Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some cool 1.5 exclusive screenshots (**As seen on TV!**)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hideki Kamiya says:

“I messed up in a big way, As a result of saying okay to everything that came up, it turned out horrible. We had to scrap what we had spent a year and a half making.”

“So everything that didn’t work out was my fault as director. Resident Evil 2 was receiving attention as one of Capcom’s new big titles, so the news quickly spread throughout the company. I felt like people were staring at me in the company cafeteria and saying, “That’s him! That’s the guy who ruined Resident Evil 2!” It was a shock, and very hard.”

See more at: http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-n....5HlDtcYc.dpuf
    Last edited by Italoxorn; 08-13-2013, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• People should start reading Iwata Asks - Still the best place for great and personal interviews with key figures in video game development.

Those lines are from the third part of the latest Iwata Asks with Kamiya, about the the upcoming Wonderful 101 on WiiU;
      Meeting Mikami-san

Comment

• Originally posted by Renard View Post
        I just realized how close September is, hope they release something like a trial or preview around that time as well.

Where the hell did summer go?
        Every time I come here I find myself staring at your sig for minutes haha

Comment

• I guess he considers 1.5 a personal demon for some stupid reason.
          Now you know why he gets pissed if you mention it on twitter.
          I understand where hes coming from but 1.5 isn't some evil demon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkness View Post
            I guess he considers 1.5 a personal demon for some stupid reason.
            Now you know why he gets pissed if you mention it on twitter.
            I understand where hes coming from but 1.5 isn't some evil demon.
            Just a bad game. ;D
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by News Bot View Post
              Just a bad game. ;D
              Probably. but it was never completed. So its not fair to really compare
              I bet the one coming will be a great game though...

Comment

• Conceptually though, the game was pretty bland, you have to admit. It's understandable that the decisions made for retail RE2 were made to give the game some color and life. I think them sticking to realism as a pillar of the development cycle hindered them in the end, since, and especially for the areas they chose (police department, factory, streets, sewers and so on), are pretty bland and life less places in real life.

Comment

• Might be some kind of a ghost from the past for Kamiya, something that reminds him his inexperience and all his wrong decisions back in 1997. I can undertand him, it´s like if you want to leave in the past what you consider your worst work ever made and people keep trying to make you remember year after year.

He in fact describes 1.5 as "horrible", while many RE fans think that actually it could have been even a good game.
                  The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

• nah, hes just talking about an age where they had high standards for a game, standard that does not exist anymore when we speak about Resident Evil.

Comment

• Sure, I think he took it personal and saw 1.5 as the worst shit in the world, and saw himself as the only responsible for that, but it´s not like a lot of retail games that actually saw the light are far worse than that.
                      Last edited by Lanzagranadas; 08-14-2013, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• It's funny because Mikami himself claimed the game could have sold pretty well, despite it going against canon events causing paradoxes everywhere Claire is involved. The other kinda big oxymoron comes from the fact that later CAPCOM games recycled most of the 1.5 ideas (and some assets) in a way or another. Let's be honest: 1.5 was quite innovative for the time, but it almost seems like it was shrunk down à la "Pokémon Syndrome", which is a development condition where a softhouse omits features on purpose so that the following titles still have something "new" to show.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                        , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• 1.5 would have been quite a good game if they finished it, it could have a crappy plot, inferior graphic quality than retail, monotonous background design and other issues. But the level of expectation and quality standards at that time went too high, and Kamiya´s self-demanding seemed to get too high as well.

IMO they made the right move, I think RE2 is amazing as what it is, but I dare to say that a finished 1.5 would have been, at least, easily better and more enjoyable than games like REORC and the GS series.
                          Last edited by Lanzagranadas; 08-14-2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• I wouldn't really consider RE2 to be that great in regard to graphics technology. From what I could remember of 1998, most games released more or less in the same period had better ways of handling the PlayStation hardware (Parasite Eve comes to my mind). Technologically speaking, RE2 is way too similar to RE1, with barely any real improvement, other than more refined models and better animations. This is probably some sort of 1.5 heritage issue in the engine, with CAPCOM going by whatever limits the code originally suffered (then again, Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy VIII stem from the same engine that powered FFVII, so it could have been CAPCOM doing a lazy job and not caring throughout the whole development process). To make this clearer: I'm sure retail could be achieved almost perfectly even by using the 1996-1997 engine as base, because there's almost no difference in how things are handled on the hardware side, meaning retail is no way technologically "superior" to what 1.5 could have been.
                            Last edited by Gemini; 08-14-2013, 03:34 PM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                            , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

• Both Kamiya and Mikami said that 1.5 could've sold well... but it simply wasn't up to a standard they were happy with. Or rather, a standard anyone was happy with considering nobody on the development team has ever made an overtly positive statement about it; contrary to the scrapped versions of BH4 (one of which just had its story changed and became a whole different series).
                              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

• Originally posted by doriantoki View Post
                                Conceptually though, the game was pretty bland, you have to admit. It's understandable that the decisions made for retail RE2 were made to give the game some color and life. I think them sticking to realism as a pillar of the development cycle hindered them in the end, since, and especially for the areas they chose (police department, factory, streets, sewers and so on), are pretty bland and life less places in real life.
                                You hit it right on the nose. RE 1.5 had a boring station compared to retail, if 1.5's station had been final it would not have been different from the boring apartment environments that Silent Hill loved to use. Give me an interesting environment over those boring and stale places anyday.

Comment

Working...
                                X