Nintendo finally going online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo finally going online?

Here's a pleasant surprise: the Wii U looks like it's going to have a proper online community built into the console. In a video shown during a pre-E3 conference, a user on the console jumps onto the controller and consults a GameFAQs-like service, while at the same his friend is monitoring Tweet-like messages on his…

--

Well, better late than never. A real shame that Nintendo chose to ignore the internet almost completely the last..what, decade?

They've got a lot of wonderful franchises that could have really benefited from online co-op. Smash bros, Zelda 4 swords team battles, etc.

Heres hoping that they don't fail and can put out some good games...preferably some survival horror. Nintendo could really use some good survival horror.

In the Nintendo Direct video (I just watched it), yeah. They discussed a bunch of the stuff. The tablet can be used as a messaging system (i.e. the PS360), both for text and drawn messages, you can video chat with people, you can browse the net, you have friends lists, etc.

Glad to see Nintendo finally embracing it.

Comment

I think the intriguing part is that you can directly get involved with WiiU activities outside the WiiU with smartphones and the PC. Not sure if this is a first for the Big N to get heavily involved with anything major outside their own machines but it might the plants the seed for something major to come.

Comment

...For those who missed the Pre-E3 Nintendo Direct video.

I can say now that I'm pretty excited for 'Nintendo's Conference'.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
          ...A real shame that Nintendo chose to ignore the internet almost completely the last..what, decade?....They've got a lot of wonderful franchises that could have really benefited from online co-op. Smash bros, Zelda 4 swords team battles, etc.
          Dude, Smash Bros Brawl for Wii was an online game. Zelda 4 Swords has offline co-op on 3DS.

And you never played Mario Kart Wii? It's only one of their biggest selling co-op/online game in the last deca... ever. Mario Kart 7 for 3DS also supports online/co-op play.

But it's safe to say that with the 3DS and especially the Wii U, Nintendo is going to try and show that they take online gaming more seriously. 'bout time.
          Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
          sigpic

Comment

No friend codes this time, please.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

^ In all fairness, I wouldn't count Brawl's online. It was horrible to the point of literally unplayable. And MKWii is full of glitchers. But yeah, they haven't ignored it, just... gimped the shit out of it.

Comment

3DS needs a messaging system, is too much work trying to play with people currently.
                Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

They mentioned that the 3DS will be getting the same messaging system as the Wii U post-launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
                    ^ In all fairness, I wouldn't count Brawl's online. It was horrible to the point of literally unplayable. And MKWii is full of glitchers. But yeah, they haven't ignored it, just... gimped the shit out of it.
                    I dunno about that. Those two games became evergreen titles that sold well for many years. Even showing up on the top 10 sales charts years after they were released. If the games were that unplayable, they wouldn't have had those long sexy legs for so many years.

I played Mario Kart Wiii a lot a couple of years back. Never had any problems with glitches or anything of the sort. Maybe ppl had a prob w/hackers cheating but not with glitches.

No friend codes this time, please.
                    Friend codes stopped being necessary for online gaming since 2008. Barely any Ninty games forces their use since then. That's why I find posting my 3DS's FC to play online games, pretty useless. I can play with a lot of people without the need of FC's.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                      Friend codes stopped being necessary for online gaming since 2008. Barely any Ninty games forces their use since then. That's why I find posting my 3DS's FC to play online games, pretty useless. I can play with a lot of people without the need of FC's.
                      True, still I think Nintendo should go XBL/PSN with a unique account for all their platforms, makes things way easier.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Originally posted by Beanovsky Durst View Post
                        True, still I think Nintendo should go XBL/PSN with a unique account for all their platforms, makes things way easier.
                        Doubt it, but I agree.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                          I played Mario Kart Wiii a lot a couple of years back. Never had any problems with glitches or anything of the sort. Maybe ppl had a prob w/hackers cheating but not with glitches.
                          Hence why I said glitchers, not glitches.
                          Last edited by Canas Renvall; 06-04-2012, 10:50 PM.

Comment

But glitchers use glitches, otherwise they hackers using hacks.
                            Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

Fair enough, I just use glitchers as a general term for either one. Technically it would be hackers/cheaters.

Comment

Working...
                              X