Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Mail says: Playing RE4 with a plastic gun can turn you into a MURDERER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
    Don't give these asspackers any fuel.
    Didn't you did that when you said "asspackers"? =O
    There you go, now they will think we're aggressive! XD

Comment

The Daily Mail is literally the worst. Nobody should get upset about the crap they try to pass off as news.

That said, I've had a front row seat for the "gaming wars" for 20 years. I remember how the very first Mortal Kombat had a code to turn on blood effects. I remember the shitstorms about the various Grand Theft Auto games. I remember Columbine, and how the pundits and pearl-clutching housewives blamed the killing spree on everything from The Matrix to Marilyn Manson. The truth is, numerous academic studies have shown no conclusive link between video games and violent behavior. When you hear stories about some jerk committing murder "over a video game," you have to wonder if they would've eventually killed somebody no matter what.

Comment

And apparently, only males are affected by violent videogames. Since when was the last time a female went on a murderous rampage and then claiming videogames made her do it.

Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
        sigpic

Comment

That article has too many flaws. It's damn near impossible to play RE4 wii with a gun shell in the first place.

Comment

Also, I don't think that article does a good job at pointing out the underlying mechanics that makes those games radically different and how those differences also affects your playing style. It's like primary school science going on everytime you see someone write about some sort of science of video games.
            "The house is green; chances of it being made out of grass are 90%, since 9 out of 10 objects spotted today turned out to be ... grass."

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
            And apparently, only males are affected by violent videogames. Since when was the last time a female went on a murderous rampage and then claiming videogames made her do it.
            Women are malevolent by nature. There's no need for science to prove anything there.

Comment

...it was nice knowing you, Carn, but when you are soon murdered know we shall remember you as a guiding light and a warning.

Comment

This is good news.
                It means I don't have to practice before the eventual zombie apocalypse
                sigpic

Comment

Video games are an easy scapegoat when it comes to the tactics so-called journalists use these days. Just ignore them, and if you can't; tell them that psychologists are working on ways to use video games to treat PTSD in returning soldiers.

Comment

I don't know what the problem is, and I don't understand why you would complain about it. It's kinda proven that someone who plays shooter games is better at shooting with a real weapon than someone who doesn't. It's pure logic. Especially if you play with some kind of gun device such as the ones you can use with a wii mote or the guns for ps1/2.

Comment

We asked four kids to kick a ball into a football themed arcade game called Goal! and we asked four kids to sit on the side drinking soda. We then asked all eight kids to kick a ball on a football pitch, what we found was that those who kicked the ball on the arcade game instinctively aimed for the goal and scored more goals than those four kids who sat on the side drinking soda. Are we turning our kids into murderers?
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Read the conclusion again:

Bushman said he's not claiming that these games necessarily lead people to commit violent crimes.

‘But this study suggests these games can teach people to shoot more accurately and aim at the head,’ he said."
                        It's just that the title of the article is misleading. But in theory, yes, if you want to commit crimes and shoot at crap, you better practice with video games first.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                          I saw 'Daily Mail' and stopped reading.
                          This.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Hunter View Post
                            I don't know what the problem is, and I don't understand why you would complain about it. It's kinda proven that someone who plays shooter games is better at shooting with a real weapon than someone who doesn't. It's pure logic.
                            Have you ever held or shot a gun?
                            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

It's just that the title of the article is misleading. But in theory, yes, if you want to commit crimes and shoot at crap, you better practice with video games first.
                              Moving the control stick and pressing a button does not equal aimming and shooting a real gun.

Comment

I don't know what the problem is, and I don't understand why you would complain about it. It's kinda proven that someone who plays shooter games is better at shooting with a real weapon than someone who doesn't. It's pure logic. Especially if you play with some kind of gun device such as the ones you can use with a wii mote or the guns for ps1/2.
                                That's why I got this one here...

It's "pure logic" that I'll be better at throwing a football using one of these. Just like is "pure logic" that playing Tiger Woods games will turn me into a pro golfer.

Pure logic right there.
                                Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X