Gamestop refusing trade-in on Mercenaries 3ds *UPDATED*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamestop refusing trade-in on Mercenaries 3ds *UPDATED*

Multiple sources are chiming in, confirming that due to the permanent save slot of Resident Evil : The Mercenaries 3ds, which has been in the headlines as of late, Gamestop has begun to refuse trade-ins on the title. Sources at destructoid and videogamewriters.com have called their local Gamestop stores and have reported that it seems to be company policy to refuse to take the game in.

More rumors have arisen regarding a potential recall of the game from EBGames in Australia, via Vooks.net, although I have yet to find a recognizable source on this one.

Sources : Destructoid, Videogamewriters, Vooks
    @Neogaf via Speedymanic

UPDATE : IGN is reporting that, starting tomorrow, Gamestop will start allowing trade-ins of the 3ds title.

Source : IGN
    END UPDATE
    Last edited by Borman; 06-28-2011, 08:49 PM.

I love how Capcom thought they could just say "Oh, it won't affect trade-in value, no worries!"

Comment

...so where was all this when Super Monkey Ball did it 3 months ago?
      Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

This? This is gonna cost some sales.

I foresee a patch in the not too distant future.

Comment

wanna know what i foresee? people canceling pre orders and returning the games unopened

Comment

I hardly ever trade in games...so I doubt this will ever be a bother to me. Am I annoyed that the game data can never be deleted? Not really, but down the line if I ever wanted to start over it may become an issue.
            sigpic
            Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

For some people it is a total non-issue. I almost never trade in games unless I didn't enjoy them. Anyone who does like trading in games, or likes to reset the game and do another virgin game, or planned to pick it up second hand...all outta luck.

Comment

There's still eBay, Amazon, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                  For some people it is a total non-issue. I almost never trade in games unless I didn't enjoy them. Anyone who does like trading in games, or likes to reset the game and do another virgin game, or planned to pick it up second hand...all outta luck.
                  The thing with that is you do not need reset the game to play and experience it like you did reset it. Aside from a couple "New map unlocked" messages the experience can be recreated perfectly, it is just that type of game. Used buyers hoping for a cheaper game can just wait for a price drop on a new one.

Despite this article I doubt the resale value will really be affected. Online passes didn't affect games.

Also no one has really brought it up but I'm sure my copy of SSFIV 3DS gave a warning about inserting the cart into another 3DS would reset rankings, even if returned to the original 3DS. This possibly has that too.
                  Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how other developers react to this. If this strategy really has killed the chances of used sales of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if more companies followed suit.

Comment

I am now officially openly rooting for this game to fail. Trade-ins are rarely worth a damn at GameStop but I know that Amazon and Best Buy actually give you a decent return on most games, so I'm interested to see if they follow suit.

Is this issue due to 3DS hardware or developer laziness?

Comment

It was a conscious decision by Capcom that has nothing to do with the 3DS hardware, or even lazy programming.
                        Last edited by Archelon; 06-28-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

ok called my gaemstop to check soem trade ins and they confirmed it. suggested magnets dishwashers and even bullets to wipe the game clean. they said they'd take it under advisement

Comment

Its not magnetic storage so

Comment

Originally posted by Borman View Post
                              Its not magnetic storage so
                              i was just being funny with them. at least i did not suggest threatening the cartridge with making sit in front of RE survivor!

Comment

Working...
                              X