No announcement yet.

The woman known as Ada Wong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah it's been done before... But did News Bot mentioned anything about the principal protagonists of the series being cloned?

Cloning BOWs and characters that weren't written to survive that one game where they were featured (mostly as baddies), fine. But main characters? The hell w/ that.
    Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
    sigpic

Comment

Who's to say that Ada willingly allowed or even knows that she's been cloned?

Let's look at history:

1. Alfred found out that he was cloned along with his sister from his fathers hands. Didn't work out well for Alexander.

2. Sergei was cloned, reluctantly and even suggesting a hint of regret in that one file.

3. Albert, although not cloned but through the use of eugenics, discovered that his entire existence and purpose was to serve an old British lord and he ended up breaking his heart.

In at least two of those examples, the person who was cloned or created for a purpose, had no idea prior to discovering it and only ended up enraging them. Sergei didn't seem to happy but allowed it.

If Carla is cloned from Ada -- who knows if Ada really knows that she's been cloned? There's too much speculation at this point.

Comment

By your own definition it doesn't matter Pik. Ada is an antagonist character, so a "clone" of her for the purpose of making a further antagonist isn't an issue.

But ignoring that and taking your point as how you actually meant it, even regardless why does it matter if it's a protagonist or not? Whats the real difference? I'm just a little lost as to why we can have a series where a main character like Steve Burnside can turn into and back from a big green hulking mess and then die, or Albert Wesker can come back from the dead from a virus, or there are numerous virus' with all sorts of effects, and cloning has been done before, but suddenly the possibility of a clone of Ada Wong is the line which can't be crossed.

I don't expect high things personally based on their track record but I can't judge at this time because it's too early. Point to me is regardless of character, clone, genetic manipultion, or otherwise Capcom has decided that whatever it is has to drive the plot forward. Thats all that really matters.

Comment

Maybe Ada was cloned because whoever cloned her knew they would be able to use her to manipulate Leon and Chris into coming to blows? What better way to deal with two of the biggest threats to bioterror than to pit them against each other? It's not like throwing waves upon waves of BOW's at them has done any good. Just a thought.

And what if Jake isn't actually Wesker's son, but a clone ala Solid Snake to Big Boss? Perhaps whoever cloned Ada also managed to clone Wesker in order to take advantage of Wesker's special blood. As one of the few adapters to the Progenitor Virus, and the only known adapter to the Uroboros Virus, I don't think it's unreasonable to believe that someone out there would want to see if they could make lightning strike twice. The main question would be who.

Alex is a possibility, but you have to wonder why he would bother with Albert's blood when he himself was also an adapter to the prototype virus administered by Spencer. Tricell would probably have some samples of Wesker's blood on hand from when they developed the serum that stabilized the virus in his system. I could easily see Tricell cloning Wesker to continue Uroboros research, but I'm not sure they would be the ones to clone Ada.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
            By your own definition it doesn't matter Pik. Ada is an antagonist character, so a "clone" of her for the purpose of making a further antagonist isn't an issue.

But ignoring that and taking your point as how you actually meant it, even regardless why does it matter if it's a protagonist or not? Whats the real difference? I'm just a little lost as to why we can have a series where a main character like Steve Burnside can turn into and back from a big green hulking mess and then die, or Albert Wesker can come back from the dead from a virus, or there are numerous virus' with all sorts of effects, and cloning has been done before, but suddenly the possibility of a clone of Ada Wong is the line which can't be crossed.

I don't expect high things personally based on their track record but I can't judge at this time because it's too early. Point to me is regardless of character, clone, genetic manipultion, or otherwise Capcom has decided that whatever it is has to drive the plot forward. Thats all that really matters.
            Well you see, Ada was never a one hit wonder like the other villains. Big difference. Ada was right up there with Wesker in terms of the spotlight the character got. A main character from the series.

And I'm not so much complaining about Ada getting a clone in RE6. But about it leaving wide open the door for other main characters to also start getting the clone treatment.
            sigpic

Comment

So basically the precedent that it sets is the issue rather than the specifics... I get that.

But... and I say this maybe because I just don't care about the plot as much anymore...

...in a franchise which has branched out into so many different products, diluted it's plot by having to come up with new "evil" companies after dropping it's original one, brought back people from the dead or enhanced them frequently just to create new versions of the same old ideas...

...why would or should we be surprised and then enraged by it?

A clone seems far more likely for Capcom to pull out of their cap than that. And maybe considering the alternative a better choice.

Flip this around and, I think it may have been said already here, but to me if they had just turned Ada into a straight forward villian I probably would have been more surprised and angry for the exact reasons you've mentioned regarding her as a clone.

That would more likely sully the idea of the character who is now entirely evil and set an even worse precedent that Capcom will just want to make her (or later, other established characters) as the "new Albert Wesker." And in that sense, given what you said about her as a character and the importance of such, you must agree thats gotta be worse.
              Last edited by Rombie; 04-14-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

All that I know is that if Albert Wesker comes back, I won't ever be able to take this series seriously again.

I used to be a fan of DBZ. Up to the point where main characters started dying, only to be revived later by way of those damn dragon balls. So, whenever the show tried once again to make the audience feel sorry because a main character was about to die, it didn't work anymore. Same thing would happen with RE if they were to pull this cloning of the main characters stunt.

It's just lazy, man. A lazy way to write a story. Using clones.
                sigpic

Comment

I agree with Piki its not the fact that they mastered how to clone someone that bothers me. Its the fact that they are going to use clone Ada for RE6 to be the villain and then kill her off as if its some big deal then come RE7 whats next a bad Jill clone? Pfft please why bother just go big or go home. I suspect they will kill off clone Ada and expect it to be a big deal. Can you imagine if other movies/games did this? Wow Darth vader is dead....no wait its a clone!!! Poor Jack Dawson went down with the Titanic....nope clone. Lol its pathetic. Either use the real Ada or I really dont see the point in her being in the game at all. How pissed would people have been if in RE5 Jill was a clone? P30 is looking pretty good right now. I've never been seriously pissed at this series like very very angry but if it turns out this game is centred around a fake Ada then Im going to be pretty fucked off.

