Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HD Collection's 1.01 patch didn't do anything and Pyarmid Head's cutscene is edited?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluepoint even makes mistakes although not as bad as SH HD. Gorge Sears anyone?

EDIT: Oh woes is me... That lake.

Last edited by Smiley; 03-23-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I think the leaving the Gorge Sears in was intentional, it says that in the original apparently. What got the biggest laugh out of me though is that now in Snake Eater at the begginning you can clearly read the txt on Naked Snake's mask when he does the HALO jump out the plane and it reads "metal gear solid SNAKE EATER" on it.

Bluepoints stuff is generally more fixed, although the MGS set has some slowdown in places - MGS3 suffers more for it because of the heavily textured enviroments and full 3D camera that was added into Subsistance. Effects too cause problems, dust and rain suffer occassional frame rate drops - but fire seems fine. MGS2 mostly suffers a weird stutter in it's slow motion cutscenes which looks odd. Even Ico/SotC still has a few issues, mostly frame rate drops and the following slowdown. But overall their work is generally okay overall.

Hijinx has never done an HD set as I'm sure it's mentioned (the only time I'd heard of the studio prior to this was the downloadable Vandal Hearts prequel) and obviously it shows. I think the technical issues has been more the cause of delay in recent months rather than the voice acting debacle. Maybe Konami will have some people from Bluepoint come in and look at the issue in coming weeks and that will provide a more fuller patch of the issues if most of it is a big deal.

Edit - Holy fucking shit in a sandwich, Smiley thanks for posting those.... thats like night and frickin day day different. Ack. Horrible.
      Last edited by Rombie; 03-23-2012, 07:10 PM.

Comment

It was meant to be George though. Especially in document of MGS2. In MGS2 HD the doors also read off as Guns of the Patriots. And there's a game breaking bug in the European release of MGS2 if you hide as Raiden on the conveyer belt and equip your box. And some slight screen tears every now and again even though this is the first time Peace Walker and MGS3 are running at 60fps.

But all that is very mild compared to Silent Hill HD.

EDIT: You're welcome. I find it hilarious that Downpour had a bad 4.5 score from IGN over its tech issues, yet the HD collection gets a 9 simply because it's SH2 and 3. It certainly didn't get it for being a quality port.
        Last edited by Smiley; 03-23-2012, 07:32 PM.

Comment

How the fuck did they look at that lake and go, 'Yeah, that looks HD to me, next area please?'

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
            It was meant to be George though. Especially in document of MGS2. In MGS2 HD the doors also read off as Guns of the Patriots. And there's a game breaking bug in the European release of MGS2 if you hide as Raiden on the conveyer belt and equip your box. And some slight screen tears every now and again even though this is the first time Peace Walker and MGS3 are running at 60fps.

But all that is very mild compared to Silent Hill HD.

EDIT: You're welcome. I find it hilarious that Downpour had a bad 4.5 score from IGN over its tech issues, yet the HD collection gets a 9 simply because it's SH2 and 3. It certainly didn't get it for being a quality port.
            Oh I know it was _supposed_ to be George, but I think they just left the spelling mistake in there because that same mistake already existed. Either that or for some reason no one ever noticed it. How I don't know.

But yeah I've seen the issues with MGS2 in the EU version if you run it in a SD screen. Same problem also causes some issues with two trophies in MGS3 (Snake Eyes and Cat's Out Of The Bag) because the SD framing doesn't trigger the full use of the hidden R1 cutscenes.

I'm enjoying the MGS set greatly though, can't say it'll be the same for the SH one it seems. You took the words out of my mouth as well regarding the IGN review, I came here to post the same comment. Silly.

Comment

The mistake never existed on any version of the MGS2 games prior.... at least as far as the PS2 and Xbox versions that I've played. It always read as George Sears when the profiles of the villains came up. If they redid them for the HD collection to look better in a higher resolution that's cool. But someone needs to spell check. Especially when the subtitles also have some errors that were not present in the original versions.

Comment

I went back and doubled checked, you're right. The original version has George written. Nevermind then. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                  I went back and doubled checked, you're right. The original version has George written. Nevermind then. LOL
                  LOL that's actually quite funny. I need to take a look at this myself when I decide to play the MGS HD Collection.

Now, sorry for the lack of updates on the matter guys. I've been busy with work and finally got around to looking up more stuff on it. But yeah, I'm pretty sure you saw that video that was posted on here about the lake when you're rowing to get to the Hotel. You think that's the only thing that looks bad, but there's also this:

The left side is the HD Collection

What makes it worse is that Levito, user over at NeoGaf, had contacted Masahiro Ito, one of the original guys who worked on Silent Hill 2. Boy was he disapproving the state that this was released in:

One of the things about this whole mess that I feel about about, or rather feel bad for, is Tomm Hulett. He's been in the center of so much fan hate for years now, dating back to (I think) Shattered Memories. Hell, even he's a huge fan of Silent Hill!

