Because I like making things as clear as humanly possible. Plus it’ll stop at least some arguing with us if we have these front and centre. The plan here is you guys review, we discuss, then I’ll pin these up somewhere everyone can see them and someone can announce them. And pow! No more, ‘Oh, I didn’t know we couldn’t talk about illegally downloading games’ as an excuse. And the like.
The Rules of The Horror is Alive
We here at the Horror is Alive hope you enjoy your time on the forums. To ensure the most pleasant experience for all our members and guests, however, we have included a short set of rules. Most of these are common sense. Since sense seems to have become a rare items at times, however, we’re going to list them anyway.
The Infraction Point System
To enforce the rules, the Moderator team here at the Horror is Alive use an Infraction System to help deal with any rule breaking. The Infraction System is essentially a automated way of giving out warnings and punishments to those who break the rules.
When someone breaks the rules, the Moderators can give them a number of Infraction points depending on exactly which rule is broken. A few ideas of what will get you what is listed below;
Double Posting - 1 Point
Excessive Swearing - 1 point
Spam - 1 Point
Insulting Other Members - 10 points
Piracy - 100 points
This is, of course, not a full list of infractions. Moderators are free to give out Infractions for any number of points, depending on how severely the rules have been broken. As a general guide, though, most things will only only earn you a single infraction point.
Infraction Points are also time dependant. They will run out after a set time, usually only a few days, and your number of Points will go back to zero. For cases when a person has repeatedly violated the rules, however, Infraction Points can be extended for as long as required, and even made permanent, so that a member will have less leeway before triggering a punishment.
Infraction Points are not simply a way of keeping track of how naughty someone has been, however. If you manage to reach certain goals the system will automatically ban you for a certain length of time. 30 points will earn a day long ban, 40 points a 3 day ban and 100 hundred points a month long ban. However, in the event of a particularly nasty event a Moderator can bypass the Infraction System to permanently ban a member. That member will then need to contact someone on the administration team if they ever wish to return to the forums, although it is very rare for someone who earns a permanent ban to do so.
General Rules - Be Excellent to Each Other
1) Please be polite to other members and treat them with a modicum of respect. This may be the Internet, but there is another person on another computer who has to deal with you being a meanie. Treat other members with respect.
- Insults are obviously against the rules. It’s one thing to argue with a person other an idea or opinion you disagree with, it’s another entirely to insult them. It also usually means you’re loosing the argument. So don’t do it.
- Needling other members into making personal attacks through small, malicious actions is also against the rules, as it tends to derail threads into bickering and arguments.
2) Spam is discouraged, as it tends to clutter a topic or the forum. Make sure what you are posting is relevant to the thread you’re posting in, or when posting a new thread make sure it’s under the correct category. Spam is generally considered to be an excess of irrelevant posts, or ones advertising something.
- Advertising fan projects, sites, and such is usually fine. Simply put them in the correct topic or, if you can’t find an existing topic, put the new thread in the right forum.
- We would prefer it if people avoided double posting, and as seen above, this can be punished by the Infraction System. You have the ability to edit your post with new information. Unless a day or two has gone by, or it's something like the News topic, please refrain from double posting if at all possible.
- Posting pornography of any type is not a good idea. Even stashed behind spoiler tags, with Not Safe For Work warnings. This may be an adult website but not that kind of adult website - please refrain from posting such images.
3) The Moderator staff, despite legends to the contrary, are not omni-present. It’s quite likely someone else will see someone violating the rules. When this happens please use the forum’s report function to bring a post to our attention.
- Occasionally, Trolls will start posting. Remember this important Mantra - I shall not reply to the troll. This makes the troll happy, which is an unnatural thing. I will instead report the troll so they can be banned and there posts deleted. This makes me happy instead.
- Equally, if someone does insult you remember not to insult them back. ‘They started it’ is not considered an acceptable as this forum is generally considered to be for adults. We expect members to have sufficient self control to not reply to personal insults. We will give out infractions for all the insults in a thread, not just the one who started it.
4) Piracy, including retail movies, games and music, is prohibited on the forum. Talking about piracy, how to pirate stuff or talking about how you pirated the latest game/movie whatever will result in a month long ban.
- A notable exception to this rule are game demos that are free, or the beta of a game that has been released, as these are acceptable to link for downloading. However, this does exclude betas of games that have not been yet released (but are still on track to be), and review/press builds that are identical to the retail game. We also reserve the right to remove a link as required. If you have a beta of a game that never made it to retail, please contact a member of staff.
- If you are talking about how you have seen or played a game early, then please explain how you have managed to see it early. Otherwise it’ll likely be assumed that you are committing piracy and will be banned for a month.
- Excuses are not acceptable. It doesn’t matter if you have pre-ordered a game or movie, or that it’s unfair how long you have to wait for it to be released where you are. You are still not allowed to post, ‘I just downloaded this movie’ regardless.
All rules, and there implementation, are up to the discretion of the staff at the Horror is Alive. They define exactly what qualifies for a broken rule and what doesn't. Since, as with all situations involving personal decisions, there is room for interpreation and you may feel you have been dealt with unfairly. If this is the case, feel free to contact an administrator.