How did STARS operate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did STARS operate?

I'm having a bit of an issue grasping how STARS operated in the precinct. I know what their purpose was, but when looking at some of the minor details somethings confuse me and I want to know if there are even answers to these.

First off, Why is it that Chris never met Rebecca prior to the mansion incident? I get that she was a newcomer, but that wasn't her first day or anything. I mean, they shared an office! Bravo team obviously had time to get to know her a bit so why didn't Alpha even MEET the new recruit? Do they not operate simultaneously? Chris and Jill maintained a friendship with Forest, and seemed friendly with the others, so I can't imagine they never work together.

Another question I had was whether or not the uniforms they wore while out at the mansion was their standard RPD uniform. Chris and Jill's ID card appears to have them wearing regular cop uniforms, so were those just for when they were on cases?

And lastly, I question how the teams were prior to Rebecca's hiring. Was there any mention of other STARS members even in passing? Because prior to Rebecca Alpha team was short a member.

LEADERS:
    Wesker - Marini
    POINT MAN: Redfield - Sullivan
    BACK UP: Burton - Aiken
    OMNI MAN: ??? - Frost + Speyer??
    REAR SECURITY: Vickers - Dewey
    REAR SECURITY: Valentine - ???

Anyone have an idea on the matter or was that mystery member in the group photo, that everyone just labeled Kevin, the missing Alpha member who retired or...something? Any insight on these would be helpful! =D

As a STARS enthusiast i've often pondered these things, I do believe it was mentioned on PU that there's a feature looking at how STARS operated but I'm sure Newsbot will confirm or deny when he's catches this thread.
    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

As far as Chris and Rebecca not seeing each other I can only assume that they worked shifts. Thats why they are spread out into two teams and with them being on opposite teams this seems plausible if she hasnt been working there long. I do recall Becca and Chris meeting for the first time in the original RE1 but in Remake there is no mention of it being their first meeting. Or am I wrong?

I like this topic though I've often wondered alot of things about the STARS office. Like even if they were in shifts how the heck did they all cram into that one room. They would HAVE to have been on shifts cause if they were all there at once they would be like a tin of sardines. Also poor Brad has no desk so I take it he sits on the chair by the radio all day. Doesnt really make sense but I'd like to find out more about that office so I'l be watching this thread but I wont get my hopes up for a reasonable explaination because I think its just one of those things like how there one toilet in a huge mansion and none in a police station. Theres like 10 beds in a place filled with zombie humans in the mansion.

Comment

I always wondered why a "small midwestern town" that seemed like a quiet place to live needed an elite special task force in the first place. What did they do all day before zombies began eating their faces...traffic duty? And if they did...what the hell were the normal officers doing?
        sigpic
        Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

We have a lot of information on S.T.A.R.S. that we've been sitting on for quite a while. For one thing, they're not actually based on S.W.A.T. (at least that isn't the primary inspiration). They're based on the E.S.U. (Emergency Service Unit). Rebecca joined S.T.A.R.S. in June. How Chris never met her is unknown, but they probably just weren't on-duty at the same time. Usually only a single Team is necessary for operations. They wear regular police uniforms when not in field operations.

Also don't look into the S.T.A.R.S. office too much. The only reason Rebecca has a desk is because she was one of the main characters of the first game, and that's who they paid most attention too (and who people would recognize most). The level designs in the series aren't made for realism.
          Last edited by News Bot; 04-25-2012, 09:32 AM.
          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
            We have a lot of information on S.T.A.R.S. that we've been sitting on for quite a while. For one thing, they're not actually based on S.W.A.T. (at least that isn't the primary inspiration). They're based on the E.S.U. (Emergency Service Unit).

Also don't look into the S.T.A.R.S. office too much. The only reason Rebecca has a desk is because she was one of the main characters of the first game, and that's who they paid most attention too (and who people would recognize most). The level designs in the series aren't made for realism.
            Yeah I figured this was the reason but I was kinda hoping there was more to it. How hard would it have been to make a bigger office though or even add another door maybe one that you couldnt even enter. I would have settled for that.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonElder View Post
              Also poor Brad has no desk so I take it he sits on the chair by the radio all day.
              There's another desk in the office, with the fax machine! :O He totally could have sat there!

