Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Smiley View Post
    I think you mean "Jill has been doing this for how many games now?"
    No, I meant years, because she's been on many more missions than what we see in the actual games.

Comment

• No, I'm sure you mean games. Because the concept of time is meaningless compared to how one designs the game play. We know Jill is highly trained to defend herself, but you don't need to see her kicking enemies across the room to realize that. REmake did just well without it. And what Jill does in RE3 does not reflect what she does in Umbrella Chronicles. Same time frame. Same character. Different results. Hopefully you can see the difference.

Bottom line: If you're going to design a game going back to its roots and making it horror oriented then you cannot rely on action elements to get you through. And if you can't accept Jill as anything but an action oriented fighter then perhaps she isn't the right character to lead a genuine horror game anymore.

Comment

• And if you can't accept Jill as anything but an action oriented fighter then perhaps she isn't the right character to lead a genuine horror game anymore
        When I see Jill running on the walls ala Prince of Persia and riding a freakin' missile like Solid Snake, I would agree that what you said there is accurate.

However, Jill in Revelations is nowhere close to those extremes. I think you're exagerating the situation here. If anything, Jill comes off as very well trained. And as someone who isn't likely to end up as Rachael/Boobarella or Brad Vickers.

Besides, even the old games had action. Crazy stuff like jumping from a train's window at full speed.
        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
        sigpic

Comment

• She was already doing that in RE5 when they turned her into Wesker 2.0

And one quick time decision, as unrealistic as that train scene was, doesn't equate to melee game play where she kicks enemies across the room. Where's the tension in that might I ask? Landing the perfect blow?

Comment

• All you have to do is look at Claire in CVX.

There you have a regular 19 year old student that can outrun bullets. And she also does pretty wild action stuff for someone that had zero training.

So al this wacky action stuff isn't new to the series.
            Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
            sigpic

Comment

• I never said action was new to the series. But you'd have to be daft to think they're the exact same. Claire was also trained by her brother, so her character isn't exactly untrained either as you suggested. But again it's how you handle the action.

You're confusing an FMV with game play. If the best you can pull from Code Veronica was a cutscene compared to actual melee combat then I don't know what to tell you. The earlier series had a point to save action scenes during the cutscenes and focus the game play separately. But for the record I never cared for those specific cutscenes either. I thought they were silly, and thankfully the gameplay never took advantage of that. Sure you can get the big guns and blow stuff all to hell, but you still had to work for it. Most of the time those big guns had even less ammo and the unlockable weapons took effort into obtaining.

In Revelations the boys at Capcom made a big deal about limited ammo and running from enemies. Avoiding confrontation. That's reminiscent to how the previous games worked. Except now you can take advantage of the melee combat to knock your enemies back allowing you enough time to escape or finish them off. That's not how the classics did things. That's how RE4 did things. And unless they find a way to limit it I don't see how gamers won't take advantage of this. At least in REmake your defense items were used sparingly.

Stylized melee kills the horror and ups the action. It's one of the reasons why the games become more and more like the movies. Where did thigh neck breaking get inspired from?

And look if you guys are fine with that then it's cool. I'm sure if you enjoyed RE4 and RE5 then this game will be right up your alley. But it's a mistake for Capcom to market this game as Resident Evil going back to its roots.
              Last edited by Smiley; 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Well...the Melee kick isnt bad....but I don't like the charge feature. I did like the RE4 Melee option upon stunning an enemy, but this feels a little off. It is cool to have it as its own option and all, but I think they could come up with a better way around the charge option.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                  All you have to do is look at Claire in CVX.

There you have a regular 19 year old student that can outrun bullets. And she also does pretty wild action stuff for someone that had zero training.

So al this wacky action stuff isn't new to the series.
                  Claire was trained by Chris.
                  PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by Smiley View Post
                    Forgive me for sulking yet again, but.....that melee...
                    I know.

Other than that, it doesn't look that bad. They need to take those melee moves out though. They don't belong in the game. When you give the characters those melee moves, all it does, as you said, is decrease the horror, and amp up the action. It gives the character "super-human" status, like they are more powerful than the enemies, which really defeats the whole purpose of having threatening enemies. But as I said once before, it's almost like Capcom has a hard time of letting go of the action. If they can squeeze action in it, they are going to do it. And it looks like they already did.

Hopefully other things about the game will make up for that.
                    Last edited by RetroRain; 09-14-2011, 12:18 AM.
                    My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
                    ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

• ...Capcom could make things a lot less of a pain if they could just allow players to turn the melees, action commands, etc. off or on based on preference and allow there to be a puzzle difficulty setting like Silent Hill 2.
                      Last edited by Four Eyes; 09-14-2011, 12:12 AM.
                      Revelations has a plot with twists everywhere. Way to go, Capcom, you successfully pulled off a mind-screw plotline.

Comment

• And there's no way for us to let them know, is there? I know sometimes they want to know what the fans want, but is there literally no way to let Capcom know that we think the melee moves system is a bad idea, or about your suggestion to turn it on or off? Is there an email address somewhere? Do you let them know of facebook? Do you post about it on Capcom-Unity, or have one of their moderators relay the message? Or, do they not accept any input at all from the fans when it comes to the actual game development? It would just be nice to let them know, you know what I mean?
                        Last edited by RetroRain; 09-14-2011, 12:19 AM.
                        My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
                        ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

• I dont think having melee moves is a bad idea, unless they do the RE5/3DS merc's melee moves where most melee moves are instant kills.

Being able to kick, shove and punch moves are fine as long as they dont do much damage and are effective 'knock backs' when things get tough.

punching a zombie shouldn't kill it...ya know unless its a falcon punch.
                          Last edited by Wrathborne; 09-14-2011, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• I'm fine with melee. What worries me is the way the enemy was writhing on the floor - it looks like death throes. Melee to stun or knock back is actually pretty good in horror games, as long as they don't put the enemy out of action for more than a split second, long enough to dodge past but not long enough for it to be safe. If you can stun the enemy with two, three shots and finish them with a melee kill, your average 15 round clip will kill 5 or six enemies compared to two or three zombies, so either ammo is going to have to be much, much more scare forcing you to use high risk melee kills or the melee moves are gonna have to toned back if this is gonna have any chance of being anything other than 'RE5 on a ship invaded by Aquaman.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                              I'm fine with melee. What worries me is the way the enemy was writhing on the floor - it looks like death throes. Melee to stun or knock back is actually pretty good in horror games, as long as they don't put the enemy out of action for more than a split second, long enough to dodge past but not long enough for it to be safe. If you can stun the enemy with two, three shots and finish them with a melee kill, your average 15 round clip will kill 5 or six enemies compared to two or three zombies, so either ammo is going to have to be much, much more scare forcing you to use high risk melee kills or the melee moves are gonna have to toned back if this is gonna have any chance of being anything other than 'RE5 on a ship invaded by Aquaman.'
                              It took 6 bullets (that hit) plus the melee to kill the enemy. I think the gameplay would be awful if you couldn't melee, always seemed stupid you could use a knife in RE games but not simply push the enemy back or kick it. A melee attack does not equate to being an action game, no more than using a gun does.
                              Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• Did it? I must have missed the first three. My bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X