No announcement yet.

Resident Evil: ORC - 1.7 million units sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laughing the canon issue is being brought up again. Is this meant to be a measure of success somehow or this a personal attack on me so worth reporting to a mod?
    Neither really, it was an off-hand joke. But you proved my point.

Besides S6 devs, Capcom US producers and Kawata all said it is canon or partly canon during the games development and running up to release day, but one single badly worded Q+A overwrites all this because haters say so. No evidence at all why all the comments from several different groups/individuals working on the game are wrong, no evidence why the Q+A trumps every other comments about the game, haters just say so, they say they know more than what people who make the game know just 'because it don't match my opinion and wants'. I'm not gonna reply to comments about this because it isn't even worth trying to argue with such baseless and blind logic. It takes liberties with things but so do other games set in RC, but haters only hating on ORC so nice double standard gets to be created. Not like it even matters, canon or not it will have no lasting effect on the series just like pretty much every other RE spin-off, they all just filler story.
    What liberties do other games set in Raccoon City take? Outbreak stays very true to the events of BH2 and BH3 and fits perfectly... and that's the only other game set in Raccoon City. Exaggeration win!

1) Mike Jones said it was canon. Mike Jones has no involvement in the series. Slant Six also have zero authority over the series.

2) Kawata said it was "immersed in the chronology/mythology". Every single game and piece of material in the series (inc. comics, drama albums), canon or otherwise, has this description. Not once did Kawata ever use the word "canon", and he said twice that it was a "what-if", which puts it on the same level as the drama albums. In other words, not canon.

Nice to see you making up even more bullshit and excuses to try and debase the credibility of anything that contradicts you. As if the writers don't know what they're saying and word everything badly because they happen to say you're wrong, right?

they say they know more than what people who make the game know just 'because it don't match my opinion and wants'.
    Nice try coming from the person who says that the writers shouldn't be believed: "This is why devs and writers words should not be taken as some kind of gospel." Yet you cling to their word as soon as they are even slightly in agreement with you, or if you can twist their statements to mean whatever you want. Hypocrite.

I'm not gonna reply to comments about this
    lol. You say this all the time. Usually a pretty clear indication that you don't have a clue what you're talking about and don't have any sources or evidence to back up your nonsense claims. Where have I seen this before?
    Last edited by News Bot; 05-09-2012, 07:38 PM.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
      Dramatic Horror... at large.

So much drama here.
      Ya know...maybe the dramatic horror Capcom was talking about was really how the fans would react to the recent RE games?O.o

Comment

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
        I'm not even defending it much, just some people are trying so hard to bring this game down in pretty much every way possible that pointing out errors in the argument looks like white knighting in contrast. I'm not the one going into extremes here.

Laughing the canon issue is being brought up again. Is this meant to be a measure of success somehow or this a personal attack on me so worth reporting to a mod?
        I don't really care about canon. I only went there because someone else brought it up. And the only one who I've noticed that came close to saying that ORC was canon, was Prime Blue. But to be honest, I'm not so sure this user was even serious.

I care more about if a game has good gameplay. Regardless if it's considered canon or not.

IMO, if ORC wasn't merely a mediocre shooter that benefited from the RE brand name, it would've never climbed the charts as high as it did. Other games have come out that are polished and better products overall, but that unfortunately lacked brand awareness or were just a new IP starting out. And so they came and went without making any memorable impact.

Another reason why I find defending ORC to be quite odd, is because it's the type of product that goes against almost everything of what a RE fan looks for in a genuine RE game.

In any case, don't take it personally. If you like ORC is perfectly fine. Just like it's fine that people think Bieber is a musical genius or that Michael Bay keeps finding work. Diversity is what humanity is all about. Something like that....

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
        Ya know...maybe the dramatic horror Capcom was talking about was really how the fans would react to the recent RE games?O.o
        Probably.
        Last edited by Pikminister; 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM.
        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
        sigpic

Comment

No, it might as well be canon. At the very least you can expect a sequel in the works since the game has done so well.

Comment

Missed this;

Fire Emblem sales dropped off 75% after first week, if you bothered to check. Guess the 4% difference between that and ORC is the difference between success and bomb right?
            Provide a source for once in your life.

If you can do that, sounds reasonable enough and I accede to it. You can avoid all these disagreements if you ever bothered to explain your reasoning and provided evidence to support it.

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
            No, it might as well be canon. At the very least you can expect a sequel in the works since the game has done so well.
            Sales figures have nothing to do with whether it is canon or not. It simply doesn't and will never fit into the series storyline, and no amount of twisting developer comments will ever change that. A sequel will most likely get made, though. It can't be anything but an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
              Missed this;

Provide a source for once in your life.

