RE Operations Raccoon City & RE Revelations Gamers Day 2011 Update 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
    That's their description, really. Their official name is just "Blob". I hope it's not a pattern now.
    That's amazing. Well, at the very least, "Ooze" fits these creatures waaaaaay more than "Blob" for the creatures in LiN.

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
    The mother fucking hunters are mother fucking invisible...well predator style camouflage.

http://the-magicbox.com/1111/game111101d.shtml
    Yup, that was already posted in the other thread I believe, first post. Still not sure what to think of that, but hey, if the novistadors did it in RE4, why not, right?
    Last edited by Spera01; 11-02-2011, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Well glad to know 'going back to its roots' was just another throw away remark. There really isn't any ground to hark back to the "playstation era", even for a hand held game. Have fun with your overpriced 'survival horror' experience guys.
      Last edited by Smiley; 11-02-2011, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spera01 View Post
        Yup, that was already posted in the other thread I believe, first post. Still not sure what to think of that, but hey, if the novistadors did it in RE4, why not, right?
        Ah The bug bastards! Forgot about them!

Comment

Originally posted by Spera01 View Post
          Hey, all the enemies were invisible in the REmake's Invisible Mode. So the technology isn't new.
          Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
          sigpic

Comment

"And Slant Six [are] huge Resident Evil fans; they've studied up, they know the timeline, they know the characters, and they gave us a lot of awesome ideas, a lot of which we used, and a lot of which did conflict with canon"
            How about go fuck yourself Jones.

fits into the timeline
            Bullshit.

fits into the story
            Bullshit.

it does not conflict with the canon
            Bullshit.

and you can play it in a way that does not disrupt Resident Evil 2 or 3 at all
            I gues-- oh, no, bullshit.

I wish I had Mike Jones or any of the other Slant Six members contact details, or the ability to conduct an interview. I'd call them out on all of their nonsense. They don't have a clue what they're doing or what they're talking about.
            Last edited by News Bot; 11-02-2011, 07:20 PM.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by alexdz View Post
              And as far as I'm concerned the RE movies don't come near the number of Transformers.
              Do you mean "aware"? As "concerned" makes no sense. Also, I wouldn't expect R-Rated film series based on games to draw as much money as PG-13 films made for younger generation. That's an absurd comparrison to begin with. If you dislike the fils, fair enough but at least understand that A) each new film has made more than the last so far and B) it's the only game to movie series that has made it this far.

People always whine about these films when, in truth, nothing will satisfy everyone. No adaptation will ever be spot on or as compelling as playing the damn game. I embrace the changes because I've seen "faithful adaptations" and they always ruin the continuity of what they're based on. Is Alice in the games? No, because Capcom respects that the two continuities are different - why is it some others' can't? It's even funnier to see people complain about the bloody outfits as if the characters in the 5th film that shares little to do with the games should suddenly be perfect incarnations of a different canons character. Seriously, people that actually enjoy the flicks should be happy they bothered trying to make any resemblence to the game counterpart and people that don't like the films really shouldn't care as it's unlikely you'll suddenly decide at the 5th film that they matter to you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDevilBringer View Post

People always whine about these films when, in truth, nothing will satisfy everyone. No adaptation will ever be spot on or as compelling as playing the damn game.
                That..is because Hollywood doesn't give a fuck about the story or characters of any game they acquire the rights to make, because they don't want that. They want the brand name and the freedom to do whatever they want with it. Hollywood hates the video game industry because now they're direct competition.

Theres never been a good adaptation of a video game movie.

The closest we've gotten is an 'Ok' Mortal Kombat film.

But RE has a good story, setting, monsters, and a great oppertunity to give the characters some real personality and make a genuinely good film. That won't happen Until A, a film bombs hard, or B Constantin Films and Anderson lose the film rights.
                Last edited by Wrathborne; 11-02-2011, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Because of Hollywood? No. RE had a good story. Good characters, pacing, scares, etc - for a game. Hollywood - no, FILMAKERS don't do direct adaptations because they can't. They can't condense a 8-15 hour story into a 90 minute coherent plot that will appease fans AND average moviegoers that never played a game. You consider what they're doing is "butchering" the series but they aren't. They're telling their own story with nods to the game. Butchering it would be to try and condense the lengthy (and often puzzle platforming centric) events of such large games into a popcorn flick. It's not Hollywood's fault or Anderson's. Capcom rejected the terribly written Romero screenplay because it crapped all over the plot and characters of RE and approved Anderson's version because it distanced itself.

