The woman known as Ada Wong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
    RE has never used clones like this before. Alexia and Alfred (what was he anyway, some unexpected accident like Danny Devito in twins?) were testube babies, they still had to be born and grown old.

If that is a clone of Ada coming from the pod then that is an entirely different ballpark in terms of how it can destroy anything meaningful about a character. Kill that bad guy, world saved? Nope is just like Dr Doom, if he ever gets defeated or killed then was just a Doombot though we will not find this out until they need another Dr Doom story later.

In a lab somewhere Wesker 2.0 could be waking up in a stasis tube because the real Wesker's lifesigns flatlined. Wesker totally knew about the C-Virus but only used it for a backup incase his Uroboros plan failed. Or whatever clone bullshit want to write, it all can work with intelligent adult clones.
    They weren't test tube babies. They were outright clones of Veronica. The only difference is that Alexander manipulated the "intelligence gene". I still haven't heard anyone bitching about the ridiculousness of the latter, or even the fact that two fully functioning human clones were cloned from a centuries old mummified corpse in the 1970s.

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
    That is my main concern.

'What's that? You don't like Wesker dying. Clone. Don't like Ada dying? Clone. Think Enrico Marini, that magnificent stallion of a man, got shafted? Bravo Team's nickname was Clone Squad, they're all over there now as BSAA agents. End boss defeated? Clone. Main character killed? Clone. Fuck it, the whole cast of RE6 is actually at a party. The people you play? All Clones.'

It gives them the lazy D&D 'Get 5000 gold pieces worth of diamond dust and your character can return from the grave' Get Out Of Death card, and Capcom hasn't exactly been shy in the past about reviving dead characters. Now they don't even need to think about how to do it. It was actually Clone Jill who slept with Clone Claire before throwing Clone Wesker into a Clone Vat.'
    You're exaggerating, and saying this as if clones don't have minds of their own. Ada clone already looks like she has a completely different personality from real Ada. It's not really a case of appeasing fans if it's not even the same basic character outside of looks, and the clone looks dramatically different from Ada in her last appearance and has a completely different personality that her fans loved in the first place.
    Last edited by News Bot; 04-15-2012, 06:02 AM.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
      'What's that? You don't like Wesker dying. Clone. Don't like Ada dying? Clone. Think Enrico Marini, that magnificent stallion of a man, got shafted? Bravo Team's nickname was Clone Squad, they're all over there now as BSAA agents. End boss defeated? Clone. Main character killed? Clone. Fuck it, the whole cast of RE6 is actually at a party. The people you play? All Clones.'
      This. Clones is as awful a plot device as "it was all a dream". It's narrative poison.
      Last edited by Kaine; 04-15-2012, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaine View Post
        This. Clones is as awful a plot device as "it was all a dream". It's narrative poison.
        And this too.

I don't give a shit if it was done before with LESSER characters or BOWs. But when they apply it to main characters. That's where I draw the line.
        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
          You're exaggerating, and saying this as if clones don't have minds of their own. Ada clone already looks like she has a completely different personality from real Ada. It's not really a case of appeasing fans if it's not even the same basic character outside of looks, and the clone looks dramatically different from Ada in her last appearance and has a completely different personality that her fans loved in the first place.
          I am exaggerating for my own amusement, yes. The problem is that if we're actively cloning main characters then the situation gets silly. You never know if you're defeating the real villain or a last minute clone replacement hurled in and injected with a mutating virus.

And let's face it, if Capcom decides 'We want Wesker 2.0, and Wesker used Umbrella's tech to transfer all his knowledge over (bar the bit where he gets blown up)' then they can. Memory transfer isn't exactly huge if we're growing fully functional clone people. They can do the same and say it was a slightly broken clone that went nuts, killed Spencer and did RE5, leaving an amused Wesker lurking in his shadowy office, letting everyone think he was either a nutcase in Africa or dead, depending on the time.

Frankly, we don't know enough about Ada to make many judgements as to her personality, especially compared to the limited scenes in the trailer. Would she murder people? She worked for Wesker, even if she was only pretending to, for years...I doubt his people have much by way of morals, and Ada wouldn't be much use as a spy if she just happened to be the exception. Just because she hasn't murdered Leon yet doesn't mean she won't kill, either for a greater good based on her mission or because she just ain't that nice.

