No announcement yet.

Downpour Spoiler Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahtzee got it mostly right. I've stopped watching him on a regular basis, since I find his routine old and stale by now, but I respect his opinion on the Silent Hill games. I share his opinion that Downpour is the best SH game developed outside of Japan so far. I don't know how sales are for the game, but if this is the last proper console Silent Hill released for awhile, they're going out on a high note.

Comment

They're not that high. The series hasn't been making any big numbers for a while now. The only reason they seem to continue is to appeal to the fan base which a lot of them have abandoned.

Comment

It's sad really. Just when the series might be saved, it's too late, most of the fanbase has jumped ship.

Comment

Hmm, sorry to hear that. Well, I'll support the series to its end (whenever that is).

By the way, I hear that the PAL release of the game fixes a number of bugs and glitches, can anyone confirm or deny this? Sorry if it's already been discussed. I noticed that Yahtzee didn't complain about any framerate issues, so maybe I've answered my own question, as he's in a PAL territory.
          Last edited by Kaine; 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Yahtzee is also as much of a video game reviewer, as Kim Khardashian is a celebrity.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
              Yahtzee is also as much of a video game reviewer, as Kim Khardashian is a celebrity.
              Agreed. Additionally, the whole snarky/angry reviewer thing is pretty lame IMO, but it was kind of a fun novelty for awhile.

Comment

Pretty dumb comparison seeing as Yahtzees actually been involved with the gaming industry for quite some time now and for some time before Zero Punctuation came about, whereas those Kardashian things just popped up and multiplied all over the media like some celebutard bubonic plague.

Kaine i played the PAL version and i didn't notice any framerate issues in Downpour. Now if you're talking HD Collection then nothing in the world can save that thing, kill it with fire then play the PC versions in HD instead.

Oh and Wrathbone, you mentioned slightly redundant characters, namely the postman. Yeah i agree on that, apparently he'll be explained more in Book Of Memories, something i kind of loathe in a way. It's kind of like when you have to buy DLC to get a bit of backstory, only in this instance you have to buy a Vita and another game that probably isn't gonna be good.

Comment

Originally posted by rewak View Post
                  Kaine i played the PAL version and i didn't notice any framerate issues in Downpour. Now if you're talking HD Collection then nothing in the world can save that thing, kill it with fire then play the PC versions in HD instead.
                  Ah, thank you for the quick reply. Interesting! It appears that the PAL release could be an updated/fixed version then. Downpour is a game that deserves the best presentation possible, glad to see it's been improved.

Comment

Originally posted by rewak View Post
                    Pretty dumb comparison seeing as Yahtzees actually been involved with the gaming industry for quite some time now and for some time before Zero Punctuation came about, whereas those Kardashian things just popped up and multiplied all over the media like some celebutard bubonic plague.
                    Yahtzee is a poor reviewer dude. I wish he still had the video up that I could show you but the best example is his review of New Super Mario bros for the DS, and then his review of New Super Mario Bros for the Wii.

He ends up bitching about a lot of the stuff on the Wii, that he was praising in the DS version.

Now both games are different in level design, gameplay and difficulty but at their core they're still the same game.

Then theres his review of FPS's, he doesn't like FPS's and isn't good at them.If you aren't good at a genre of game, don't review it. Even if they're paying you money, dont review it. You have no credibility here, Would you hire a childrens movie critic to review 'Basic Instinct'? Nay.

Then there is the fact that even on the games he likes, he bitches the shit out of them. I know its supposed to be entertaining to his audience, but for fucks sake its damn near completely counter productive.

Then there's him finding one or two little things to completely bitch about in a game that he keeps coming back too during the entire review which makes you wonder if he even played the game for more than 30 minutes.

That's why I don't consider his reviews to be anything.

Comment

Completed the game earlier, funny it been pouring down all week while playing.

Getting the bugs out the way, the occasional stutter when entering new areas, heavier when the game autosaves and the game will just freeze for a few moments whenever you earn a trophy since it autosaves at the same time.

