Sony reveals euro PS3 compadibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony reveals euro PS3 compadibility

Sony has released an official list of all PSONE and PSTWO titles as they relate to backwards compatibility with the Playstation 3. As some of you are aware, Sony has removed some internal parts of the PS3 and replaced them with cheaper ones in order to reduce the cost. This new system will likely eventually make its way across all territories. I've compiled a list of the games which should interest visitors most, as you can see most of the games will run fine however Resident Evil 4 will need more work.

The good thing is, this is just with the initial firmware that will be released alongside the PS3. 1.60, the list is as follows as of today:

You can check the website (which will be updated as new firmware's release) here.
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 03-20-2007, 08:55 PM.

I'll never get rid of my PS2, so no worries with me.

Comment

So, those with first wave JP and US PS3's wouldn't need to worry about this, correct?

Comment

Right, They have the hardware inside, however Carnivols understanding of this is that the emulator requires a support chip which takes the place of the Emotion Engine. It costs less, and has a few more connections to the Graphics Synthesizer of the PS2 hardware. One of his points was that the emulator will likely need to be reworked in order to work on launch models in the US/JP as it lacks these vital connections, and the support chip.

I think the eventual update to the first gen hardware will basically be required, as they dont want to segment the userbase already, and if the later models DO get the rumored native resolution bumps then its really early adopters who get bit in the ass with poor looking BC games on their PS3.

Maybe Carn can chime in on this as well, as he has a better understanding of it

Comment

The EE in the older model was one chip (it's the same combination chip used in the slim models). What the emulator does is simply emulate the EE itself for now, no more, no less. A chip to replace another that's being emulated sounds.. odd. Future updates will have to tap into the RSX for upscaling and AA.

The emulator is on tommorow's firmware update, and it won't have any affect naturally on the older models. The upscaling update will have to be seperate to work on both versions of the hardware.

If there were to be another chip, and the "upscaling" update was integrated into the same emulation software then a different emulator will be required to emulate that chip on the older models. If there is an emulation engineer reading this, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd hate to say it, but given the messy situation (and the fact that BC is lackluster), MS's way of full software emulation sounds a lot better now. At least you get to play most AAA titles with actual improvements.
          Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 03-21-2007, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Not impressed at all with Sony thus far. But since Capcom announced DMC4 is bound for the 360, I'm tempted to take the leap over that way.

Comment

Working...
            X