Another thing I'm really surprised about is that no one is really covering this at all, with the exception of Destructoid's Jim Stirling:

Last edited by MeanBob; 03-23-2012, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I just went through the NeoGAF thread... what a sad state of affairs. Didn't help with Tomm Hulett stepped in and said he'd seen the technical issues, particularly with the PS3, coming. Interesting read though all 30+ pages of it.

Link for anyone who is interested.

Comment

He says technical problems are what made the HD Collection unable to put in the original SH3 voices. Add these other issues in and I'm starting to regret buying this game for $40. And when I don't regret buying ORC: Collector's Edition the same day for $70 that should tell you something.

I tried around with the new voices. During this game's development I was pretty bias over preferring the original actors because I like the whole package of voice and mocap done simultaneously. But I did have a chance to listen to the new voices in SH2. I'll get around to 3 later, but so far I'll let you know what I think of two and if I preferred one voice over the other.

1. James. Troy Baker is a good VA, but he really overacts a lot here. James is too melodramatic. He makes the "How can you sit there and eat pizza!?" line sound laughable because he's trying his hardest to take the scene seriously. I'm annoyed by hearing the sound he makes when James is out of breath. It sounds robotic almost as though he's blowing into a fan. Guy Cihi, for getting all the slack of not being a professional voice actor still manages to come through by making the character sound natural. He sounds genuine when he's feeling awkward, concerned, sad and frustrated. People were divided on the main character, but in this case I'm team Guy.

2. Mary/Maria. I'm not too much of a fan of Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as a voice director (Umbrella Chronicles being one example on her resume), but I'm fine with her playing these roles. She's a great singer, and has done some amazing vocals for the series. When she voices Mary she's somber. With Maria she's sexy. Might be a little older sounding than the original, but the voice still fit the look of both characters. Monica Horgan has this down though. She sounds sexier and sweeter in both the roles. I teared up with her final lines in the game. And when I heard that was done in one take I was more than impressed. That takes skill. So I prefer her.

3. Eddie. The line they went with for Eddie in the HD Collection preview had the worst reaction of them all. Including yours truly. He sounded so hardened and hazy that I was certain the actor was just trying too hard to sound cool and psychotic. As I heard more of Eddie's dialogue I realized the bulk of his lines weren't as grizzly sounding at all. Took me a while to pin the voice, but I found out who the actor was and confirmed it on his Twitter. Liam O'Brian. I'll be the first to admit I jumped the gun on assuming this was going to be a terrible performance. He actually delivers in this role to my surprise. David Schaufele also delivered a very creepy performance. He sounded grotesque and intimidating. The different between the two is that David comes off as an immature man child and Liam is more disturbed. A tie for me.

5. Laura. Again I'll have to go with a tie. I'm guessing the new voice for Laura is older and has more experience in sounding like a brat. Likewise Jacquelyn Breckenridge was very young when she did the role, and still displayed great convincing acting in playing the character.

6. Angela. I give Donna Burke the benefit of the doubt because while she sounds older than the character she's portraying I do remember in the behind the scenes documentary for the game that this character was intentionally supposed to come off that way given what lifestyle she's had. As much as I hate to admit this, the new actress gives off a better performance because while she sounds appropriately aged, she also doesn't come across as off-putting for all the wrong reasons. When she delivers the same lines the new actress gives you the same vibes as Donna did except you're not thinking that she's over-acting or forcing some of that performance. So props to the new girl, whoever she is. Let's see how she fares with Claudia. EDIT: (Found out it was Laura Bailey. So we're certainly dealing with voice actors here who worked on Shattered Memories as well as Atlus games like Catherine)

7. Ernest Baldwin is a minor role in the Maria minigame, but I have no complaints about either actor. They both give off the mystery surrounding their role. So there's my third tie.
                      Last edited by Smiley; 03-26-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Looking at the comparison images a few posts up I prefer the HD ones with less fog, always thought it was overdone in SH2, though the rope in the last HD one looks like it somehow extends outwards and then just stops rather than fades into distance.
                        Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Damn you Bob! Ya beta me too it!.. You must be a Redditor too

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                            Looking at the comparison images a few posts up I prefer the HD ones with less fog, always thought it was overdone in SH2, though the rope in the last HD one looks like it somehow extends outwards and then just stops rather than fades into distance.
                            Thick fog is one of the defining features of the town. Now you can see everything coming at you from a mile away

Comment

Or the edge of the world, on occasion.

The fog seemed fine to me, but I lived in a town where those fogs happened fairly often so I'm kinda used to it.

Comment

By the way, I'm about 99% sure Tomm Hulett was lying about SH3 original voices being 'too hard to program back in'.
                                I looked at the files and both games are foldered exactly the same, not just saying that - but SH2's new voice files just get re-directed.
                                It's like all they did was make a variable, depending on which one it just changes the file name from "voice01.xma" to "voice01.xma.new".
                                So it really sounds like BS when it comes to SH3 because it's planned out exactly the same... Either way, I'm guessing he said that so everyone shut up about the Heather Morris bs.

Comment

Working...
                                X