Had an issue where a underground shortcut door would randomy switch between working and not, another 2 sets of shortcuts never worked ever, a door would stay locked on one end. Found it rather annoying when attempting to backtrack large distances.

Aside from those I don't think any bugs, the framerate stutter doesn't heavily detract from playing and you can sort of get used to it.

The puzzles are really good but the game does pull some bollocks sometimes in regards to visibility. I was running about a movie theatre for about 30 minutes looking for something and it turned out to be in a place I searched multiple times it was just that it was so dark and the torch is pretty crap for anything not waist to head hight and directly in front of you. I had puzzles set on hard so there is no shine from puzzle related items, I get the feeling the developers expect you to do this on easy first so you know where things are for hard which defeats the point.

Another issue I had with some puzzles were the enemies interfering, I would knock down an enemy trying not to kill many and just leave them laying down, as I'm solving a puzzle in the area I get interupted and need knock it down again, and again. Very annoying.

Overall the puzzles are a huge step up from the last few SH games, but these small things made some of them annoying at times. I still do not think they reach SH3 level of challenge either, even on hardest.

Combat I find steps backwards from Homecoming, I never really felt threatened, I played on normal enemy difficulty, maybe hard is totally different case. I never died to an enemy the entire game either way, even when some got the jump on me after I left them laying on the floor 'for dead'. Enemies are too slow and you can easily run in many cases, not that you need to, just block attacks and a few swings to do one in. Alternatively run in a circle and watch them struggle to target you, constantly missing and opening themselves for attack. The fights are just too controlable. I much prefer Homecoming where different weapons suit different enemies, you needed move about dodging and blocking attacks looking for openings, after combat like that or games like Alan Wake I find Downpour rather archaic in a sense. No enemy damage either, you slashed an enemy in Homecoming you'd see a slash wound where you slashed, nothing in Downpour.

Story was a weak point, I guessed the 'secret' very early, but then the game goes off like it is a different story altogether and I though I must be wrong, only it leads nowhere and later resumes the original idea I had. Not sure what was going on with the writing, some info in the 'extras' menu gives it an excuse to be there but still no real reason, Extras unlock as you play and who would read that before finishing the game? The imagery used isn't up to par with other SH games. I'm not really sure the reasoning behind most monsters visuals. Several characters have no conclusion also.

Side missions are hit and miss, I often found the reward was not worth the effort and you really need get lucky with finding the items for some of these, I searched areas rather thoroughly as I progressed in the game but some things are still hard to find due to visibility issues alone.

I never really thought it was scary, the set piece scares are weak and the game failed to induce real a panic except for one area and that was mostly due to blindness from lack of light. It does have a horror decent atmosphere though, could have done with raining more, especially heavy rain.

It definitely feels a lot like older SH games in several areas, I just do not think they is entirely a good thing. Aside from the puzzles and exploration in Downpour I think Homecoming did the rest better.

Overall it is definitely an enjoyable game despite my criticisms, I like it enough I'll probably play through another time or two and try get all the trophies/endings. However not worth full price, rent it or wait for price drop.
                      Last edited by Dracarys; 05-14-2012, 12:47 AM.
                      Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Man, it seems that Silent Hill is definitely going through a low point these days.

I just replayed Shattered Memories and the gameplay is still -meh!- but the story still captivates me. So many cryptic stuff there to keep you awake at night wondering what the fudge it all means.

I wonder if the fanbase is being too hard on the recent games. Or if they just plain suck.

50/50?
                        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                        sigpic

Comment

They are being too easy on the older games. That have some massive flaws, even for back when they released.
                          Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Maybe so... but then most see the things that they grew up with, with rose colored glasses.
                            Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                            sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't say that. The HD Collection by itself is proof that the classics were not all that bad and given the state of the HD port they could have very well been developed much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                                They are being too easy on the older games. That have some massive flaws, even for back when they released.
                                Like?

The older games focused more on atmosphere, art direction and general horror.

The newer games focus more on action and "forced" horror implemented by copying elements from the previous games and making them worse.
                                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Working...
                                X