that shocking that a lot of RE fans are just going 'meh' given that? So far it has two redeaming features...you can play with your friends, and it looks pretty.

I will agree, though, that people have to give the AI a chance. Sheva's was, from my own experience, awful. But it's not Capcom making the game. Slant Six is, and they may well have a better idea of how to make a partner you don't want to kill. Let's wait until we see the AI in action before we kill them all.

I haven't given up on the game yet, I'm simply going with my current RE policy - sceptic until proven otherwise.

Originally posted by PracticalAl View Post
                    I lurk alot more than I post, and whenever I come across a discussion about Outbreak in this forum, never have I seen such polar opinions! It's very entertaining, and yet, sadly confusing. I don't know who to believe.. I want to try the Outbreak games, but something tells me I shouldn't bother..
                    Without co-op, some of the joy of the game is gone. That being said, I never played them online and I really like them. They're a taste of the old RE and have some nice touches I enjoy, such as the constant feeling of panic thanks to zombies entering the room with you and the virus guage.

Which is not to say they're perfect. I found the AI only sometimes helpful, although better than RE5's (where Sheva can be a damned nuisance) and there are some furstrating elements, such as the loading times of the first game and a couple of cheap enemies.

All told, though, it's a fun game if you want to feel like just a bunch of average Joes in Raccoon City. Even with the more combative characters I never felt safe from danger, and since I usually play Yoko I was fairly often terrified.

Given how cheap both files are (You can grab File 2, which has some improvements, with not real issue) there's really no reason not to give them a try.
                    Last edited by Darkmoon; 04-13-2011, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
                        Genius can look like trolling through bitter eyelids, I guess.
                        And hard comments don't register on soft brains

Comment

You like Outbreak AI over Sheva?

That has to be a first.

edit: Directed at Dark.
                          Last edited by Dracarys; 04-13-2011, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
                            You like Outbreak AI over Sheva?

That has to be a first.

edit: Directed at Dark.
                            Yeah, I really do. I actually found Sheva to be an outrigh hinderance to me, that made playing solo almost impossible. If she wasn't blocking a shot, she was wasting ammo and healing items. And if she wasn't doing that she was half way across the level trying to melee the chainsaw Majini. It drove me nuts.

Which is not to say the Outbreak AI is good. It's not. One partner runs away instantly, steals a key item, then often dies. So you need to find there corpse. But the one that stays with you was usually pretty helpful, didn't use healing items on a whim, and even the esaping AI would often do a puzzle or two ad unlock some doors.

They were frustrating as hell, sometimes, but I never found myself ranting at the screen as they ran off. Partially because it didn't mean Game Over for me, I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                              Looks like someone wants attention, lets everyone pause for a moment and pay tribute to this troll in training.
                              If people didn't want attention drawn to their posts, they wouldn't post surely?

That said, i fail to see what is attention seeking about providing a logical solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                                Yeah, I really do. I actually found Sheva to be an outrigh hinderance to me, that made playing solo almost impossible. If she wasn't blocking a shot, she was wasting ammo and healing items. And if she wasn't doing that she was half way across the level trying to melee the chainsaw Majini. It drove me nuts.

Which is not to say the Outbreak AI is good. It's not. One partner runs away instantly, steals a key item, then often dies. So you need to find there corpse. But the one that stays with you was usually pretty helpful, didn't use healing items on a whim, and even the esaping AI would often do a puzzle or two ad unlock some doors.

They were frustrating as hell, sometimes, but I never found myself ranting at the screen as they ran off. Partially because it didn't mean Game Over for me, I suspect.
                                I hear these complaints a lot but I've never experienced them, so many times I've been tempted to take a screen shot of Sheva holding healing items with our healths at near half yet her not 'wasting' them and instead waiting until an item gets a full heal benefit.

She moves out the way when you aim at her too, quick quickly, making me wonder where people are aiming for her to be in the way so much, or you try to steal her kills?

The only time I find her troublesome is the 2v2 Wesker/Jill fight on Pro, since she doesn't stick close to you in this area and always runs to fight Jill, and Pro damage/dying status is just nasty.
                                Last edited by Dracarys; 04-13-2011, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X