Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    #29 Birkin Type 1

Default Is Resident Evil 6 eliminating Qucik Time Events?

As we all know, games like God of War and Resident Evil 4 sported QTE's, these are cool of course but also getting kinda stale in video-games.

What we have seen of RE6's gameplay footage is Capcom are taking things further, evolving the genre they made so popular the last couple of years with Resident Evil 4. You guys may not agree but
    does it seem like QTE's in RE6 are more player controlled in the gameplay mechanics itself?

Jumping out of the way, diving forward all seem to be player controlled now, which excites me!
    Diving out of the way of that train heading straight for Leon instead of pressing a two button combination seems so much more rewarding, more scary and intense.

What are your thoughts? will QTE's dominate the game like RE4 and RE5, or has the evidence
    from our sneak peak at gameplay confirmed complete player immersion?

God I hope so!!!

Cunt Agent

More like Krauser knife fight.

Less like everything else.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

#29 Birkin Type 1

A QTE knife fight with a train, can it happen? maybe, just maybe!

Cunt Agent

Manually running away from the boulders in REmake was more tense and rewarding than button mashing in BH4.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

#29 Birkin Type 1

And that's why I hope these evades are entirely up to us with no button prompts.

A recent magazine interview confirmed that there was a QTE early in Leon's scenario. See the RE6 thread for more details.
    Mass production? Ridiculous!

As its been said already, wouldn't mind as long as they are like the Krauser knife fight, Keep it fast, tense, and making you grip your controller in some cutscenes. It felt so rewarding to make it through that fight the first time I played through RE4.

QTE's work when they actually allow room for you to miss a couple and change the scene.

Shenmue had some great fight sequences where by different things would or could happen if you missed prompts, little bit like what Heavy Rain did.

But yes for the most part QTE's are completely over done now.
    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by News Bot View Post
    More like Krauser knife fight.

Less like everything else.
    errr that's tricky. They tried to advance the plot and Krauser's character yet the fight itself is initially distracting because you're paying more attention to the next button prompt than what the characters are conveying to one another. Tense? Sure, but at a price.

Make button prompts optional like in Downpour. We know how to open doors and melee. Cutscenes with QTE button prompts are kind of annoying because you can easily get lost in the story. So I'm not much of a fan of them.
    Last edited by Smiley; 05-06-2012 at 04:39 AM.

Banned

Hate QTE actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrox2 View Post
    Hate QTE actually.
    Me too. I'm surprised people liked the Krauser knife fight; I found it to me one of the most tedious and boring sections of the game, particularly when doing multiple playthroughs. It simply isn't good gameplay to not have full control over your character and being forced to watch a damn cut scene every time you play the game.

#31 Birkin Type 3

"Is RE6 eliminating QTEs?"

I hope so...

Overly Old School

...does anyone even like QuickTime Events? I cannot think of one person who has gone, 'Whoa, dude, that fight with the guy when you have to QTE all the time? AWESOME! Way better than actually fighting him.'

#29 Birkin Type 1

I agree, they were cool in GOW and RE4 but they have gotten stale really fast, so I hope we will have to do those dives we have seen in the trailer ourselves or we die.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmoon View Post
    ...does anyone even like QuickTime Events? I cannot think of one person who has gone, 'Whoa, dude, that fight with the guy when you have to QTE all the time? AWESOME! Way better than actually fighting him.'
    Not all QTEs are used like this. I've never heard anyone complain about ME2/3s use of them, they have a nice use in the God of War games where you fight normally and then usually have a QTE finisher and high damage attack.

I think people usually dislike them when an entire sequence is turned into a QTE string. For example in RE5 when on the tanker, you run from the Uroboros yet all you do is press to dodge, the following part immediatly afterwards once inside you hav full control of your character but need to QTE to dodge the tentacles that burst out the ceiling. The latter is a much better method of implementation imo.
    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Just a new guy opinion here, but I think QTE's are great. Granted, RE5 definitely went overboard with them (although that one QTE in the ruins when the floor was collapsing a-la Indiana Jones was awesome), but overall I think that the occasional QTE in a cut scene makes the experience more gripping. The knife fight in RE4 is a good example of proper QTE usage.