As for insulting Wesker...she was betraying the guy for, what, half a decade? I doubt she has all that much respect for him.

And manipulating Leon into defending her seems very Ada-ish to me, but that's just me.

Comment

I think it's too early to judge this 'clone' story.

Comment

As for insulting Wesker...she was betraying the guy for, what, half a decade? I doubt she has all that much respect for him.
              Originally posted by Ada's Report
              However, Wesker's not stupid.

Spoiler:
              Last edited by News Bot; 04-15-2012, 07:49 AM.

Comment

The Wesker's Not Dumb comment, if I recall, is from before he decided that Uroboros was actually a workable idea. And I was talking more about the fact she insulted him in terms of respect to him, not respect towards his mind (which went walkabouts).

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
                  They weren't test tube babies. They were outright clones of Veronica. The only difference is that Alexander manipulated the "intelligence gene". I still haven't heard anyone bitching about the ridiculousness of the latter, or even the fact that two fully functioning human clones were cloned from a centuries old mummified corpse in the 1970s.
                  This is assuming that if any cloning storyline is true, then they are using real life examples where the clone is born from a surrogate and they take a normal number of years to mature into adulthood. I have no problem with this in the game world. The problem is that if what the rumours suggest is going to happen, the "cloning" they mean is the retarded sci-fi kind where they are grown in a vat and come out fully adult after 2 hours with full cognition and the memories of the original person.

Comment

Originally posted by Code_R View Post
                    This is assuming that if any cloning storyline is true, then they are using real life examples where the clone is born from a surrogate and they take a normal number of years to mature into adulthood. I have no problem with this in the game world. The problem is that if what the rumours suggest is going to happen, the "cloning" they mean is the retarded sci-fi kind where they are grown in a vat and come out fully adult after 2 hours with full cognition and the memories of the original person.
                    You are correct. The developers described the Ashford cloning process in full (although the files in the game explain it already):

- If you infer from the description in the "CODE:Veronica Report", those two were made in the process of manufacturing a clone of one person, that is, a duplicate of Veronica, and they aren't Alexander's children*. Moreover, he added to Veronica's genes, which were used as a template, to achieve an intelligence higher than the original.
                    (*) ... If a specific gene is electrically fused with a mature oocyte with nucleus removed, the ovum enters the process of fertilization, begins to divide and the same genes are fused = become a clone of the owner's genes (cloning process). Alexander also incorporated the genes (he prepared) of Veronica to the mature oocyte of a surrogate mother creating brother and sister, and his sperm was not introduced. Furthermore, it has been said to be currently impossible to create clones from genes of the deceased.
                    We still don't know the process involved in creating the Ada clone. All we know so far is that she was created from a C-Virus cocoon, which have the ability to create completely new organisms. I highly doubt she retains Ada's memories since the latter isn't genetic... although they did pull that with Marcus and the Queen Leech, the latter merely thinking it's Marcus because it "took on his will and memories". Hopefully this process will be a lot different.
                    Last edited by News Bot; 04-15-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Yes. Which leaves us with the question... where did Ada 2.0 come from and why?

Comment

Originally posted by Code_R View Post
                        Yes. Which leaves us with the question... where did Ada 2.0 come from and why?
                        We'll find out in the game.

Spoiler:
                        Last edited by News Bot; 04-15-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I have a little bit of hope that they will unshed the truth on M. Suzuki. Carla would make more sense than Ada

Comment

Maybe Carla is M.Suzuki???

Also if the C-virus and cloning with it were developed before RE5 you can bet your ass Wesker will come back. It's just a matter of time.
                            Last edited by Vito; 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vito View Post
                              Also if the C-virus and cloning with it were developed before RE5 you can bet your ass Wesker will come back. It's just a matter of time.
                              Maybe the real Wesker will come back... the clone died in RE5. Either way, it sucks.
                              Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister
                                Maybe the real Wesker will come back... the clone died in RE5.
                                They better not do something like that. I'll burn my whole collection if that turns out to be the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X