Tibits on Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stu View Post
    If people didn't want attention drawn to their posts, they wouldn't post surely?

That said, i fail to see what is attention seeking about providing a logical solution.

It's not entirely logical, though. It's an option...but some people, myself included, won't want to play online much. I'll play with some of the guys I know and like...Alzaire, Spencer, Dot, Enrico and a handful of others. But a lot of the time I'll simply play it offline. And I'm sure a lot of other people will want to as well. It frustrates me that I need a partner to play RE5.

And then there are the people without a choice. Not everyone has there machines hooker up to the web, even today. It does still happen. As I said with RE5 the AI really must be good enough to handle single player for the game to be a good one. It's honestly my biggest gripe of RE5...at least RE4 is fun to play.

EDIT;
    Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
    I hear these complaints a lot but I've never experienced them, so many times I've been tempted to take a screen shot of Sheva holding healing items with our healths at near half yet her not 'wasting' them and instead waiting until an item gets a full heal benefit.

She moves out the way when you aim at her too, quick quickly, making me wonder where people are aiming for her to be in the way so much, or you try to steal her kills?

The only time I find her troublesome is the 2v2 Wesker/Jill fight on Pro, since she doesn't stick close to you in this area and always runs to fight Jill, and Pro damage/dying status is just nasty.
    I just have a lot of trouble with her. I have no idea why. But when I tried to play through on single player, I died about 8 times before the end of Chapter 1.

1 - Sheva refuses to run from the Executioner and gets axed before I can find her again.
    2 - Sheva runs in front of me when I'm trying to shotgun a Majini, takes an axe to the face, and goes into critical while I get mobbed.
    3 - Sheva tries to melee the chainsaw Majini.
    4 - She uses all our healing items when fighting the dogs, then dies.
    5 - Insists on meleeing the Big Majini, blocking my shots.
    6 - Ran out of items and refused to move (Glitch, I assume, but still irritating by this point.)
    7 - Died a whole bunch of times when on a solo mission bit before the chainsaw boss. In fairness, I suck at sniping.
    8 - Just randomly died in a fight when I couldn't reach her. Fair enough.

I then played through with my wife and didn't die except at the bridge quick time event. And stopped using Sheva on AI.
    Last edited by Darkmoon; 04-13-2011, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Humor Tumor View Post
      I prefer this one.

Me taking Navi to a whole new level.http://www.mediafire.com/?9tl3rgllrbhnqbuClick there to download a soundset containing several Navi sounds, our friends M...

HEYTALITY.
      Last edited by Canas Renvall; 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
        As I said with RE5 the AI really must be good enough to handle single player for the game to be a good one. It's honestly my biggest gripe of RE5...at least RE4 is fun to play.
        Agreed 100%.
        Last edited by Wrathborne; 04-13-2011, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Wait wait, are people calling me a troll because I just pointed out that this multiplayer game should be played with multiplayer?

My comment was better then most of the ignorance that comes from some of you so called "fans".

Ohh it's a new Resi coming out, time to complain about it without knowing even half of what the game has. Seriously I am shocked at my fellow Resi fans I think I would even listen to young Halo fans then most of the people posting in this forum and I really hate Halo!

So no it's not looking for attention or trolling it's a stupid attempt to smack some sense into the ignorant fans, I should have known it would be impossible.

Oh and just to add thanks to the people defending my comment from some people that just can't seem to stop using their limited edition hategoggles!
          Last edited by shanemurphy; 04-13-2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
            They're actually pretty fun to play, but they're definitely not the greatest games in the series as some people might have you believe. It's interesting to see the outbreak from the perspective of a common civilian but the online architecture for the time was so underdeveloped for the game, you had long loading screens and other lag issues from what I've heard. The canoncity of the games is also a subject of heated debate even to this day.
            Good games, but not amazing. Crappy online. Gotcha! Thank you. As for the canonicity, I don't even want to get into that. (Though, I don't see why it's an issue. The Outbreak games don't really effect the main storyline anyway, right? ..)

Originally posted by Vector View Post
            Oh, and that virus counter. I fuckin' HATED being on a timer.
            I HATE timers. If it's for the WHOLE duration of the game, that would not be good for me.. That's definitely a stumbling block..

I haven't given up on the game yet, I'm simply going with my current RE policy - sceptic until proven otherwise.
            That's exactly how I feel.

Without co-op, some of the joy of the game is gone. That being said, I never played them online and I really like them. They're a taste of the old RE and have some nice touches I enjoy, such as the constant feeling of panic thanks to zombies entering the room with you and the virus guage. Which is not to say they're perfect. I found the AI only sometimes helpful, although better than RE5's (where Sheva can be a damned nuisance) and there are some furstrating elements, such as the loading times of the first game and a couple of cheap enemies. All told, though, it's a fun game if you want to feel like just a bunch of average Joes in Raccoon City. Even with the more combative characters I never felt safe from danger, and since I usually play Yoko I was fairly often terrified. Given how cheap both files are (You can grab File 2, which has some improvements, with not real issue) there's really no reason not to give them a try.
            I hear ya! Thank you for the advice. If I'm feeling nostalgic I think I'll give #2 a shot. I see it at GameStop all the time. Cheap too. Couldn't hurt! My biggest gripe will probably be the virus timer. Again, thank you.

