No announcement yet.

CAPCOM Translators: Ruining The Plot Since 1996

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The translation of Revelations is balls.

Originally posted by Balls.
    THE FBC'S CHARTER

The Federal Bioterrorism Commission was founded by the U.S. government to be the enforcing agency of the guidelines set forth by the National Species Protection Act.

This document outlines the FBC's charter and the responsibilies of its members.

The FBC is charged with protecting the United States and her interests from biological threats. Our organization will work with other countries and their respective wildlife protection organs to guard public health. As such, we are tasked with ensuring the biological safety of the public at large.

The duties of all FBC members include the research, training and support of the biological community. Policies will be fomented on a needs-only basis, with any additional budget expenditures and extraordinary activities being approved by a plenary session of the Wildlife Protection Committee.

The FBC chair is selected by the Wildlife Protection Committee. The chair's duties include complete oversight of the FBC and coordination of all activities with respective U.S. Cabinet officials. The FBC chair is the final overseer of the National Animal Protection Community.

All members of the National Animal Protection Community are entitled to request help from the chair, including the Secretaries of State and Defense, and the Director of National Intelligence. However, the chair has final authority on all matters of national biological safety.
    Originally posted by Proper.
    FBC SERVICE RULES AND REGULATIONS PREFACE

The FBC was established in the United States in 2001 as the enforcement agency of biological defense, according to stipulated national biological defense laws.

This letter stipulates the policies and officiation of the FBC and its personnel.

The FBC carries out exclusive jurisdiction of biological defense in the country or areas related to U.S. interests, and performs regulation with public health and biological defense agencies of other countries.
    We have and must make efforts for the guarantee of national biological safety.

The FBC formulates systems considered to be necessary for research and development in relation to support, training and biological defense with FBC personnel officiation, and has the authority to draft schemes for budget and action plans under the approval of the National Security Council.

The FBC chairperson is elected by the National Security Council and not only commands FBC personnel and shoulders the unifcation of strategic decisions and regulation, but also holds an additional post of National Biological Defense Community Director.

Regarding the enforcement of activity, they have the right to demand support from the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Defense, the Director of National Intelligence and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who participate in the national biological defense community.
    Preferential cooperation support is particularly required when related to national biological defense.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Call me lazy (or maybe it's just 'cause it reminds me of my second job / income), but I hate reading the same text several times to look for 5 mistakes

Mind highlighting the noteworthy content differences between the official translation and your retranslations?

Comment

The date of the FBC establishment is lost and the FBC is responsible for "Wildlife Protection" in the English version. The FBC chairperson is selected by the "Wildlife Protection Committee" (lol) in the English version, but in reality, they are elected by the National Security Council.

I actually wonder now if it is meant to tie-in to BH6. A lot of top government officials are involved.

Comment

How the hell the National Security Council turns into the Wildlife Protection Committee? It's like Capcom's translators are just fucking with people now.

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
            The translation of Revelations is balls.
            Just so you know, this part: "The FBC chair is selected by the Wildlife Protection Committee", does not appear in some of the other translations found in the game.

Translators b Ballin'
            Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
              Just so you know, this part: "The FBC chair is selected by the Wildlife Protection Committee", does not appear in some of the other translations found in the game.

Translators b Ballin'
              Well then we can narrow it down to the English translation being balls. Then again, it's been that way for 16 years and has yet to change.

Comment

Well then we can narrow it down to the English translation being balls. Then again, it's been that way for 16 years and has yet to change.
                It's a tradition. Why break it?
                sigpic

Comment

Out of interest.

How do other games series' translations compare to RE? For example, how does a rather large series like MGS compare? Do they have, generally extremely strong subs? Or when analysed just as terrible?

It just somewhat staggers me that a series as big as Resident Evil can have such major issues as seen in the translation, with key details missing and blatent errors or guess work.