Edit: So to sum up.....Fuck clones
                  Last edited by CrimsonElder; 04-14-2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PSCD1162.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	401051

Doesn't matter whether you think she's evil or good....cause she's evil.

But furthermore. She doesn't need a clone. None of them do.

Comment

@ Pik - Fair call. If you're using clones to just justify bringing back dead characters (especially in Wesker's case where he's come back already) then I wouldn't disagree one bit.

@ Crimson - Cloning has already been done and mastered earlier in the franchise, that's not Pik's complaint. The simple fact the cloning this makes people so irate just facinates me because it's in a franchise where, as far as I'm concerned, a lot worse has and could have happened. But I'm not here to disagree with personal opinion specifically... I'm just really surprised at the response.

@ Smiley - I read through the entire trailer topic including the argument where News Bot crossed the line, but yet you still never justified the "evil" label. But probably and simply not from lack of trying, I just don't think anyone can. And not because I just couldn't agree on evil either. It's just labelling her either good or evil is incorrect from the way I see this.

Ada wouldn't have the fans she does if she was just "evil" because she would be a simple villian role. And much as Pik for example mused about her history as an antangonist (or even protagonist), if that was the case by traditional Resident Evil history she just wouldn't have lasted in the franchise. The fact that over the years they've made her motivations, intentionally via scripting or unintentionally through lack there of sometimes, overly complex and not straight forward tells you to label her simply good or evil incorrect because it's not that clear cut.

But hey if you really do think so, that it's clear cut - and fair enough your choice, then I have a question. If it turns out then that it's a clone of Ada to avoid having her as an "actual villian," what does that then really mean to you as far as her being "evil"? Because clearly Capcom staff don't agree or else they would just have her doing whatever "evil" it is. And not a clone.
                      Last edited by Rombie; 04-15-2012, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I'm just having fun with News Bot as usual. If she's not evil then we've made progress from being a gray character to him labeling her as good. I'm just keeping that filed on my mahogany desk.

All I'm saying is that Leon didn't seem like a crooked cop/government agent so holding him at gunpoint didn't seem very heroic. And I highly doubt her shady rival organization isn't taking these samples for a fan collection to display. Working as Wesker's spy (even if it's a guise) doesn't open up much faith that her tasks are clean.

Then in furthering the awkwardness of the end scene between them in RE4 I remembered what Leon did, and it's clear that the only true hero RE5 has going for it has to be Chris Redfield.

Leon is a lapdog to a unnecessarily twisted U.S. Government who is a loose canon when his love interest is involved. Jake is a mercenary all about the Benjamins when it comes to saving the world.

So yeah.... Chris and his fellow BSAA. Who'd have thought....

If you want to find a sliver of balance then neutral-evil would be what you should lean towards to in regards to Ada. Like Raymond Ocelot from Revelations.
                        Last edited by Smiley; 04-15-2012, 12:22 AM.

Comment

"You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough."

Yeah, as I said I just wouldn't personally lean one way or the other - so I don't agree with News Bot entirely either or I don't disagree with your points. As I mentioned I think thats why I was quite taken with Anti-Hero as a more suitable label.

But I totally do agree with you on everything else though. Well almost. Chris is clearly a non-issue, but there is even question over the investment into the existance of the BSAA I think. Also the fact they keep sending soldiers into obviously very dangerous situations always poorly supported. :p
                          Last edited by Rombie; 04-15-2012, 12:37 AM.

Comment

They knew the risks boy.

As far as I'm aware the BSAA aren't exactly using bribery and coercion to join their cause. And despite noble intentions people that used pawns like O'Brien were removed.

Chris is a founding member who's right there in the action with his men.

Chris, I salute you....
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	austin_powers_02_guerre_froide.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	401052
                            Last edited by Smiley; 04-15-2012, 12:42 AM.

Comment

RE has never used clones like this before. Alexia and Alfred (what was he anyway, some unexpected accident like Danny Devito in twins?) were testube babies, they still had to be born and grown old.

If that is a clone of Ada coming from the pod then that is an entirely different ballpark in terms of how it can destroy anything meaningful about a character. Kill that bad guy, world saved? Nope is just like Dr Doom, if he ever gets defeated or killed then was just a Doombot though we will not find this out until they need another Dr Doom story later.

In a lab somewhere Wesker 2.0 could be waking up in a stasis tube because the real Wesker's lifesigns flatlined. Wesker totally knew about the C-Virus but only used it for a backup incase his Uroboros plan failed. Or whatever clone bullshit want to write, it all can work with intelligent adult clones.
                              Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

That is my main concern.

'What's that? You don't like Wesker dying. Clone. Don't like Ada dying? Clone. Think Enrico Marini, that magnificent stallion of a man, got shafted? Bravo Team's nickname was Clone Squad, they're all over there now as BSAA agents. End boss defeated? Clone. Main character killed? Clone. Fuck it, the whole cast of RE6 is actually at a party. The people you play? All Clones.'

It gives them the lazy D&D 'Get 5000 gold pieces worth of diamond dust and your character can return from the grave' Get Out Of Death card, and Capcom hasn't exactly been shy in the past about reviving dead characters. Now they don't even need to think about how to do it. It was actually Clone Jill who slept with Clone Claire before throwing Clone Wesker into a Clone Vat.'

Comment

Working...
                                X