The woman known as Ada Wong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
    She points a gun at Leon in RE4. But I'm sure Leon is evil for allowing her to take the sample back to Wesker (who he believes she is working for). In RE2 he called her bluff. In RE4 he might as well have damned us all.

How are some of these complaints overblown? The issues people have had with the movies are happening in the games. Thigh neck breaking is terrible action. Just because Jill does it in games instead of Alice in movies doesn't get any special treatment. The same applies to super powered protagonists and the idea of cloning main characters.
    Yes, because she definitely intended to shoot him. Did she send it to Wesker? No. He doesn't call her bluff in the storyline, only in a what-if scenario. Cloning has always been a major part of the series storyline, since 1996. Metal Gear Solid didn't suddenly turn to shit when it introduced clones in MGS1. It took three or four more games to hit that point.

Nothing good can come out of cloning, period. Unless the story is centered around the subject of human cloning it feels like a cheap way of making plot twists and bringing characters back. I know it's possible on the RE universe and I can deal with that but it doesn't mean that it makes for good writing.
    Are we to presume that the entire storyline is "nothing good"? Umbrella would never have been able to make B.O.W.s without cloning. That essentially negates the entire series' existence. No characters have been brought back, and need I point out that we know virtually nothing about the storyline of BH6 in general. The "clone" thing is an assumption so far, based on a translated leak that may be incorrect.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Ada is only an alias. I would be fine if her real name was Carla. I would not be fine if Carla was an actual clone of Ada.
      I agree.
      Mass production? Ridiculous!

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
        Are we to presume that the entire storyline is "nothing good"? Umbrella would never have been able to make B.O.W.s without cloning. That essentially negates the entire series' existence. No characters have been brought back, and need I point out that we know virtually nothing about the storyline of BH6 in general. The "clone" thing is an assumption so far, based on a translated leak that may be incorrect.
        I meant clones in the sense of what is being implied in the RE6 storyline, an "evil Ada clone" walking about doing evil clone things. I'm not saying RE6's story is going to suck but if this Ada clone rumor turns out to be true I'll have little hope of it being good but I'll be glad to be proven wrong.

Yes, nobody came back because of cloning, yet. Regardless, I was using it as a basic example of the use of clones in a story, not in RE specifically.

Comment

Yes, because she definitely intended to shoot him. Did she send it to Wesker? No. He doesn't call her bluff in the storyline, only in a what-if scenario. Cloning has always been a major part of the series storyline, since 1996. Metal Gear Solid didn't suddenly turn to shit when it introduced clones in MGS1. It took three or four more games to hit that point.
          Leon thought she would. No reason to give her the sample otherwise. Ironic considering she didn't shoot him in RE2 and helped him out for most of RE4. Whether Ada was really working for Wesker or not is irrelevant in this particular scene because Leon thinks she's working for Wesker and lets her take the sample regardless. A "what if" scenario that results in Ada giving Wesker the plagas sample.

That really sounds bad on Leon's part you know that right?

And Metal Gear Solid 1's entire storyline revolved around the theme of genetics. So they worked cloning into an elaborate message about what defines one's character. The two previous MSX games didn't have the capabilities to display a large scale story which is why despite being vaguely canon to those two, Metal Gear Solid separated and became its own series. And that's different from RE6 which is playing out as a direct sequel to its own franchise.

Also in terms of writing you're talking about two different styles. Kojima relishes in using every cliche' he can and finding a way to make a streamlined theme around it in a world where the craziest stuff you can imagine take place. The idea of Liquid controlling Ocelot through an arm is one of the silliest, most illogical means to bring back a character. It worked for some fans because Kojima's entire world in the game surrounded on such absurdities. But because he can get away with cyborg ninja, vampires, clones, bipedal tanks and ghosts in one series doesn't mean Resident Evil could. Even at its campiest Resident Evil never used those things. Cloning has been a absurditiy kept in the background and doesn't need to occur for any main character alive or dead. And their "messages" (if any) are basic at best.
          Last edited by Smiley; 04-13-2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Ada is only an alias. I would be fine if her real name was Carla. I would not be fine if Carla was an actual clone of Ada.
            This x1000

Comment

Leon thought she would. No reason to give her the sample otherwise. Ironic considering she didn't in RE2 and helped him out for most of RE4. Whether Ada was really working for Wesker or not is irrelevant in this particular scene because Leon thinks she's working for Wesker and let's her take the sample regardless. A "what if" scenario that results in Ada giving Wesker the plagas sample.

That really sounds bad on Leon's part you know that right?

And Metal Gear Solid 1's entire storyline revolved around the theme of genetics. So they worked cloning into an elaborate message about what defines one's character. The two previous MSX games didn't have the capabilities to display a large scale story which is why despite being vaguely canon to those two, Metal Gear Solid separated and became its own series. And that's different from RE6 which is playing out as a direct sequel to its own franchise.

