Default Know of a good video deinterlacer?

Anyone here with experience in video-making? I'm looking for a good deinterlacer. The video I've recorded are encoded in H.264/MPEG-4. I've tried using Avidemux's deinterlacing options (all dozen of them) to no success, it's useless.

If there is absolutely one thing I am hating right now is this horrible "shadow" or ghosting effect that you see on these screens. Look at Jill and the zombie.

Is this interlacing? What can I possibly do about that? Help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by OKeijiDragon; 04-13-2012 at 01:55 AM.
    If you have Twitter, you have my permission to stalk me. Just tell me who you are as soon as you do. =P

THIA Staff

That could be a product of deinterlacing gone wrong (wrong frame-order being merged)

However, it could also be an issue with telecyne/framerate up-/down conversion at work too (depending on the formats of the source material and what/how it's captured with and all that jazz)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivol View Post
    That could be a product of deinterlacing gone wrong (wrong frame-order being merged)

However, it could also be an issue with telecyne/framerate up-/down conversion at work too (depending on the formats of the source material and what/how it's captured with and all that jazz)
    Could you tell me briefly what the phrases that I bolded mean, please? Also, if you say the reason for that ghosting is caused by something in-between the recording... it couldn't be the device itself could it?

I bought this AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR MTVHDDVRR card a couple weeks ago, and so far it does nearly everything right except the aforementioned issue I'm having now. It comes with no mention of auto-deinterlacing on the settings. I use the dongle included to record in S-Video, H.264 codec, in the .mp4 format (I've tried with AVI as well, and I get the same issue), Entropy mode: CAVLC, Level: Automatic (I don't even know what this means), at video size 640x480.
    If you have Twitter, you have my permission to stalk me. Just tell me who you are as soon as you do. =P

Cunt Agent

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156028

The best. Perfect deinterlacing. Not sure if there have been any others released since.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Another detail I'd like to add is my current recording setup. I have my Sega Saturn hooked up to a VCR via S-Video, with cables outputting from the VCR to the dongle. Here are photos, if anyone wants some other idea:

EDIT: I didn't see your post earlier, bot. If that's suppose to be really good, I'd give it a try. But those instructions do look extensively intimidating.
    Last edited by OKeijiDragon; 04-13-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Didn't see post bove earlier.

THIA Staff

If you're gonna do a li'l bit of proper video filtering (and custom configs); time to get used to making some AVIsynth scripts ;D

(Also, chances are you'll just re-cycle most of your script for anything and everything recorded with your device, unless you change image source completely. Like jumping between actual recordings of live gameplay and a VHS capture of gameplay, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by News Bot View Post
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156028

The best. Perfect deinterlacing. Not sure if there have been any others released since.
    Sorry. The directions are confusing and vague, and I haven't been getting the results I want from that. =/
    Last edited by OKeijiDragon; 05-14-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Thread Information