1 - Sheva refuses to run from the Executioner and gets axed before I can find her again.
            2 - Sheva runs in front of me when I'm trying to shotgun a Majini, takes an axe to the face, and goes into critical while I get mobbed.
            6 - Ran out of items and refused to move (Glitch, I assume, but still irritating by this point.)
            7 - Died a whole bunch of times when on a solo mission bit before the chainsaw boss. In fairness, I suck at sniping.
            YES. That was my EXACT experience with RE5. I tried playing the hardest difficulty to get the achievement/trophy and couldn't even make it past the first level due to Sheva constantly running into enemies.. And I have no one to play with. >:I
            sigpic

Comment

I think it's because the game's not really something most people have been asking for. It's not Outbreak, although it does have multiplayer. It's not a return to horror. It doesn't advance the storyline, even if it does end up being canon. Essentially, it's the game no one asked for...a squad based shooter with Resident Evil.

Now, for some folk that's awesome. It's exactly the kinda game they want. But let's be honest here...it's about as far from a Resident Evil game as they can get without going into space, and we all know how well that worked in Dino Crisis. Is it really that shocking that a lot of RE fans are just going 'meh' given that? So far it has two redeaming features...you can play with your friends, and it looks pretty.

I will agree, though, that people have to give the AI a chance. Sheva's was, from my own experience, awful. But it's not Capcom making the game. Slant Six is, and they may well have a better idea of how to make a partner you don't want to kill. Let's wait until we see the AI in action before we kill them all.

I haven't given up on the game yet, I'm simply going with my current RE policy - sceptic until proven otherwise.

Without co-op, some of the joy of the game is gone. That being said, I never played them online and I really like them. They're a taste of the old RE and have some nice touches I enjoy, such as the constant feeling of panic thanks to zombies entering the room with you and the virus guage.

Which is not to say they're perfect. I found the AI only sometimes helpful, although better than RE5's (where Sheva can be a damned nuisance) and there are some furstrating elements, such as the loading times of the first game and a couple of cheap enemies.

All told, though, it's a fun game if you want to feel like just a bunch of average Joes in Raccoon City. Even with the more combative characters I never felt safe from danger, and since I usually play Yoko I was fairly often terrified.

Given how cheap both files are (You can grab File 2, which has some improvements, with not real issue) there's really no reason not to give them a try.

Darkmoon, I just wanna say...
              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by PracticalAl View Post
                I HATE timers. If it's for the WHOLE duration of the game, that would not be good for me.. That's definitely a stumbling block..
                AMEN. I always wanted to just take my time and stroll around, looking at all the level designs such as the RPD with improved graphics...but no, I turn into a fucking zombie.

"One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                  AMEN. I always wanted to just take my time and stroll around, looking at all the level designs such as the RPD with improved graphics...but no, I turn into a fucking zombie.

Same with me! One of my favorite things about RE, namely the REmake and Zero, is exploring the area, staring at the beautiful backgrounds, reading notes/files etc.. And from the screens/videos I have seen, Outbreak's graphics look pretty good. Oh well.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shanemurphy View Post
                    Wait wait, are people calling me a troll because I just pointed out that this multiplayer game should be played with multiplayer?

My comment was better then most of the ignorance that comes from some of you so called "fans".

Ohh it's a new Resi coming out, time to complain about it without knowing even half of what the game has. Seriously I am shocked at my fellow Resi fans I think I would even listen to young Halo fans then most of the people posting in this forum and I really hate Halo!

So no it's not looking for attention or trolling it's a stupid attempt to smack some sense into the ignorant fans, I should have known it would be impossible.

Oh and just to add thanks to the people defending my comment from some people that just can't seem to stop using their limited edition hategoggles!
                    Y'know, I'm getting rather baffled by this kinda reaction. I assume you're considering me ignorant, since I'm one of the fans whose been rather negative about ORC? And I pointed out that, despite this being a co-op based game, it still needs the AI to be strong enough for a single player since not everyone has the desire to play online, or the luxury.

So, why exactly is it ignorant to be negative about a game based on the teaser trailers designed to show what the game's about, the articles, screenshots and all that jazz - but perfectly fine to be excited for it based on the exact same stuff? Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased so many people are excited for it. It's good to see a Resident Evil game do well, even one I personally don't think I'll enjoy or don't enjoy once I play.

What I'm trying to get at is this - everyone is being judgemental, whether they think the game looks excellent or whether they think it looks awful. Just because you disagree with how some folks, such as myself, view the game doesn't mean it's ignorant of them. I disagree with Stu, for example, on the Outbreak games but I certainly don't think he's ignorant. Quite the contrary, I think he's pretty smart.

