Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RESIDENT EVIL: Distant Memories (WIP Mod)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No clue what the state of this thing is. The guys working on it (Team96?) don't frequent this place too often, but they have Enrico's old hacking boards as their main public communications hub.

Comment

there's also another project in the works on this forum with hunk as the star , and that also has limited updates , after that first fan game called DARK BIOHAZARD by yami I learned never get your hopes up for resident evil full game mods. people lose interest and can't be bothered to finish their work , or they say they have to stop because they have a new job or personal issues , so because you have a new job that means you never ever have any free time to work on something you enjoy ? don't bother showing off your work if your not going to finish it I say.

Comment

Originally posted by DangerousDave87 View Post
        Just another announced but never finished RE2 mods.
        Sadly you are mistake my friend. The mod is very much still alive, of course due to the team's own commitments, these always take longer in it's own fashion.

There has been quite a few additions to the engine of the game which will give it a new game feel than just a 'mod', we'll be sure to announce something big in the coming month.
        Zombies...zombies everywhere...

Comment

thats awesome. recently i found out about distant memories.....behind the mask (gun survivor) and team igas and mzd re 1.5 everything is well welcomed. its great theres fans out there that take their time to produce stuff for us to enjoy. thanks to all of you for all your efforts

Comment

The mod is dead as of today. Why? Lack of communication between the team, loss of interest, inactivity, and other team members moving onto other projects.

I really did want this to continue but sorry guys I guess it's over.

Mortician and DXP had originally went on to making a RE 1.5 mod of their own as a side project but then quit that and started on an unrelated game now. I had no clue about it until today. So yeah they're doing their own thing now.

Since it's dead I'm going to release the things I've worked on because I hate things going to waste and I'd rather the community be able to have access to them. I hate keeping unused things private. Don't worry I've already got the go ahead to release them.

Included are various enemies(mostly zombies), characters, inventory items and portrait images, usable weapons, ammo models, and a few sounds. Most of which is stuff from 2012-2013.
            DOWNLOAD
            >>>Distant Memories<<<
            DOWNLOAD

Comment

Extremely sexy zombie textures. If I may suggest one improvement: don't triangulate the result, try using quads (or keep them) as much as possible, as triangles tend to consume a lot more resources.
              Last edited by Gemini; 06-20-2014, 08:23 AM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
              , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Sad to hear that, really, but anyway thanks a lot for share that nice pack with us Rusty!

Comment

So predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                    Extremely sexy zombie textures. If I may suggest one improvement: don't triangulate the result, try using quads (or keep them) as much as possible, as triangles tend to consume a lot more resources.
                    yeah. in low poly on retro hardware or old framework you dont always want to triangle things. even if quads often is frown upon today.

Comment

Well I'm sad to hear the project is dead, but I guess it was to be expected. Fantastic zombies btw, by far someoc the best I've seen from the modding community, it is a shame not to see them in DM!

Comment

Predictable, if a little sad yes.

I guess with small teams like this, one or more people within lose interest, and the whole thing breaks apart....

I wonder how many fan projects (of any series, not just RE) end up unfinished like this? 90% (fingers crossed IGAS finish theirs!)
                        "I never thought any of this stuff my brother taught me would work!"

Comment

Originally posted by B.Zork View Post
                          yeah. in low poly on retro hardware or old framework you dont always want to triangle things. even if quads often is frown upon today.
                          Why is one more resourceful than the other? I never understood why it mattered what shapes you use to create a model. Squares, triangles, they all seem very much the same to me despite the small differences. :/

Comment

Originally posted by geluda View Post
                            Why is one more resourceful than the other? I never understood why it mattered what shapes you use to create a model. Squares, triangles, they all seem very much the same to me despite the small differences. :/
                            think of it like square. square is object consist of 4 corners if in quads. if you do square in tris you have 6 corners.

Comment

Because of limited ram, at least on older consoles. Drawing a polygon on the PlayStation, with gouraud shading support, costs about 52 bytes for a quad and 40 for a triangle. A quadrilateral can be represented with two triangles and no apparent visual changed, but you're actually using 80 bytes instead of way less. You can do the math and see how much it grows bigger when you have everything triangulated, which is the main reason why RE1 models aren't present in great numbers for a single scene. It's also slower in terms of CPU consumption because you're processing double the number of vertex transformations.

Other than that, there is no change on recent systems (more or less, most formats still support quads), aside from a few issues you may experience when you're modeling.
                              Last edited by Gemini; 06-20-2014, 12:09 PM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                              , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                                Because of limited ram, at least on older consoles. Drawing a polygon on the PlayStation, with gouraud shading support, costs about 52 bytes for a quad and 40 for a triangle. A quadrilateral can be represented with two triangles and no apparent visual changed, but you're actually using 80 bytes instead of way less. You can do the math and see how much it grows bigger when you have everything triangulated, which is the main reason why RE1 models aren't present in great numbers for a single scene. It's also slower in terms of CPU consumption because you're processing double the number of vertex transformations.

Other than that, there is no change on recent systems (more or less, most formats still support quads), aside from a few issues you may experience when you're modeling.
                                Oh so RE1 uses tris and RE3 uses quads? I would have expected it to be there other way around as tris are capable of creating more complex shapes. I guess that's why I never quite understood it!

Comment

Working...
                                X