Also in terms of writing you're talking about two different styles. Kojima relishes in using every cliche' he can and finding a way to make a streamlined theme around it in a world where the craziest stuff you can imagine take place. The idea of Liquid controlling Ocelot through an arm is one of the silliest, most illogical means to bring back a character. It worked for some fans because Kojima's entire world in the game surrounded on such absurdities. But because he can get away with cyborg ninja, vampires, clones, bipedal tanks and ghosts in one series doesn't mean Resident Evil could. Even at its campiest Resident Evil never used those things. And their "messages" (if any) are basic at best.
              Incidentally Leon's thoughts do not dictate her actions. She was never in a position to point a gun at him in BH2 except for a non-canon scenario. She doesn't give Wesker the sample. Why are you dealing with hypothetical shit and then attempting to pass them off as definite?

Kojima writes with the consistency of a schizophrenic and all of the criticism he gets is completely warranted because his stories, outside of their messages (which are genuinely pretty great, he stopped doing after MGS3), simply aren't that good. They're on the same level as BH in terms of overall writing only the latter isn't as cinematic or pretentious. Kojima's writing skill took an awkward nosedive after MGS2 when he stopped giving a fuck. MGS3 was tolerable but was laughable at parts. What makes BH different from MGS? They are both video games that are not shy about straying very far from reality. There's no reason certain story elements are exclusive to one or the other. Biological weapons may not fit the "world" of MGS, but cloning fits both worlds and has been in both for a very, very long time. There's no reason it can't be used.

And once again, there is no confirmation that there is any main character cloning going on in BH6.

Comment

There's nothing hypothetical about Leon's actions. He does let her get away. Ada is a spy using everyone. Including Leon. You're just the poor sap that fell into her web along with him.

Speaking outside of RE4 if the woman in RE6 is Ada then Chris by all means should stop Leon and Ada both.

Your opinion of each story in MGS still doesn't excuse his technique and how it contrasts to that if the Resident Evil series.

And I've never said it's confirmed. I'm saying if it does happen then it's a terrible direction to take. Hence why I'd rather Ada and Carla be one in the same. I don't even know if there is a Carla, but so far the leak has yet to be wrong. They even got Piers' name correct. So yes, reading about an Ada clone has me cautious. I don't trust the writers of Biohazard enough to make an Ada clone work.
                Last edited by Smiley; 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

There's nothing hypothetical about Leon's actions. He does let her get away. Ada is a spy using everyone. Including Leon. You're just the poor sap that fell into her web along with him.

Speaking outside of RE4 if the woman in RE6 is Ada then Chris by all means should stop Leon and Ada both.

Your opinion of each story in MGS still doesn't excuse his technique and how it contrasts to that if the Resident Evil series.

And I've never said it's confirmed. I'm saying if it does happen then it's a terrible direction to take. Hence why I'd rather Ada and Carla be one in the same. I don't even know if there is a Carla, but so far the leak has yet to be wrong. They even got Piers' name correct. So yes, reading about an Ada clone has me cautious. I don't trust the writers of Biohazard enough to make an Ada clone work.
                  The people who write the story and characters saying that she isn't evil seems a lot more tangible than your awkward and nonsense logic. It's common knowledge that she is a spy. The fact is that she isn't a villain, unless they have introduced a retcon, which is highly unlikely.
                  Last edited by News Bot; 04-13-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Someone else here on THIA actually had an interesting theory, not sure I like it, as I too prefer Ada and Carla be one in the same if it happens to be the case that there is a Carla...

What if Ada was the clone of Carla? Ada would do all the dirty work and Carla would remain safe in whereverville doing whatever villains like her would do.
                    Last edited by Canas Renvall; 04-13-2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

What if Ada got multiple personality disorder?

Comment

I also really hate the idea of Ada having a clone for this game. Why would Ada need a clone at all? I just can't imagine a logical reasoning for that kind of plot twist except to merely excuse all of the shit that implicates her as a villain in this game. So you get all of the drama and tension of a major character now being a major villain and doing majorly evil things, but with absolutely none of the weight or consequences of it.

There's a lot of potential for this whole Ada/Carla thing to work out in a really fashion, like if they're actually the same person, but resorting to clones in this case would just be a cheap cop out.

Comment

I hate the idea of Ada having a clone too.

Tomb Raider pulled the evil clone thing in the last game and it was cheesey as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cad Bane View Post

Tomb Raider pulled the evil clone thing in the last game and it was cheesey as hell.
                            The doppelhoe had a GOOD precedent as the original one dates back from TR1. Giving Ada a clone not only is annoying because: a- it comes as a cheap way to not kill her and b-Now people will be OMG LOOK ADA HAS A CLONE THE WESKER WE KILLED SURELY WAS A CLONE and CAPCOM may eventually make them right, which I dread

Comment

Originally posted by Cad Bane View Post

What? Hell no. Doppleganger Lara in Underworld was an awesome element.

Comment

The people who write the story and characters saying that she isn't evil seems a lot more tangible than your awkward and nonsense logic. It's common knowledge that she is a spy. The fact is that she isn't a villain, unless they have introduced a retcon, which is highly unlikely.
                                Dodging the fact that Leon may just be worse than Ada Wong? Figures.

And spare me the writing. Our last outing with Leon and Ada together wasn't exactly sensible either. Not "introduce a clone" bad, but.....!

I'll give you this though. If Capcom continues to lure in the mack daddy of cliche's I can only assume it has to do with appeasing sacrificial Gods from wreaking chaos upon mankind.

Comment

Working...
                                X