RE Operations Raccoon City & RE Revelations Gamers Day 2011 Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
    Bad dialogue isn't new. Very few of the games actually took their script seriously. The rest had cheese.
    That's basically the point.

Operation Raccoon City is trying to pretend it is completely serious. Which comes off as forced, awkward, melodramatic and pretentious.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

You could say the same thing about the earlier games. There's a lot of good talent in the classics, but the stuff they had to work with makes gamers think they're either non-actors or melodramatic. It would come off as forced.

Take Code Veronica. Some of those scenes with Steve were meant to be taken seriously.
      Last edited by Smiley; 10-31-2011, 02:27 PM.

Comment

You could say the same thing about the earlier games. There's a lot of good talent in the classics, but the stuff they had to work with makes gamers think they're either non-actors or melodramatic. It would come off as forced.

Take Code Veronica. Some of those scenes with Steve were meant to be taken seriously.
        Sure. That's about one or two characters per game.

Not a whole game. Even the Inserted Evil shit is irritating.
        Last edited by News Bot; 10-31-2011, 02:32 PM.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Meh, I still don't see the problem.

But can someone confirm something for me. Wasn't HUNK's line about war ripped from Umbrella Chronicles? I'm not sure.

Comment

Meh, I still don't see the problem.

But can someone confirm something for me. Wasn't HUNK's line about war ripped from Umbrella Chronicles? I'm not sure.
            Pretty much.

http://youtu.be/NhPTG08xg3U?t=4m9s

Comment

Steve was a 17 year old kid, locked up on a prison with no idea where his parents are, the father who happens to have turned into a zombie and killed by his own son(Steve)'s hands.

It was bad yes, but believable and nothing over the top. Sometimes I think people just get on the bandwagon to bash something without even knowing what they're talking about.

Those scenes were MEANT to be that way, to show his character and personality progression throughout the game. Look at him, a whiny little kid in the beginning, and a serious-toned , almost a man, by the end of the game at his death scene, where he accepts the situation, admits he was wrong about people helping others in reference to Chris coming to save them, and simply tells Claire he loves her, nothing over the top, nothing over romantic, done and done.
              Last edited by ElusionM; 10-31-2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Watched the whole trailer for Revelations now. That game is seriously looking like the real deal. Very impressed.
                http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Well, the minigun is a big slap in the face, but I think I can handle it.

I thought about halfway through the ORC trailer something looked fishy, compare the first appearance of the Nemesis in Resident Evil Apocalypse and when you see him for the first time in the trailer walking through the fire, it almost seemed like a frame by frame steal...

I guess they were too lazy to play the original games for source material and just went with the movies..

Oh well :/

Comment

On second thought, you're right News Bot. The dialogue has always been bad, but not necessarily pretentious. It started in RE5 when they were in denial about RE being campy, and tried to take the bad dialogue seriously... Ugh..
                    Last edited by PracticalAl; 10-31-2011, 03:03 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Could it be that the main difference between the old school cheesy dialogue and the "pretentious" dialogue from ORC, is that the old games were written by (the always corny) Japanese writers while ORC is probably being written by some American/Canadian/European (fanfic) writer?

Anywhoo, I don't know why News Bot gets all worked up about how ORC messes up canon. Since the game is as canon as RE: Gaiden was. Its just a shoot'em up game for the FPS crowd. Catering to their needs. Not trying to accomplish nothing more or to seriously add to the main series. I don't think the makers of ORC are like hiding that fact from anyone.

And Revelations looks awesome. Feeling really good about it.
                      Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                      sigpic

Comment

New ORC story interview http://www.gametrailers.com/video/st...nt-evil/723336 Looks like we will start game as HUNK infiltrating Birkin's lab...Awesome
                        Spoiler:

Comment

I do understand News Bot's (and other people's) gripes about ORC. Giving Nemesis a minigun, the tuf guy "this is war, I am badass yada yada" dialogue that caters to the teenage COD crowd, and the butchering of details (e.g. Nemesis, Nicholai's surname) are annoying. I actually thought the scene in the trailer where Leon and Claire are pinned down in the rail yard looked pretty cool, until Claire spoke. She sounds like a little girl. Is that even Alyson's voice?

