Mr. X or Nemesis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. X or Nemesis

So ever since I played RE2 I've held the very strong opinion that Nemmy is overrated. Birkin was a far superior monstrosity.

Looking back though, RE2 also had another fantastic antagonist in Mr. X aka T-103.

Listen to that awesome music. I guess it's to be expected since RE2 had the best score in the seris but this is one of the best tracks in any RE game.

There's also the matter of implementation. A monster is only as intimidating as the writes make him by correctly applying him in certain areas.

Nemesis had the worst gimmick in the history of the series ie. following you through door after door. It's...not scary. Not in the slightest. Oh maybe it was the first time and possibly even the second time. Then he shows up when you're trying to complete a stupid quest like putting the jewel in the clock gate or whatever it was and suddenly you're getting beat up while you try to manage the inventory.

Note to Capcom - when your giant hulking abomination provokes nothing more from the audience than a frustrated sigh of resignation, you are doing something very wrong.

Mr. X on the other hand was used quite well. He showed up at very effective times and to this day one of the moments I most remember in an RE game was when I downed him in the press rroom or whatever it was then i left the room, went down a few corridors all smugly, and then WHAM. he bashes through the wall right there and I lose a few years of my life.

And when it comes to the climactic battle with them both...there really is no comparison here. The 'climactic battle" with Nemesis entails shoving battteries.
    ...yeah.

The music that plays as he emerges covered in flames still gives me goosebumps to this day.

So yeah. That is why I think Mr. X is a thousand times better than Nemesis.

How about you?

The RE2 Tyrant is shit. Slow and easy to dodge without any real skill or good sense of timing, using a door ends the threat, its final/toughest battle is a joke...2 Magnum shots. Nemesis is everything it should have been.
    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Nemesis is to Resident Evil what Pyramid Head is to Silent Hill. Overused mascots that reflect the entire series for casuals when they're only in a few games. While Nemesis wasn't the first stalker enemy, he was the most popular because RE3 centered around him as the main threat where as RE2 had focused on other threats outside of Mr. X (i.e. William Birkin).

Lisa Trevor was a good one though. Sympathetic when you discover more about her, and the back story on her as a victim is pretty disturbing. Very few monsters can get away with still being scary the more you find out about them. Once you know who they are and what their agenda is then the novelty of the monster wears off. I'd like to think in terms of these games Lisa is the exception to that rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
        Lisa Trevor was a good one though. Sympathetic when you discover more about her, and the back story on her as a victim is pretty disturbing. Very few monsters can get away with still being scary the more you find out about them. Once you know who they are and what their agenda is then the novelty of the monster wears off. I'd like to think in terms of these games Lisa is the exception to that rule.
        Agreed. I think she was one of the best things about REmake. The first time I saw her it was a total WTF moment.

Between Mr X and Nemi, I'll have to go with Nemesis. He was relentless on 3. He could pop up at anytime and screw you if you were careless.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

"Mr. X aka T-103"

Don't you mean; T-103 aka Mr. X (because of some silly novel that's basically fan ficiton).

Anyway, Nemesis wins easy. He ate a T-103 R at the end of Resi Evil 3, 'nuff said!
          Last edited by Vixtro; 02-27-2012, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Well I just like calling him Mr. X because it's appropriate to his look.. He is a big bald guy in a trenchcoat who has no explanation whatsoever for his arrival. (well, for most of the game. I know I had no idea what the hell was going on when he was dropped in there) So a name like Mr. X suits his mysterious nature.

I never read the novels. They sound awful.
            Last edited by Becky's Butt; 02-27-2012, 03:24 AM.

Comment

They're pretty much identical. Only that Nemesis is much more aggressive (gameplay and character background wise), and challenging to fight. Nemesis just takes the T-103 idea up to 11. I have a thought that the only reason T-103 wasn't as relentless was due to technological limitations (moreso in the gameplay engine). I think that the pursuit through doors is great. The fact that he is so relentless really added to the game for me. And altough the final fight with him isn't that great, the fights at the clocktower and in the waste disposal are great.
              sigpic

Comment

Nemesis is the only one that has really been fully utilized in gameplay. The Tyrant in BH2 was probably more individually frightening though.
                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by Vixtro View Post
                  "Mr. X aka T-103"

Don't you mean; T-103 aka Mr. X (because of some silly novel that's basically fan ficiton).

Anyway, Nemesis wins easy. He ate a T-103 R at the end of Resi Evil 3, 'nuff said!
                  Lol there is your answer right there. Nemesis hands down. I find him much more scary as well Mr X I find a boring asshole. The tyrant from Remake is much more intimidating than Mr X.

Comment

Are you fuckin' kidding me?
                    Nemesis would beat the hell outta Mr.X
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2012, 10:38 AM.

Comment

While Nemesis is more challenging I prefer the T-103. His human appearence is much more menacing than Nemesis' full-blown scarred monster look.

Comment

Nemesis, definitely. Nemesis terrified me waaay more than Mr. X did when I first played RE3. Don't get me wrong though, Mr. X almost made my heart skip a beat the first time he crashed through a wall but I feel like Nemesis was just more threatening overall. A hideously mutated tyrant that carries a fucking rocket launcher AND spoke. Just hearing "S.T.A.R.S.!" when I'd be playing RE3 was enough to make me stop and reconsider if entering the area was a good idea. Also in RE2, I remember being more worried about Birkin than the T-103.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
                          Nemesis is to Resident Evil what Pyramid Head is to Silent Hill. Overused mascots that reflect the entire series for casuals when they're only in a few games.
                          That's a great way to look at it. Personally, I think people love Nemesis because he is the very definition of a "super soldier," which if I'm not mistaken is what the Tyrant program was all about creating. The rocket launcher also helps.

I find him to be overrated. I prefer G-Birkin and "Mr. X" to Nemesis. To me, the addition of a rocket launcher (or a minigun if you follow ORC and Anderson's shitfest films) was a bit too over-the-top. I prefer my monsters to hunt me down and smash me to a pulp, not blow me up with advanced weaponry.
                          Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Working...
                          X