You hate the films? Good news, you can still play the game and take comfort knowing no one can turn that experience into a 90 minute failure. Also, for what it's worth, it is very clear that the games popularity has managed to increase a lot since the films have made the series more known to even non-gamers over the years and that's not a bad thing.

Comment

Wow, you sir fail.

First off you're defending Hollywood for not trying and blaming it on gameplay length. Length has very little to do with it, especially when the original RE games length was between 3-4 hrs, and about 30 minutes of that is backtracking,loading screens, and puzzles.

The story is shorter than the gameplay so that argument is shot.

Second, Filmakers don't do direct adaptations because they cant? Bullshit. Filmakers are able to do whatever they want as long as the studio gives them an Ok.

People like Kevin Tancharoen who are fans and do stuff independently can prove that their vision closer to the source material is what the fans really want, which is why after his MK web series he was hired to write and direct the new MK film reboot.

Hollywood is bound to its audience for better or worse which is usually what we end up with.

Next saying Hollywood is telling their own story with nods to the game....I just said that. You didnt listen and chose to tell me what I already said.

Fourth, Anderson was hired because he distanced himself from the material? Wrong. Anderson was hired before he had a draft written because he was the only hollywood director who had a video game adaptation that was considered a real success at the time.

Fifth Yes, Romeros script was pretty bad. But we dont know what draft the one released on the net was. Its there to read, and we all know its pretty iffy, but it could have just been draft 1 or 2. And those barely count as anything more but a possible plotline with lots of detail. I know the screenwriting process well enough to say that.

Sixth, Capcom has no real say in the films developments or stories at all. They signed the rights over to a film production company with a few small rules and the company makes the choices on its own.

So now that we've gone over what I've said twice now because you chose to ignore it the first time around, The reason you think that Filmmakers don't do direct adaptions is just your opinion on the matter. But its your opinion, not a fact. I've heard several facts on why Hollywood doesnt do it from friends who work in the industry as well as in interviews.

Bottom line is that Hollywood just wants the brand.

As long as they put out something that says Resident Evil put in a few zombies, titties, and explosions people will watch it.
                    It takes less time and dedication and is faster to make than a real film. We all know its true because they're making a 5th film while we argue.

End rant nao.
                    Last edited by Wrathborne; 11-03-2011, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Also, for what it's worth, it is very clear that the games popularity has managed to increase a lot since the films have made the series more known to even non-gamers over the years and that's not a bad thing.
                      I disagree; I think it's a very bad thing. The movies started getting popular with those who had never played the games, and since the movies are nothing but action-fests, these fans wondered why the games weren't the same thing. Many were frustrated that the games were not easily accessible (difficult controls and unorthodox camera angles, for example) and actually required some higher brain functions to successfully play (e.g. puzzles). They were used to their 90-minute action crapfests and demanded that the games deliver that aspect. Due to the increasing amounts of movie fans whining about it, I believe that the game series was changed to better suit their wishes. Look at RE4 and the games that came after it - you can't deny that a lot of that stuff was influenced by Anderson's shit films.

I don't care that the films are "distanced" from the game series when it comes to plot; I wouldn't want films that are nearly identical to the games. What annoys me is that they completely misrepresent what Resident Evil is all about to many longtime fans. The genre of the films (action) is completely different from that of the early games (horror). If the sequels to the first film were done in a similar manner to it, I don't think fans of the games would care nearly as much. But instead, Anderson has decided to put character after character from the games into his films believing that the fans of the games will "absolutely love it!" He has admitted to never actually playing the games himself, and thus he should have stuck with the formula from the first film and just created his own characters. However, since he obviously has little originality in his writing, that just wouldn't work. So instead he brings in characters from the game and completely changes them around to the point that, in some cases, they can't even be identified as having anything in common with the original character (aside from name and appearance). I admit that the first movie was somewhat entertaining, but the sequels went down the hill (or should I say mountainside?) rather quickly in terms of quality. Remember when Nemesis had feelings?