Same with me! One of my favorite things about RE, namely the REmake and Zero, is exploring the area, staring at the beautiful backgrounds, reading notes/files etc.. And from the screens/videos I have seen, Outbreak's graphics look pretty good. Oh well.
                    Yeah, this is a big kick in the nuts. On the one hand I like the added sense of panic the virus timer adds. On the other, exploring and looking around is awesome fun. I suggest you play through the game once on whatever difficulty you wanna play, then go back and explore on Easy. You still have the constant enemies and the counter, but you do have a lot more time, and so long as you don't mind dying while you take a look around now and then you should be OK. It's not perfect, but it worked for me.

Comment

Y'know, I'm getting rather baffled by this kinda reaction. I assume you're considering me ignorant, since I'm one of the fans whose been rather negative about ORC? And I pointed out that, despite this being a co-op based game, it still needs the AI to be strong enough for a single player since not everyone has the desire to play online, or the luxury.

So, why exactly is it ignorant to be negative about a game based on the teaser trailers designed to show what the game's about, the articles, screenshots and all that jazz - but perfectly fine to be excited for it based on the exact same stuff? Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased so many people are excited for it. It's good to see a Resident Evil game do well, even one I personally don't think I'll enjoy or don't enjoy once I play.
                      Actually Dark, he's probably referring to me because I called him on being a horses ass with his initial comment.

Based on his reaction and how he's saying everyone who disagrees with him is stupid, I'd say I was right to declare him a troll.

Oh and I have to say this about RE: Outbreak:

Filled with wonderful ideas, but it didn't deliver them all every well.
                      Hiding from enemies was OK, being able to board up doors with the nail gun worked, but it was only a temporary option(It didn't last long enough in my opinion) and the melee combat options were a welcome addition, even though they were pretty limited.

The AI wasn't great but it know how to not get killed for the most part(Yes Sheva, I'm looking at you) and the infection meter kind of worked...but in the end it was a pain in the ass.

I actually hated how the characters move in the game because it feels like they're all 'floating', while the enemies can seem to move twice as fast as you.

I am hopeful that some of these elements return in RE:ORC and get a lot of refinement, but I'm still doubtful.

Wouldnt have said no to 'Outbreak:File 3' though

Comment

Was I the only one to play the Outbreak games, via PS2 HDD? The loading times really aren't that bad if you have the recommended hardware to play it.

Granted, it's bullshit that somebody would have to buy an extra peripheral to play the game smoothly, especially if that peripheral is only being used for Outbreak games.

Quoted again, for truth.

Sheva's AI is the only thing I really disliked about RE5 (I kinda knew what I was getting into, especially having played RE4 prior to RE5). Let's hope they get it right, so fun can be had.
                        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

This game looks very... different. I'm not going to write it off based on just a few videos and screens, but I am not crazy about the idea of computer-controlled teammates. Resident Evil just isn't the place for co-op; I like my RE single-player only. If enemies are going to be killed, I want to kill them. If items are to be found, I want to find them. Forced co-op never bothered me much in Outbreak, since both games eventually gave you the option to play solo, but Sheva was annoying as shit in RE5. Getting herself killed, wasting ammo, wasting healing items, screwing up my accuracy rating; that game would have been so much better if it were single-player only.

The trailer looked nice, although I'm not crazy about the "kill Leon" plot. A "kill Jill" plot would've made far more sense. I do, however, like the dark vibe of the game. They really made the city look very seedy and realistic (like Outbreak), which is different from the bright, cramped streets of RE3. Hopefully, though, we'll be able to see the "heart" of the city - where the skyscrapers are and everything. The city looks way bigger than we've ever seen it, too; I hope this game is massive and open-ended! I'd love to be able to explore classic locations from RE2, RE3, and Outbreak, and be able to enter as many random buildings as possible...

I always wanted to just take my time and stroll around, looking at all the level designs such as the RPD with improved graphics...but no, I turn into a fucking zombie.
                          One of my favorite things about RE, namely the REmake and Zero, is exploring the area, staring at the beautiful backgrounds, reading notes/files etc.
                          Both excellent statements, and I feel the same way. I love exploration.

This is how I feel about Mercenaries 3D...
                          Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

I must say that new trailer gives off a Outbreak feel, with the static that happens at the start and end. A nice nod

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                              JUST DO IT!

JUST DO IT!
                              HEEEEEEEEELPPPP HEEEEEEEEEEEELPP HEEEEEEEEEELLPP COMMEE OOONNN.

Jesus. The Cindy NPC voice in File 2 wanted me to stab my eardrums.
                              Also, some guy's attempting to make his own Outbreak server.
                              Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.
                              Seibu teh geimu?
                              ---

Comment

Originally posted by biohazard_star View Post
                                Also, some guy's attempting to make his own Outbreak server.
                                http://residenteviloutbreakserver.blogspot.com/
                                Oh shit, if he succeeds it would be gold.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X