We have a lot of information on S.T.A.R.S. that we've been sitting on for quite a while.(...) Rebecca joined S.T.A.R.S. in June. How Chris never met her is unknown, but they probably just weren't on-duty at the same time. Usually only a single Team is necessary for operations. They wear regular police uniforms when not in field operations.
              Chris not meeting Rebecca just seems even more silly now but Thanks! I wasn't actually expecting any of these answers, so it's nice that I got at least one!

Comment

Does the Remake feature any lines regarding Chris not meeting Rebecca previous? I don't think it does does it?

I'll have to check.

Comment

EDIT: Comparing the three meetings with Rebecca.

ORIGINAL
                  Chris: "You must be from the Bravo Team."
                  Rebecca: "Yes! I'm Rebecca! Rebecca Chambers. I just joined S.T.A.R.S Bravo Team last month!"

REMAKE
                  Rebecca: "You."
                  Chris: "Chris Redfield, Alpha Team, we're here to rescue you."

UMBRELLA CHRONICLES

Rebecca: "Who are...?"
                  Chris: "Chris Redfield from Alpha Team!"
                  Rebecca: "Alpha team!? Thank Goodness!"

She seems almost familiar with Chris in REmake but the other two, they seem like super strangers.
                  Last edited by Kei_M; 04-25-2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Yeah i'll go by Remake

Comment

We have a lot of information on S.T.A.R.S. that we've been sitting on for quite a while. For one thing, they're not actually based on S.W.A.T. (at least that isn't the primary inspiration). They're based on the E.S.U. (Emergency Service Unit). Rebecca joined S.T.A.R.S. in June. How Chris never met her is unknown, but they probably just weren't on-duty at the same time. Usually only a single Team is necessary for operations. They wear regular police uniforms when not in field operations.

I'l definatley stand by Remake on that one. Looks like I had a point there then. Still doesnt explain alot of questions I've had about that office though. Now that Newsbot mentioned it I do recall seeing a photo of Jill somewhere in police uniform I thought this was in the RE3 epilogues but after checking its not. Ah turns out its an alternate outfit on the same game.

Hardly canon though. I'm curious Newsbot how you know that the STARS wore police uniform when not on field duty.
                      Last edited by CrimsonElder; 04-25-2012, 07:14 PM.

Comment

In Resident Evil Zero Rebecca was a brand new recruit on her very first mission. She had replaced another medic in the team. That would've cut the chances that Chris knew who she was.

And I don't think her reaction in Remake confirms anything other than the fact that Rebecca was perhaps familiar with Chris Redfield (he had a reputation, remember?). Maybe she was going to ask, "You're not infected?"
                        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonElder View Post
                          I'l definatley stand by Remake on that one. Looks like I had a point there then. Still doesnt explain alot of questions I've had about that office though. Now that Newsbot mentioned it I do recall seeing a photo of Jill somewhere in police uniform I thought this was in the RE3 epilogues but after checking its not. Ah turns out its an alternate outfit on the same game.

Hardly canon though. I'm curious Newsbot how you know that the STARS wore police uniform when not on field duty.
                          Police officers generally don't walk around in body armor. Especially not in their own station.

And don't take her reaction in REmake as anything worthwhile. The translation of that game's scenario is utter dick.
                          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Police officers generally don't walk around in body armor. Especially not in their own station.

And don't take her reaction in REmake as anything worthwhile. The translation of that game's scenario is utter dick.
                            It depends. Officers generally have vests sometimes external vests such as what Leon wears in RE2. I think it's going to be the same premise as any other police force. You have you Class B duty uniform. And your special duty gear. Most SWAT officers around here work the streets until a call comes out then they "suit up".

As for the STARS office.....generally the only time real cops are in their office is roll-call and when they write reports. The RPD had seperate rooms for both. I just like to think Chris and Rebecca were on opposite lines.

What I just laughed at is the poor tactical decision to send Bravo team in at night into a low light area without proper back-up. (I know it was Weskers ploy).

Comment

Oh I dunno if I agree with that. They could just wear casual clothing around the workplace untill called into duty. I doubt they would wear police uniform in the meantime. If they are called in an emergencey it would be easier to get changed from casual clothing, plus I imagine they wouldnt be at work a whole lot only when pre and post missions. I having doubt they would patrol the streets on a quiet day.

Comment

Working...
                              X