And also, the English dialogue, is always recorded well in advance and is often (not so much with the recent RE's such as Revs or the coming RE6) the only way audio wise for even Japanese gamers, how shit is it that they are submitted to such awful errors.
                  Last edited by [STARS]TyranT; 05-01-2012, 05:39 PM.
                  http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                  http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                  Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [STARS]TyranT View Post
                    Out of interest.

How do other games series' translations compare to RE? For example, how does a rather large series like MGS compare? Do they have, generally extremely strong subs? Or when analysed just as terrible?

It just somewhat staggers me that a series as big as Resident Evil can have such major issues as seen in the translation, with key details missing and blatent errors or guess work.

And also, the English dialogue, is always recorded well in advance and is often (not so much with the recent RE's such as Revs or the coming RE6) the only way audio wise for even Japanese gamers, how shit is it that they are submitted to such awful errors.
                    The likes of MGS and Final Fantasy are translated pretty well because Konami and Square actually put effort into localization, and the translators take it seriously, try and be familiar with the material and are very dedicated to their work. CAPCOM don't pay much attention to the translation, and there's absolutely no oversight or collaboration with the development team. This is either because the developers cannot speak English or the translators cannot speak Japanese, or they are simply not good at one or both languages.

Can't wait for the inevitable insults I get, though. Haha.

Comment

The likes of MGS and Final Fantasy are translated pretty well because Konami and Square actually put effort into localization....
                      Not always.

In the case of FF, Square was infamous for their "engrish". And like in most cases, it was mostly a direct result of them not being able to fit the English text into a particular game. Their translation/localization work only started improving around 1999-2000.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                        Not always.

In the case of FF, Square was infamous for their "engrish". And like in most cases, it was mostly a direct result of them not being able to fit the English text into a particular game. Their translation/localization work only started improving around 1999-2000.
                        Yeah, but that's what I mean.

The work on Parasite Eve was very good, also.

Comment

The likes of MGS and Final Fantasy are translated pretty well because Konami and Square actually put effort into localization, and the translators take it seriously, try and be familiar with the material and are very dedicated to their work.
                          No @Studio putting in effort
                          Yes @translators taking it seriously

Almost all interviews with people who worked on late 90s and early 00 localizations for those companies seems to indicate that studio/publisher were pretty much only getting in the way of their outsourced translation efforts.

Anyway, it's true that after a major bump in quality during the jump to the PS1 (partly Sony's fault), Square's loc efforts improved drastically. (And some of their finest in modern days should without a doubt be properly credited to people like Alexander O. Smith, Honeywood, or 8-4.)

Comment

Hey NewsBot, how are your translation skills out of curiosity?

I know some of the translation issues come from rush jobs, what would you say s the number one problem with translations in general?

Comment

It depends on what Japanese restaurant he goes to.
                              See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                                No @Studio putting in effort
                                Yes @translators taking it seriously

Almost all interviews with people who worked on late 90s and early 00 localizations for those companies seems to indicate that studio/publisher were pretty much only getting in the way of their outsourced translation efforts.

Anyway, it's true that after a major bump in quality during the jump to the PS1 (partly Sony's fault), Square's loc efforts improved drastically. (And some of their finest in modern days should without a doubt be properly credited to people like Alexander O. Smith, Honeywood, or 8-4.)
                                Well when I said Konami and Square, I really meant their translators.

Hey NewsBot, how are your translation skills out of curiosity?

I know some of the translation issues come from rush jobs, what would you say s the number one problem with translations in general?
                                I'm unable to judge my own translations haha. Which is why I need feedback from people. I tend to be more interested in the information in the text, so I often translate it in a very literal, drab style. Later, I reword and rephrase to make it sound less stilted and awkward and more natural in English. In turn, it helps improve my own writing ability and I tend to remember conclusions I make to certain difficult words or phrases.

Without knowing how CAPCOM's translators in particular actually do their job, I'd have to say that they simply don't pay attention or care about details and have no qualms with making stuff up to speed their own job up.
                                Last edited by News Bot; 05-02-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X