@Smiley
    I didn't think that focusing on the button prompts while listening to Krauser was that difficult or distracting, if anything it made the situation more lifelike because you had to focus much like Leon would have to in such a fight.

QTE cut scenes kill replay value. If you get grabbed by an enemy and have to jam a button to get it off of you, I don't consider that a QTE.

I hate them and I would rather just watch a cut scene. I see no reason they would be gone any time soon though.

THIA Staff

I'm mixed about QTEs, but I feel that they are important if you're gonna have game throw cutscenes at you left 'n' right. It's pretty terrible when you run the risk of a game putting your controller into sleep mode - or when a game just keeps pulling non-interactive shit out of its ass to the point where you've entirely left "the zone" by the time you regain control of the action.

The knife fight from RE4 still stands as one of the prime samples of when and why QTEs can work (for anyone who never played Shenmue, anyway, the game that kinda coined the modernized version of the concept and more or less remaind king until a new one rose not too long ago)
    It was just tense as shit. It did camera stuff that couldn't be done in regular gameplay. It kept you glued

Now, for anyone who wants to see a game that does QTEs RIGHT; it's time people focus their attention on a Capcom game that people just didn't give the love it deserved;
    LOST PLANET 2.

Wanna see how bat shit insane that game is with the cutscene stuff?

1. Most cutscenes have some or entirely unique camera handling for each of the 4 players.
    2. QTEs are player # specific, so QTEs are different for each of the 4 players and at different points during the scenes.
    3. Failing a QTE usually doesn't trigger a mission fail, but does come at a drop in mission rank and battle score.
    4. Cutscenes have branching paths based on success/failure of various QTEs in the scene.
    5. All of the above is done realtime, with player customized characters, in a game people claimed was not polished nor made with love.

But it's true that doing "epic" shit without QTEs is truly the way to go (Chapter 3-3 in Lost Planet 2 says hi)
    Last edited by Carnivol; 05-09-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivol View Post
    I'm mixed about QTEs, but I feel that they are important if you're gonna have game throw cutscenes at you left 'n' right. It's pretty terrible when you run the risk of a game putting your controller into sleep mode - or when a game just keeps pulling non-interactive shit out of its ass to the point where you've entirely left "the zone" by the time you regain control of the action.

The knife fight from RE4 still stands as one of the prime samples of when and why QTEs can work (for anyone who never played Shenmue, anyway, the game that kinda coined the modernized version of the concept and more or less remaind king until a new one rose not too long ago)
    It was just tense as shit. It did camera stuff that couldn't be done in regular gameplay. It kept you glued

Now, for anyone who wants to see a game that does QTEs RIGHT; it's time people focus their attention on a Capcom game that people just didn't give the love it deserved;
    LOST PLANET 2.

Wanna see how bat shit insane that game is with the cutscene stuff?

1. Most cutscenes have some or entirely unique camera handling for each of the 4 players.
    2. QTEs are player # specific, so QTEs are different for each of the 4 players and at different points during the scenes.
    3. Failing a QTE usually doesn't trigger a mission fail, but does come at a drop in mission rank and battle score.
    4. Cutscenes have branching paths based on success/failure of various QTEs in the scene.
    5. All of the above is done realtime, with player customized characters, in a game people claimed was not polished nor made with love.

But it's true that doing "epic" shit without QTEs is truly the way to go (Chapter 3-3 in Lost Planet 2 says hi)
    Oh man, I've seen the QTE's in LP2, It's amazing. XD Never went hands on though. Regardless, I (and many others) think that QTE's enhance the experience. They make you use your brain a little whilst cutscenes are playing, much like in real life you have to focus on more than one thing in any given situation. Is it proper for 'every' cutscene? No. But I think they're entirely appropriate for the series and the direction RE6 seems to be going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information