"Zwei" New survival horror gamer from Shinji Mikami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
    Except when it comes to other peoples opinions.
    Well yeah, but opinions suck.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

What's that image of zombies originally from?

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
        What's that image of zombies originally from?
        The War Z.

Comment

I get a real strong RE4 vibe from this concept.

I mean it literally looks like the village in RE4.....which isn't a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
            Well yeah, but opinions suck.
            That depends if you're willing to argue the merits of an opinion, instead of aggressively rely on ad hominem and other character attacks.

Differences of opinion in a good argument or debate aren't really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by CODE_umb87 View Post
              I get a real strong RE4 vibe from this concept.

I mean it literally looks like the village in RE4.....which isn't a bad thing.
              i agree. i hope it has all these color filters and graphics.

Comment

Was Resident Evil an example of one of the things Mikami didn’t want to do?

Mikami hated it. This is how our conversation went:
                “You hate being scared?”
                “Yep.”

So I figured we should do it. [laughs] If he’d answered that he never got scared, I couldn’t have trusted him with the project. People who aren’t afraid of anything don’t understand what’s frightening. In my view, you can’t make a horror game if you don’t have any fear.
                Ok News Bot, it seems you take this statement the wrong way. It doesn't prove anything on Mikami. Quite the contrary actually. Fujiwara or whatever his name is just said that Mikami knows fear, because he's easily afraid and that's why he trusted him to make the game. That's all. This is the most stupid "proof" to discredit Mikami I've ever read, really...
                Last edited by Grem; 04-20-2013, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grem View Post
                  Ok News Bot, it seems you take this statement the wrong way. It doesn't prove anything on Mikami. Quite the contrary actually. Fujiwara or whatever his name is just said that Mikami knows fear, because he's easily afraid and that's why he trusted him to make the game. That's all. This is the most stupid "proof" to discredit Mikami I've ever read, really...
                  That in particular was only meant to show that Mikami didn't decide to make the game. He was ordered to do it, which is contrary to what a lot of people believe. Sweet Home was not his inspiration either. He was ordered to make a game based on it because Fujiwara had worked on Sweet Home and wanted to make a new horror franchise since the company no longer held the license.

Again, still waiting on an example of what Mikami did in BH1.

Comment

Yes, but even Mikami admitted it. I remember this interview where he said that it was Fujiwara who wanted him to be the director for a horror game based on sweet home. This is not really new. I know that a lot of people are ignorant regarding Mikami, anyway. But you discredit his work like he did NOTHING in BH1 which is untrue. Why would Fujiwara trust Mikami if he doesn't contribute on anything? That is stupid.

Yes, Mikami didn't come up with the general idea behind the game and, yes, he didn't create the RE universe all on his own (characters and story), but he planned the game which is the most essential and that's why RE1 is famous for.

He was the director, the one who decided on the general progression of the game. He was probably the one who decided "that dog should break that window at that moment", things like that. He's the one who tells the team "yeah I like this element, puts that in at that moment". And it was because of this that RE1 was scary and efficient.

The fact that Fujiwara came up with the idea of a horror game and the fixed camera didn't make the game successful. It could have sucked without a proper vision. So you should not deny Mikami's work altogether. If you're denying the director aspect then you're just ignoring the game as a whole. Do you really think RE was successful at the time because of the story or clunk controls? Nope, it was because the horror elements were well included in the game and because you had the feeling of surviving a horror movie. And Fujiwara trusting Mikami on the project for the horror aspect, just speak for itself.

Mikami was told by Fujiwara to do something scary, and that's what Mikami tried to do with his team.

To put it simple : he didn't create anything specifically, but his vision for the general game resulted in something special and scary. That's what made RE successful.

Here's an example : If a movie has a great script, good music, great actors but a shitty director, do you really think the movie is going to be good?

Comment

he didn't create anything specifically
                      Thank you for proving my point. Very few know what he actually did. Off the top of my head, he did direct the opening and ending movies (making two of his planners angry in the process) and decided on the herbs.

Everything else you just said has nothing to do with what I was implying. He's a great director with a great vision who deserves every ounce of respect he has from fans and those who've worked with him and the series wouldn't have been such a success without him. My point was that he is often credited for specific things he didn't do, it's as simple as that. I was not referring to the game's success. Only that it was Fujiwara who devised the project.

Comment

Then it's all fine.

But you made it seem like Mikami did nothing for the success of RE1.

Obviously, Mikami god status among RE is exaggerated, but he clearly has a great vision regarding videogames.
                        Last edited by Grem; 04-20-2013, 06:22 AM.

Comment

I was reading the posts on the previous pages on what Mikami should be credited for.and you know what. WHO CARES????? Thats irrelvent now.The fact is he and the original RE Team created it.Period. What we should be focusing on now is Evil With In, which is Mikami's new "Resident Evil" Franchise.
                          Last edited by BrionIrons; 04-21-2013, 11:20 PM.
                          sigpic
                          www.unitedstateslines.net

Comment

'Franchise' might be a strong word. This game needs to be good before it's likely to get any sequels. I'm a lot more confident in Bethesda making a decent game than I am Mikami - the last game I played of his was, after all, Resident Evil 4 - Now With 100% More Midget Robots.

Comment

New article about the game came out today at IGN

The Evil Within First Look

It includes an interview and impressions of a demo.

“Obviously I like horror,” he muses. “But survival horror has been drifting away from what makes it survival horror. And so I want to bring it back. Bring back survival horror to where it was.”
                              SOURCE: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/22/the-evil-within-first-look?abthid=5175427de0cbbcba3a000005

My own impressions... I don't find gory shit scary at all (I find the Saw movies funny instead of scary). But I hope that's not all there is to this game. I see a lot of RE4 influences. There is even a dude with a chainsaw and the enemies (regular ones) are kind of like Ganados.
                              Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                              sigpic

Comment

From what they say, the game is obviously a mix between psychological horror and RE-like horror. "RE4 meets Silent Hill" is perhaps the best summary for that game.

I'm really excited about it, but I want to see some gameplay!
                                Last edited by Grem; 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X