Capcom-Unity Explain Why Classic RE Style is Not Returning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beanovsky Durst View Post
    I was refering to the fact that ME3 let's you play the game the way you want it. You like action, fine, we fit the experience to your needs.
    You don't really play how you want it though, is 3 versions of pretty much exact same thing only there is more or less interaction on story, what you're suggesting with RE would be like if they try and make ME3 turn based combat with all attacks contained within text menus as an optional way to play.
    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Maybe. But it shouldn't be impossible to include a 'Classic Mode' mode of some kind. More difficult enemies in lower numbers, less ammunition, melee stunted/removed, no moving while shooting/jumping/penguin sliding along the rails. In the same way that Story Mode in Mass Effect 3 reduces the fights difficulty, the numbers you face and makes sure all the dialogue options are available. More difficult, but not impossible...and not bloody likely.

Comment

We won't forget you guys though... but I can't tell you how or why yet.

..... Thoughts? Speculation?

Comment

Originally posted by Reston View Post
          We won't forget you guys though... but I can't tell you how or why yet.

..... Thoughts? Speculation?
          Probably some minor Revelations DLC or something. Trust me - don't get your hopes up.
          Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Let's stay on topic guys.

Anyway, I played the Mass Effect 3 demo and liked it. Not overly impressed, but enjoyed it nonetheless. For once I agree with Dracarys. Yes, that's right. We're talking about Mass Effect 3, which to be fair is more deserving of our collective thought and discussion than more of Capcom's derogatory nonsense towards the fans.
            See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
              Let's stay on topic guys.
              Wait WHAT?!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1238157980_scanners_-_head_explosion.gif
Views:	1
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	400904
              sigpic

Comment

I think this place needs to be a bit more casual, not getting too off topic but not penalising those who decide to do so. We use the internet to escape the rules of reality.
                See you in hell.

Comment

Yeah...

If a conversation evolves to a different but still related topic, sure. Turning a conversation about Capcom telling us we're all horribly wrong for not loving them anymore into a conversation about the (admittedly awesome and delightful) Mass Effect series take it a little too far. If you wanna compare Mass Effect and Resident Evil, that's a whole new topic. And one that sounds awesome, ending with Capcom anally bleeding and weeping as BioWare high fives reality itself.

Comment

Oh, not comparing at all but rather allowing everyone here to talk about something more uplifting! Who here wants to talk about Capcom slagging us off and essentially labelling us as brainless troglodytes who go insane if we don't kill something every five seconds? I think the vast majority of us here would much prefer to discuss our thoughts and theories on Mass Effect 3, just this once. I know there's a topic for such discussion and that's fine but I think just to prove how little care we have for Capcom at this point, we should talk about something they couldn't possibly hope to emulate.

Also, love the idea of Capcom anally bleeding.
                    Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 02-16-2012, 04:59 AM.
                    See you in hell.

Comment

Revelations is supposed to be a return to form. Now it's merely the closest we're going to get.

Honestly. You can make checkpoints and typewriters optional. That's just limited saves so the game play won't be affected.

Puzzle difficulty has been going around since the Silent Hill days. Action gamers can opt out and go through a linear path set by beating you over the head with information on where to go next. A classic mode could set up challenging puzzles used as obstacles to go to the next point. That can be accomplished. Even Downpour will add these along with side quests. Resident Evil should take note.

RE3.5 had a transition between over-the-shoulder and fixed camera angles. Over-the-shoulder happened when you aimed your gun for example. Perhaps this might be distracting for gamers which is why it was scrapped. I however wouldn't mind an optional setting to make that possible for people who want classic angles brought in. Free-aiming is fine as a progression, but it comes at a price. When playing Lost In Nightmares with fixed angles it was frustrating to shoot enemies with free aim. Even more so to find all the crests and shoot at them. So none of that. That's why I think aiming could be over-the-shoulder. Exploration with camera angles still work fine.

See for yourself and decide if this is a good balance or could benefit as an option:

Classic mode could be used as a harder difficulty anyway. Less ammo. More powerful enemies. Encourages running in that regard.

Also door opening sequences were a staple. The DS version of RE made them optional where you could push a button and skip them. Might as well throw that in there. There was even something similar in Lost In Nightmares.

I fully support the idea for a classic mode. The problem though is if you force co-op into the main campaign it creates problems. You have to make a game design to cater to it. The fans started with a single player experience. More players breaks too much away from the scare factor of being on your own. And Revelations might as well have been a full co-op game with the amount of time your main character is surrounded with NPC supporting back up.

Anyway there's my ideas on how to return the series to form. Takes a lot in terms of options, but I think it would work best for all the fans they've pulled in thus far both old and new.

Comment

The only reason I'd want fixed cameras back is if they used pre-rendered backgrounds again. Let's face it though, the only reason they ever used pre-rendered backgrounds in the first place was because of the hardware limitations of the PSX.

Using fixed camera angles in a fully rendered environment doesn't really work out so well IMO, the 'Lost in Nightmares' DLC for RE5 is a good example of how pre-rendered still beats out rendered. When everything that's rendered needs a texture, you're limited for data and I noticed in Lost in Nightmares, it was pretty awful to see the same assets used over and over, the paintings on the walls being the worst thing. I kept seeing the same 5 or 6 paintings every other room, which seems cheap and nasty when compared to say; the beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds of REmake.

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                        Anyway, I played the Mass Effect 3 demo and liked it. Not overly impressed, but enjoyed it nonetheless. For once I agree with Dracarys. Yes, that's right. We're talking about Mass Effect 3, which to be fair is more deserving of our collective thought and discussion than more of Capcom's derogatory nonsense towards the fans.
                        I'm inclined to agree, after playing the Mass Effect 3 demo, I'm very tempted to cancel my RE:ORC pre-order and get ME3 instead. I loved the first two Mass Effect games, but I didn't get Mass Effect 2 until over a year later for a fiver brand new from GAME (lol, you heard me right). I was reluctant to get Mass Effect 2 upon learning that they had 'dumbed down' the gameplay, but still wanted it for the awesome story that the Mass Effect is better known for. I was really happy with Mass Effect 2 and TBH, the gameplay was fun enough that I didn't care about the lost RPG elements.

The demo of ME3 was pretty good, I especially loved the second part with Wrex, was just like "old times".

I'm looking forward to trying out the multiplayer part with some mates, I don't have Battlefield 3 (nor plan to get it) so I haven't played it yet. I heard that everyone will be able to access the multiplayer content on the 17th (tomorrow).

Comment

Honesty I can see why they got rid of the the pre rendered graphics and tank controls, but why did they have to stray away from what really made the games fun, the horror and the puzzles. 4 and 5 were so linear and not scary, bring back the tension, have there be some puzzles or multi-paths. Really the only reason to continue with the series is to see the end and who knows when that will be.

Comment

-
                            Last edited by please_REboot; 06-11-2012, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Honestly im not sad about classic resident evil is gone i dont mind it the way it is now
                              if i miss them, i can always go back and play them.
                              but the future of resident evil is not in horror anymore but action.
                              Last edited by rehunk88; 02-25-2012, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X