However, I won't deny that this post has much bias; I absolutely despise Hollywood and the film industry (kind of like how Wesker hated Chris). I believe that the majority of them are selfish, greedy fucks who will do anything for a buck. Like Wrathborne, I also have friends (and relatives) who work in the industry, and after what they told me about it, I don't understand why they just don't get the hell out of it and find another line of work. Granted, the gaming industry is also undoubtedly filled with many undesirable characters and corporations, but I don't believe it to be as bad as Hollywood.
                      Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

You hate the films? Good news, you can still play the game and take comfort knowing no one can turn that experience into a 90 minute failure. Also, for what it's worth, it is very clear that the games popularity has managed to increase a lot since the films have made the series more known to even non-gamers over the years and that's not a bad thing.
                        I'd say RE4 paved the way for the series popularity and the third person shooter genre before I would say the movies. And while it had a few movie references sprinkled in the game did well on its own being the first RE game to not use zombies. I should also mention that outside of RE5 the launch games with the most success were the first three RE games on playstation. It's not as though the series had only gained popularity just because the movies existed.

Romero's draft that's all over the net was also written in 1998. How many games have released since then? The script might not have been the best thing he's written but if you looked at the first two RE games as his source material can you really blame the man? Even RE enthusiasts like yours truly know the original game script has some pretty silly dialogue.

As far as the movies are concerned the only reason I see them as successful is a mixture of the gaming community alongside people who do just want to see a popcorn flick. It's pure trash, but entertaining enough to find an audience out there. I like zombies and watching people fight evil corporations. Whether the movie is bad or not doesn't reflect going out to the movies with friends and having fun with it or at how bad it is.

We've seen lots of things that deviate and still end up successful. The Dexter TV series. Kubrick's take on the Shining being a few of my favorites. What they leave out from the source material they make up for in other areas be it good writing or memorable characters.

When I saw the first RE movie I was entertained but couldn't remember a single character's name in that flick. They were generic nameless characters that died off and "that chick from the 5th element".

Now a days the more game elements they toss in the easier it is to pick apart. The loveable and supportive comrade Nicholai.

Click image for larger version

Name:	48977-26392.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	400654

Carlos "I spelled his last name wrong" Olivera.

Name:	1225912-re2_carlos_olivera_2.jpg
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	400655

Chris Scofield.

Name:	resident_evil_afterlife_movie_image_wentworth_miller_01-600x399.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	400660

Some girl in the back named Jill or something.

Name:	jkkrz7idk8h88hd.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	400661

Chairman Wesker.

Name:	r1.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	400662

And then as far as movie characters go we've got Mike Epps.

Name:	2007_resident_evil_extinction_014.jpg
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	400656

Johnny Cage...

Name:	Chase.PNG
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	400657

Not Jason Issacs...

Name:	Sam_Isaacs.JPG
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	400658

And Sarah Conner.

Name:	resident3-2.jpg
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	400659

All these "interesting" characters that needed to be in the movie over legitimate game characters. I wasn't expecting Jill to push a crate for 90 minutes. But you got to expect the characters you grew up with in some form of plot reminiscent of the earlier games.
                        Last edited by Smiley; 11-03-2011, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                          Wow, you sir fail.

First off you're defending Hollywood for not trying and blaming it on gameplay length. Length has very little to do with it, especially when the original RE games length was between 3-4 hrs, and about 30 minutes of that is backtracking,loading screens, and puzzles.

The story is shorter than the gameplay so that argument is shot.

Second, Filmakers don't do direct adaptations because they cant? Bullshit. Filmakers are able to do whatever they want as long as the studio gives them an Ok.

People like Kevin Tancharoen who are fans and do stuff independently can prove that their vision closer to the source material is what the fans really want, which is why after his MK web series he was hired to write and direct the new MK film reboot.

Hollywood is bound to its audience for better or worse which is usually what we end up with.

Next saying Hollywood is telling their own story with nods to the game....I just said that. You didnt listen and chose to tell me what I already said.

Fourth, Anderson was hired because he distanced himself from the material? Wrong. Anderson was hired before he had a draft written because he was the only hollywood director who had a video game adaptation that was considered a real success at the time.

