The woman known as Ada Wong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The woman known as Ada Wong

This is an idea I've had in my head for years now, but it's never really needed much attention - until now I feel.

I thought it was Obvious, but if Ada was a spy in RE2, I'm guessing she's not using her real name. When playing RE2 for the first time as a 12 year old in 1998 I thought Ada Wong was an alias, and I've always kind of thought this. After all, what kind of spy would use their real name?! A crap one; that's what kind.

So The Woman Known As Ada Wong (TM) had used the name Ada Wong with at least
    1) John (re1)
    2) Leon (re2)
    3) Wesker (re4)

And at least the english language epilogue for The Woman Known As Ada Wong in RE3 suggests that it's an alias (I haven't looked at the translated Japanese epilogue).

I believe that the leaked 'Ada clone' idea came from a Portugese translation. I have no experience of Portugese, but could it be possible that 'clone' word that was translated isn't the literal sense in the way that we use it in English, but a broader meaning, something like look-a-like?

Marrying these two ideas, could it be that The Woman Known As Ada Wong in RE2/4 isn't actually named Ada, but is (deliberately) a look a like of someone else who is named Ada Wong, either to frame her or provide a convenient excuse so the Woman Known As Ada Wong can get away with crimes which are blamed on the real Ada Wong?
    Is there any solid concrete evidence that The Woman Known As Ada Wong is actually named Ada Wong?
    sigpic

It's been confirmed for a long while that Ada Wong is an alias. The only person who actually uses it beyond BH2 is Leon, because that's all he knows her by and is unaware that it's an alias.

The Portugese translation is also based on the original Japanese, and it is utterly impossible to tell what the meaning behind "clone" is without having the actual Kanji for the term used.

Here's her BH3 epilogue btw:

A woman gazes at her appearance in the mirror.
    The woman was called Ada Wong.
    However this morning she will say goodbye to that name.
    It was almost time for her next mission.
    "I'm not Ada anymore."
    There was a brand new laceration on the side of her stomach.
    "This is Ada's scar. Not mine."
    When the woman was Ada, it was a scar she received in order to protect the man she loved.
    As she begins to cry, all that is left of Ada Wong is a weeping woman.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Thanks for the clarification.
      I hadn't actually checked that Wesker and/or Krauser name her as Ada in RE4. From memory Annette doesn't use it in RE2 either.
      The Japanese epilogue in Bio3 looks like it's even more firm that the name is an alias.

Very good point about the kanji too.
      One thing that's bugged me about this whole Portugese leak is that if they had the script to translate, why leak only those superficial details, and not larger plot points? I suspect it may have only been that trailer or similar media that they had to translate, so thats as much as could be leaked. I can't think of a reason that the spill would be mostly restricted to what's in this newest trailer, with the exception being this Ada clone thing, which is as yet unsubstantiated. I think the accuracy in Jake Muller's name probably shows it was infact a real leak though...
      Last edited by TheSelfishGene; 04-13-2012, 08:35 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

^ Granted, it's in the English version, but in RE2 Annette demands to know who she is at gunpoint, and she gives her the name Ada Wong. Dunno if it's just a messed up English translation. You never know with this series
        Last edited by Canas Renvall; 04-13-2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

What Portuguese translation are you guys talking about?

About Ada using an alias, that's true. Even Archives says "Ada Wong" is not her real name.
          Wesker calls her Ada on REUC. And Leon calls her Ada all the time.
          She needs an alias or a codename after all, so the producers have been using Ada all this time.
          http://www.residentevildatabase.com
          Follow us on Twitter: @residentevildb

Comment

in RE1 Their name is written , in RE2 Annette says "Ada and John i believe ..." then ada responds "How did you know ? who are you ?" , Soo its Probably ada Lol Confusing Topic xD
            Darkness : Tactical reload wasn't even in deadly silence LMAO
            ^ Lol ...

Comment

Clone means clone in Portuguese, there's no other meaning behind the word.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrox2 View Post
                in RE1 Their name is written , in RE2 Annette says "Ada and John i believe ..." then ada responds "How did you know ? who are you ?" , Soo its Probably ada Lol Confusing Topic xD
                She used Ada as an alias for John aswell.
                Or you could believe her real name is really Ada and she went like a retarded spy telling everyone her real name.

Comment

You know it never actually occured to me that Ada wong is probably an alias, god i feel stupid haha. As for this whole clone leak (which im only just finding out about in this thread) I hope to god they have it wrong, The idea of an Ada clone, or perhaps a troupe of Ada clones is just boring to be honest. It didnt work with the films so why try it in RE6.
                  in all honesty I doubt her real name is overly important, A spy like Ada probably has no need for one name as. Dont get me wrong, id be interested to find out what her real name is, would be a nice little bit of character building if she ended off this game telling leon her old name, A nice nod to the "feelings" they once shared in RE2.

Comment

Her Name is Ada since Capcom call her Ada ... lol leave it like that now ... Epilogue just confirms it kinda , she was Ada untill what happened to her soo she wanted to forget her name because she wants to forget everything ... perhaps , well shes ada for now lol who cares ...
                    Darkness : Tactical reload wasn't even in deadly silence LMAO
                    ^ Lol ...

Comment

Ada is only an alias. I would be fine if her real name was Carla. I would not be fine if Carla was an actual clone of Ada.

And despite Ada's view on evil her actions show an antagonizing nature that is only interrupted when "her man" gets in the way. She's still just as back stabbing and ruthless. Nothing good comes out of her completing her missions.

Comment

The Nazi's didn't consider what they did as evil; they though it nessecery, or even good.

Godwin's Law enacted early in this thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
                          Ada is only an alias. I would be fine if her real name was Carla. I would not be fine if Carla was an actual clone of Ada.

And despite Ada's view on evil her actions show an antagonizing nature that is only interrupted when "her man" gets in the way. She's still just as back stabbing and ruthless. Nothing good comes out of her completing her missions.
                          The only people she back-stabs are evil, though. How do you know nothing good comes out of completing her missions when both her and her organization are completely unknown? Their motives are vague and she never murders anyone who doesn't need a little murdering.

I would prefer Carla to be a clone of Ada. That would be good. Over-blowing it by comparing it to the Anderson shit means nothing since the games and movies are completely unrelated (aside from laser rooms and RED QUEEN, the latter of which is completely different) and the games were the first to use cloning, and have used it since 1996. They didn't go overboard with it then, why would they do it now? At least in-universe, it makes sense for a full human clone to be made. The game is set in 2013 in a world with pretty advanced technology. Why is it such a problem outside of paranoia?
                          Last edited by News Bot; 04-13-2012, 01:34 PM.
                          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

She points a gun at Leon in RE4. But I'm sure Leon is evil for allowing her to take the sample back to Wesker (who he believes she is working for). In RE2 he called her bluff. In RE4 he might as well have damned us all.

How are some of these complaints overblown? The issues people have had with the movies are happening in the games. Thigh neck breaking is terrible action. Just because Jill does it in games instead of Alice in movies doesn't get any special treatment. The same applies to super powered protagonists and the idea of cloning main characters.

Comment

Nothing good can come out of cloning, period. Unless the story is centered around the subject of human cloning it feels like a cheap way of making plot twists and bringing characters back. I know it's possible on the RE universe and I can deal with that but it doesn't mean that it makes for good writing.

Comment

Working...
                              X