No announcement yet.

The War on Horror has Begun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see no difference between this 'real world' news report ad and the 'fear you can't forget' garbage from RE5.

Comment

If you think about it for, I don't know, two seconds, you will. "War on Horror" is the antithesis of "Survival Horror."

"Fear you can't forget" tried to make you think RE5 was something it wasn't. "War on Horror," on the other hand, tells you exactly what Mercs is in plain English, because, you know, you're taking it to the monsters of a traditionally horror-focused franchise.
      Last edited by Archelon; 05-10-2011, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Except that there's no "horror" involved with Mercenaries. You're given an obscene amount of ammo(and in this game, customizable setups) to fight against slow groups of Majini/Ganados and the occasional 'mini-boss,' and now the ability to move and shoot. There's nothing 'horrifying' about it, except for maybe the pricetag.

Comment

You're just not getting it.

Comment

hor·ror

noun /ˈhôrər/  /ˈhär-/ 
            horrors, plural

An intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust
            - children screamed in horror

A thing causing such a feeling
            - photographs showed the horror of the tragedy
            - the horrors of civil war

A literary or film genre concerned with arousing such feelings
            - a horror movie

Intense dismay
            - to her horror she found that a thief had stolen the machine

Used to express dismay
            - horrors, two buttons were missing!

Intense dislike
            - many have a horror of consulting a dictionary

An attack of extreme nervousness or anxiety
            - the mere thought of it gives me the horrors

A bad or mischievous person, esp. a child
            - that little horror Zach was around

I do believe that seeing people's head's blown off with shotgun and miscellaneous arsenal can induce a feeling of horror. Blood, for example, is enough to terrify certain people. It is even disgusting, as seen by some, and clearly defined in official dictionaries of the English language.

What the hell do you people expect? Exactly what is your definition of horror? And no, I am not referring to "Survival Horror".
            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
              Except that there's no "horror" involved with Mercenaries. You're given an obscene amount of ammo(and in this game, customizable setups) to fight against slow groups of Majini/Ganados and the occasional 'mini-boss,' and now the ability to move and shoot. There's nothing 'horrifying' about it, except for maybe the pricetag.
              If you have a "War on..." generally you are trying to remove it, since you are warring against it, in Mercs you are trying wipe out the monsters, a source of horror.

Do you see?
              Last edited by Dracarys; 05-10-2011, 02:39 PM.
              Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

I want to meet the person who thought this ad was a good idea, then kick him in the balls. Ugh, seriously, what was this?

Comment

Originally posted by Bianca View Post
                  I want to meet the person who thought this ad was a good idea, then kick him in the balls. Ugh, seriously, what was this?
                  Agreed. This idea, from an advertising perspective, is just bad.

Instead I would love to see the guys who thought this one doing something for Mercs 3D.

That's how you promote a game.
                  Last edited by Beanovsky Durst; 05-10-2011, 03:32 PM.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Heh, I thought it was funny. You can't take something like that seriously.

Comment

OMG SOOO LOOOOOOOOOOOL X3

Comment

Lol at the stupid reactions to this video. Its times like these I feel bad for Capcom. There is no pleasing some fans. I thought it was a pretty good video, it was sort of like an aside joke to the fans but obviously some people have no sense of humour.

Comment

We don't like it, so it's a humour issue. Nothing at all to do with wanting quality out advertising.

Comment

Wow, quite the semantics war we have over here.

Nonetheless, I think complaining about the slogan is pointless and naive, being that representatives from Capcom have stated in interviews time and again that they're not focusing on "horror" (god, talk about a word that loses meaning whenever a new RE title's announced) with RE: Mercs 3D.

Vector, I think the issue Archelon took was that you specifically said that "Capcom's winning the war on horror," as if that's a concern of yours, and yet you fully supported a game that made no bones about being action oriented. It wasn't about whether the ad campaign held true or not, just your priorities.

Comment

I thought the video was cute, and as I already said, the ending made it for me.

There's really only so much you can do to advertise a game like Mercs 3D, since it's about as straightforward of a game as they come. Not to mention most gamers will already be familiar with it, having played RE4 and/or RE5.

To be honest, I'm more surprised Capcom went to the trouble of putting something like this together.

Comment

Aside from the ad, the game is looking amazing for the 3DS. Visually I mean.
                                http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                                http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                                Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X