Fifth Yes, Romeros script was pretty bad. But we dont know what draft the one released on the net was. Its there to read, and we all know its pretty iffy, but it could have just been draft 1 or 2. And those barely count as anything more but a possible plotline with lots of detail. I know the screenwriting process well enough to say that.

Sixth, Capcom has no real say in the films developments or stories at all. They signed the rights over to a film production company with a few small rules and the company makes the choices on its own.

So now that we've gone over what I've said twice now because you chose to ignore it the first time around, The reason you think that Filmmakers don't do direct adaptions is just your opinion on the matter. But its your opinion, not a fact. I've heard several facts on why Hollywood doesnt do it from friends who work in the industry as well as in interviews.

Bottom line is that Hollywood just wants the brand.

As long as they put out something that says Resident Evil put in a few zombies, titties, and explosions people will watch it.
                          It takes less time and dedication and is faster to make than a real film. We all know its true because they're making a 5th film while we argue.

End rant nao.
                          Wow. I didn't point it out last time because most of your argument seemed to stem from your hatred towards the films so I assumed you weren't thinking clearly - but these films weren't made in Hollywood. I'm not defending anyone - I'm just using logic to consider the facts. You remember the first Street Fighter film? It had all the characters in the correct outfits and tried to incorporate the "plot" from the game. How did that work? And you're wrong about opinions versus facts - we both have our own opinions on these films; I haven's actually shared mine. But it isn't an opinion that filmmakers don't do direct adaptations as it is a fact that they haven't managed to ever pull one off even when they tried (in terms of games, books have gotten a lot closer).

You can continue to whine about Hollywood or this or that rather then listen to reason but, honestly, it sounds like most people on this forum just want something to complain about. Seriously, it's bad that RE is popular now? If the 4th game didn't make the sales it did Capcom was going to stop distributing outside of Japan. And RE4 did do amazing but the films were released before it and did help get more attention on the game series. Either way, I've said my peace but most people would rather complain without any rational thought then actually consider everything involved. And I mean no disrespect to anyone that may have made a point in a response that I missed but when a huge rant about "evil Hollywood" goes on and on and on - it's pointless to discuss it anymore as that is just an argument for argument's sake. No validity in any of it.

Comment

If the 4th game didn't make the sales it did Capcom was going to stop distributing outside of Japan.
                            Suuuuuure they would.

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                              "it does not conflict with the canon"

bullshit.
                              Dude, they did say:

...and a lot of which did conflict with canon
                              So there you go.

The only problem I have with ORC is that it shifted the threat factor away from the legendary Raccoon City zombie/virus outbreak that we all know, and placed it almost entirely on a bunch of Umbrella Operatives. So instead of doing what they did in the original game (trying to deal with a zombie infestation and hoping to survive it), Leon & Claire now have to deal with ppl trying to kill them. As if anyone knew their true potential back in those days.

But that's not really an issue. Since this is a "what-if" type of game. So why complain about something tha they have made pretty obvious.

EDIT: NEW ORC interview:

"Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is an interesting step for Capcom" said Jones. "Resident Evil has traditionally been a survival/horror franchise and a little bit slower-paced, a little meatier in a horror type of game. Operation Racoon City is much more of an action sort-of third-person gameplay experience."

Jones says they're making the game for fans of the series who prefer more action-packed games and he points out that action is the way the R.E. games have been going in recent years anyways.

"Resident Evil 4 and 5 actually took Resident Evil survivor/horror gameplay a little closer to action TPS gameplay, but we've always been asked by fans to make a fully-fledged TPS action game," Jones explained.
                              SOURCE: http://www.news10.net/entertainment/...sponse-to-fans
                              Last edited by Pikminister; 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM.
                              Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                              sigpic

Comment

Listen to reason? I already stated reason you're just focusing on one aspect of my argument and beating it like a dead horse and using it to praise Hollywood for making the games known to a wider audience.

I never said anything about Hollywood being evil, I did say that they're lazy.

Since you dont seem to be able to look beyond the bare bones of what I'm saying even though I broke everything down, your argument is invalid.

Comment

Working...
                                X