If you can do that, sounds reasonable enough and I accede to it. You can avoid all these disagreements if you ever bothered to explain your reasoning and provided evidence to support it.
              It is widely available information easily found. Anyone who doubts claims can check themselves, but just for you: Fire Emblem second week - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472546
              Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

It is widely available information easily found. Anyone who doubts claims can check themselves, but just for you: Fire Emblem second week - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472546
                Doesn't work like that, if you're going to claim something, you are meant to provide a source. Not everyone happens to have every Media Create topic on NeoGAF bookmarked. Today is a momentous occasion for you, you provided your first real source! Even though it had to be fished out of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                  Another reason why I find defending ORC to be quite odd, is because it's the type of product that goes against almost everything of what a RE fan looks for in a genuine RE game.
                  Fun goes again what RE fans want? (joke)

Most of the reasons I expected to like ORC pre-release actually failed to happen, I ended up liking it for a bunch of different reasons. I was hoping for a decent story, that did not happen and it is more like a bunch of objectives than actual story for the USS camapign (though I really like the Spc Ops campaign and feel completely different about it). I was hoping for a third person L4D in regards to campaign feel also but that never happened (but Spec Ops partly fixes it).

I'm actually enjoying the competitive MP a lot more than I though I would, it has balance problems like most games but still a load of fun, and I find myself grouped with friends more than I though I would and this is of course more fun. I expected it to play like SOCOM also but the game is so much more fluid.

The game is also rather unique in feel also, there really are not many games where you get two teams fight eachother while AI monsters run about trying to kill the teams.

Not everyone happens to have every Media Create topic on NeoGAF bookmarked.

Comment

This game is so full of canon it hurts. Part of me wishes the Leon dead ending to be the correct one of the lot, but alas we have half the U.S.S. to thank for more Leon and Claire games. Now we have to see how Spec Ops will fit to the rest of the timeline.

Comment

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5018/powerofgoogle.png
                      So what you're saying is you were too lazy to post a link to a widely available source other people wouldn't know to look for? Point taken! If only you were as good at finding sources on your own when it comes to just about anything else.

This game is so full of canon it hurts. Part of me wishes the Leon dead ending to be the correct one of the lot, but alas we have half the U.S.S. to thank for more Leon and Claire games. Now we have to see how Spec Ops will fit to the rest of the timeline.
                      Ohhhh.
                      Last edited by News Bot; 05-09-2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

If people cannot find a easily available source it is often lost on them anyway. Not every claim needs a source posted. If I claim there are two versions of the clocktower Nemesis fight I'm not gonna go digging out videos for it, if someone doubts they are fully capable of checking that doubt themselves.

Comment

If people cannot find a easily available source it is often lost on them anyway. Not every claim needs a source posted. If I claim there are two versions of the clocktower Nemesis fight I'm not gonna go digging out videos for it, if someone doubts they are fully capable of checking that doubt themselves.
                          Sources are fundamental to information, and pretty vital when you're trying to prove something. I suppose a Wikipedia article shouldn't provide sources because they're easily available? Come to think of it, all those sources in medical journals are just a waste of good trees... Who needs historical sources either? We can just dig them out of the past. I can understand that excuse you just used: you generally don't have any sources to provide in 90% of the discussions you get into.
                          Last edited by News Bot; 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
                            Well, officially to Capcom they matched units sold to targets as Dracarys comments informed. I don't know if thats really a sucess though on the basis of things, I'd determine that more on if Capcom ever gets requests for more units to be shipped. I mean had the thing been an actual smashing success Capcom would have probably sold through that 2 million units and be well onto more already. Instead the sales numbers independently done are still ranging somewhere around 1.5 million units worldwide including the 300,000 in Japan as I'd expected in my earlier post. That means out there is somewhere near 500,000 units for people to buy. And the market is going to be diluted soon with the PC version as well, which never factors into that original 2 million units.

I don't hold any beef on ORC really, I played it and found it fun for a short while... but a sequel would really need more time and work done on it to succeed. I still stand by my original comment personally that a sequel in the same form is highly unlikely and Capcom will more likey just made another different type of spin off again down the track. Just seems far more plausable given what I could only describe as a real lukewarm crticial and commercial response to ORC.

Comment

Sources are fundamental to information, and pretty vital when you're trying to prove something. I suppose a Wikipedia article shouldn't provide sources because they're easily available? Come to think of it, all those sources in medical journals are just a waste of good trees... Who needs historical sources either? We can just dig them out of the past.

Because testing something medically or researching historical texts or digging them up from the ground is the same as searching a video on youtube, obviously. Do you know what a strawman argument is?
                              Last edited by Dracarys; 05-09-2012, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Because testing something medically or researching historical texts or digging them up from the ground is the same as searching a video on youtube, obviously. Do you know what a strawman argument is?
                                I'm well aware of what it is considering you use it a lot. Don't skirt around the issue. If you want to be taken seriously, particularly when it comes to numbers, provide sources. Simple as that.

Comment

Working...
                                X