I do like the way they made the city look at about 0:42 in the trailer, though. That is the Raccoon I remember, not skyscrapers and shit. Also, at 1:52, that definitely sounds like Jill. It's not evil-sounding enough to be one of the USS women. Overall, although this non-canon game has some negative changes to source material, at least it will bring back some nostalgia. I love the screenshots of G-Birkin, and I think it's awesome that we get to fight him!

The only negative thing I can say about Revelations thus far is that it's coming out on a handheld system! I don't know why Capcom would spend so much of their resources to fine-tune a game that many gamers aren't going to bother with. On one hand, it's amazing that these graphics exist on a handheld, but on the other, it makes me wish they were in beautiful HD on the big consoles. I'm also concerned about the control scheme - playing the DS for long periods of time makes my hands cramp up, whereas controllers for home consoles don't.

Overall, I liked the trailer. I really liked the scene where the city is being attacked, with the Hunters cutting people down in the streets. Hopefully Lumley and Cetcham won't be filler characters just to die off halfway through the game, as they seem somewhat interesting.

Raid Mode seems like Mercenaries without a timer, which automatically makes it 100 times better than Mercenaries in my book. Yeah, it's action-based, but the reality of it is that they probably had to include a mode like this to ensure that the game sells well. Survival horror isn't exactly all the rage these days, especially on a handheld system that is typically associated with a pre-teen age group.

Gotta love Jill in the Raid Mode trailer plunking away at several Hunters with a handgun! Also, in the Raid Mode gameplay video, what's with the "enemys routed" typo? Get your act together, Capcom!
                          Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                            Xfactor might want to correct his initial post. The trailer quite clearly shows Parker playable in Raid mode. It's not limited to Chris and Jill.
                            I am going by what the press release is written, but you are right either. I'll go and revise my post.

Comment

Its a damn shame that these two games werent on the opposite platforms. I think Revelations should be Ps3/Xbox and OCR Nintendo DS. They both look like good games but Rev seems much more like my kinda game. However I am really not crazy about buying another console just to play 2 RE games. I may wait for the price drop. Also do you think that Rev would be ported to Ps/Xbox someday? I dont see why not and I'd much rather play it on a large HDTV screen than handheld mobile phone screen.

Loving the nostalgic feel from OCR but REV looks like a survival horror game. Big thumbs up to both though.

BTW I hate the movies as much as anyone else but just cause Nemesis carrys a gattling gun doesnt mean game over before its even released. Thats silly. Oh yeah and Nicholai looks super badass.

Comment

Originally posted by xfactor View Post
                                Seems a bit too linear for my tastes, but I'm not surprised. Why is it so dark?

It's cool that you can gather pieces of evidence to unlock concept art galleries. It's also nice to know that they changed the subtitles to proper lettering (as opposed to the all-caps seen in the early version). And why does Lupo sound like an 80-year-old woman who smokes three packs a day?

What's with the scene where the USS team encounters Nicholai? I love how the tone of the scene is that these USS cyborgs are actually more threatening than Nicholai! Vector: "Is this guy a loose end?" Lupo: "He's UBCS, he'll get himself killed." Haha, what a joke. Nicholai could have killed them all right there if he wished.

I'm assuming that the dialogue changes during the cutscenes depending on which of the four characters are selected. That's kinda cool. I wonder how the above scene would have played out if Lupo and Vector were not chosen characters.

Vector being able to disguise himself as his enemies is beyond ridiculous. I can even accept the light-bending cloaking stuff, but this is just a whole new level of stupid. The melee system also seems highly flawed; what's to stop you from just spamming the melee button throughout the entire game?! Oh well, at least your health doesn't automatically regenerate.

Finally, that's the interior of city hall in a small midwestern town?! Looked a lot smaller in RE3, haha.
                                Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Working...
                                X