No announcement yet.

Gamestop refusing trade-in on Mercenaries 3ds *UPDATED*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend Josh works at a Gamestop near here and he said they were still refusing trade ins of the game because of the save data issue. He went on saying that they have not gotten ant notice from corporate office on this matter either.
    Last edited by Zombie_X; 06-29-2011, 07:01 PM.
    My Head-Fi Page

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
      I am now officially openly rooting for this game to fail.
      I was rooting for this game to fail the minute it was announced. A version of a mini-game that you can play on RE5, but with missing characters that the fans wanted, more of the same RE5 action nonsense, and paying a high price for a game on a system that is high-priced and that most people probably don't even own yet. Add to the fact that you can't erase your saves if you wanted to start from scratch, which hurts its' trade value, and Capcom well aware of the disappointment from RE5, this game was destined to flop the moment it was conceived.

I'm just itching to know what the sales are going to be like.
      Last edited by RetroRain; 06-30-2011, 03:29 AM.
      My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
      ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

I did want the game to do well - more cash to Capcom means more Resident Evil, even if some of it is stuff I don't want. There were enough people who loved Mercs that this should have been a hit. It's ideally suited to hand held play.

But full price for a game with so many issues, and one that is made of mostly cut and paste with a 3D effect? Kinda less impressed now. This really isn't worth full retail, and the issues with the memory (and Capcom's possibly less than honest response) aren't doing it any favours.

The game really needed new levels, new characters, some form of mission mode. And people have mentioned the sound issues, too. The experience thing is a nice bonus, and the 3D effect is...OK. I turned it off when I tried it, but I don't like 3D that much. But other than that is feels kinda half baked. They needed to give it another 8 months and then it might have been done. At least, that's how it seems to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
          But other than that is feels kinda half baked. They needed to give it another 8 months and then it might have been done. At least, that's how it seems to me.
          Mikami: "Well, if I had to compare this to making stew, each ingredient was not bad; good vegetables and good meat. At the time I thought it would be a good stew if I threw everything into the pot and added a few But after tasting it, I though "What is this?". I knew that even if I let it cook, it would not turn out to be a good stew by a certain time."

My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
          ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

It might not have been to my taste, but that's fine - not all games are. I think most FPS' are awful, for example, and every sports game ever made. Ever.

This, though, simply doesn't offer enough different to what you can already do with previous Mercs games. Which you get for free. Another eight months might have provided enough extra content to make it worthwhile.

Comment

Why should Capcom care about trade-in value at all? They're not getting your money if you buy used and they're surely not the first company trying to "fight" against retailers that are getting money from their work.
              This has nothing to do with the game being a cheap, rushed job. They can still fix it by releasing some DLC for free but this is Capcom and "free" doesn't really exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                I don't place much stock in anything that Capcom say these days, they've openly lied before about other things. For example, I believe it was Sven or Snow who insisted that the Versus DLC for RE5 was not an unlock key even though it's a 100kb file.
                The file you buy is an unlock but two weeks or so before Versus released it recieved the patch data. Obviously it used a lot of on disc assets but it still was patched.
                Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
                  The file you buy is an unlock but two weeks or so before Versus released it recieved the patch data. Obviously it used a lot of on disc assets but it still was patched.
                  Fact.

Comment

I figured it was something like that. Mind you, I prefer how Rockstar have done it with the L.A. Noire DLC. When you download each case it's a nice healthy 1000mb+ of data you're downloading, I like to feel as though I've bought actual data as opposed to some unlock key to let me play what I already own.

I've worded that terribly but you get the general idea.
                    See you in hell.

Comment

You didn't really "own" versus (even online MERCS was added - for free - via Day 1 patch) until you bought the mode. It was a nifty little experiment that is, for some, preferable to something like L.A. Noire which likely removed at least 1 case from each desk to add as post release DLC and has the nerve to claim it's a "deal" to buy it all in a pack before it's all available.

I have worked on a LOT of games - most featuring DLC. Most users complain over content that truly wasn't part of the Alpha version of the game (like "Versus") but praise content that comes out a month later with a larger file size because it seems like less of a scam which isn't necessarily true. In fact, I once heard a person suggest they create a large useless file to make the download look like actual content. I have never worked on a title that did this but the suggestion sounded as if it came from experience.

Comment

Was it really like that? Because AFAIK even though there's no official Versus DLC on PC, you can still play it by enabling it through a trainer. All assets (including title screen) are on the disc. I believe it was the same with PS360 version.
                        Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 07-02-2011, 04:35 AM.

Comment

The PC version was released months later so the code would likely be there by then. It was NOT on the 360/PS3 version. Even the site that first misled people into thinking that clarified that they meant the modes contained no new content (weapons, costumes, etc) just using assets already on disc to create the mode. The download was the final piece of the code (rest installed via Title Update) that made the mode out of pre-existing content. Since PC was still in development it makes sense that the final Versus code (now on disc for Gold owners) would be found in PC version when finally released.

Comment

The 360 and PS3 version only had the assets. They didn't even have the code or anything else.
                            The PC version already had the assets AS WELL as the code, so it was simple once hackers got around it to create a Trainer that allowed you to play Versus; whilst not perfect to the console versions, still very good.

Comment

Working...
                            X