No announcement yet.

CoD players: What makes you so special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoD players: What makes you so special?

Why are my beloved games reaching out to you. What makes Call of Duty the best game franchise ever. Don't say sales numbers. I'm asking why the games have the sales numbers that they do. If the market for this is that successful you should be able to convince me what the appeal is. Maybe I'll jump ship.

Marketing.

Hype.

It's impossible to not get the least bit curious when 1/4 of every single GameStop in your area is like a bought and paid for Call of Duty shrine owned by Activision (same with Blizzard products, which has a 1/4 of its own too - leaving only half the store to all other products on all other platforms)

Comment

Why did Avatar jump to the bestselling movie ever when arguably it's a more action-packed Pocahontas with pretty CGI? It
      had 13 years to build up hype.

Like Carn said, it's all about the hype. If you're a more casual gamer, it's a lot easier to get sucked into the vortex of marketing. Activision has the money to flood magazines, TVs, newspapers, and all other media with ads for the game. (Not to say only casual gamers play CoD of course.)
      Last edited by Canas Renvall; 04-05-2012, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Well the online multiplayer is fun and addictive and also pretty competitive, although it is true that each new game feels like it should just be an expansion pack. still I enjoy the series, not so much MW3 though, to be honest i wish they had just ended with the first Modern Warfare, and just brought out exapnsions, but then, they be losing out on all the money the series has brought in.
        Last edited by I_Am_Nemesis; 04-05-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

The online is designed to appeal to shit players, and boy are there a lot of them. The damage is incredibly high, recoil non existant in most games of the series and the two combined means you do not need aim much at all, let alone keep a steady and accurate aim, things that used to require great skill in FPS games like using a knife has been turned into a single press lock-on-teleport-into-target insta kill, plus the killstreak rewards giving the illusion that the player is earning kills.

If you suck at games then CoD you make you think you are awesome at them, who wouldn't want that?
          Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Numbers gained through marketing, hype, word of mouth and solid, mass-appealing gameplay.

And no other game will get those numbers through imitation.
            Last edited by News Bot; 04-06-2012, 02:20 AM.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

CoD itself isn't the problem. It does what it's supposed to and it does it well. It's flashy, manly action in the style of the 90's hero movies. Obviously this is about post MW CoDs.
              Problem is the other developers who want to copy, thinking that will give them sales and they fail by doing so.
              A good game will attract players, even if it doesn't have any MP, big budget, splendid graphics etc.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

I'll take my Battlefield 2 and kindly fuck off.
                See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Beanovsky Durst View Post
                  manly action in the style of the 90's hero movies
                  Manly action in CoD? The only manly thing in CoD is Price's moustache. I give them that. That guy sports a broom powerful enough to be sentient and eat the skin off a chicken when he tries to feed on it himself.

Besides that, the action in CoD is about as manly as the genderless JRPG/anime heroes running wild these days. The multiplayer is about as manly as a kid picking on someone who tripped and fell or something too. Suddenly very tough when the other kid's on the ground. Kicking, spitting and insulting.

Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty tired of devs trying to copy CoD and/or force multiplayer down my throat. Especially when the multiplayer is tacked on and entirely lacking in gameplay variation thanks to how the devs for some reason have taken all customization out of the player's hands in favor of their own vision of what "balance" is. Balance is the biggest joke in multiplayer gaming, and, not to give credit to something I hate with a passion, but the whole kill streak thingy in CoD is pretty much the pillar of imbalance and ... well ... in multiplayer gaming; one side/player somehow gaining a slight edge is indeed often part of the greatest fun... but CoD just takes it a bit too far, to the point where it's just childish and annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                    Manly action in CoD? The only manly thing in CoD is Price's moustache.
                    I thought that Soap's accent was quite manly.
                    Last edited by aris13; 04-06-2012, 08:41 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                        Manly action in CoD? The only manly thing in CoD is Price's moustache. I give them that. That guy sports a broom powerful enough to be sentient and eat the skin off a chicken when he tries to feed on it himself.
                        Modern Warfare:
                        Spoiler:

Modern Warfare 2:
                        Spoiler:

Modern Warfare 3:
                        Spoiler:

Those scenes seem very "90's manly action" to me (slowmo, heroic stunts and crap like that). But I do agree with MP and kiddies who think they're Chuck Norris by pulling stuff like this.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Working...
                        X