Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some cool 1.5 exclusive screenshots (**As seen on TV!**)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rick Hunter View Post
    Ok, so what would that be? They are recreating the stairs that connect the different floors of the RPD? Some time ago I read that when you opened a door leading to those stairs, you'd just teleport to the next floor, that's right?

If that's legit, and if they can really create whole new rooms, the potential is really great. It means they could really be filling the gaps and allow the game to be played from the beginning to the end.
    If that's the case, I'm all up for waiting a bit more for them to finish. Seems they can really do some good work with custom BG if that's the case.
    Zombies...zombies everywhere...

Comment

• amazing stuff.....

As a modder myself, i always stumbled across the problem with walking BEHIND STUFF, that is some prerendered stuff should be before the character. I wonder do they implement this too? this is insanely hard... or perhaps impossible?

anyway, very nice stuff

EDIT, anyone else noticed "Door: 1.5"?
      Last edited by Marvin; 10-09-2012, 06:40 AM.
      ja i am made of dur butter and you are worth 2k monies

Comment

• i love those renders!

Comment

• Originally posted by Marvin View Post
          amazing stuff.....

As a modder myself, i always stumbled across the problem with walking BEHIND STUFF, that is some prerendered stuff should be before the character. I wonder do they implement this too? this is insanely hard... or perhaps impossible?

anyway, very nice stuff

Maybe 1 means the first floor and 5 the door number 5.

Originally posted by biohazard_star View Post
          Gemini pointed out that they're missing the usual 16-bit look (the JPEG artifact-ish compression) you get from the extracted backgrounds from the game. It's possible that these are indeed custom renders, meant to fill in some missing rooms. Aside from the lack of compression, there are actually a few more things that are "off". Although, you have to remember, this hacking group does indeed have a track record for releasing "funny stuff" for people to discuss. Anyway, official or not, what it does prove is that with only the blurry bioflames media to go by, it's very possible for someone with enough skill to make entirely convincing recreations that are indistinguishable from the real thing.
          Unless they have the original source for the backgrounds.

Comment

• Unless they have the original source for the backgrounds.
            That seems unlikely considering how every RE beta that has been made publicly available and explored to death doesn't have the original non-compressed renders on them. That, and if this really isn't just a faithful reproduction, then the typewriter should actually have about 6 more keys per row. The devs reused the typewriter model from RE1 in both RE2 and RE3. From top to bottom, the typewriter should have 11-12-12-12 keys per row. There are some other things that are off, but the typewriter is what makes me believe it isn't official. And assuming that is what it really is, then props to their modeler; he/she really got the RE style nailed. I'm now convinced that the recreations they'll make for the missing areas will blend right in with the rest of the official stuff.
            Seibu teh geimu?
            ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Marvin View Post
              Technically, you do not need another visible pre-rendered layer to allow characters to walk behind things. You can add an invisible filter layer over the character-model's layer, which would essentially make the character partially (or wholly) invisible when he is being blocked by an object in the foreground (though the object in question is really illustrated on the background file). Thus, what you're really doing is selectively and partially erasing or "filtering" the 3D-polygonal characters (and sometimes objects) to allow certain elements of the background to be superimposed on them.

**I am not sure if this is how it was done for the retail Resident Evil games, but this is how I envision it happening, especially since all of the background files contain both background and foreground elements flattened together.**

Originally posted by Marvin View Post
              EDIT: Yep, that always made the image stand out to me.
              Last edited by Enigmatism415; 10-09-2012, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• another visible pre-rendered layer to allow characters to walk behind things.
                This is what they make use of in the RE games. They're called ADT mask, iirc. They're especially noticeable in the RE3 PC port, since Capcom didn't bother replacing them to match the higher resolution backgrounds.
                Seibu teh geimu?
                ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
                  **I am not sure if this is how it was done for the retail Resident Evil games, but this is how I envision it happening, especially since all of the background files contain both background and foreground elements flattened together.**
                  RE1-3 uses layered objects/cut-outs. You can view these in various programs, but modders (so far, anyway) haven't really been able to replicate them properly.

Comment

• ADT masks are like little jigsaw pieces that are placed together to make a FG layer. They're not one single layer that's placed over the top of the BG layer, but are actually individual pieces drawn on the 3D plain. If you use a walk through walls code, or use the walk trough walls glitch in beta 2, you can get a really good idea of how they work. As the 3D model passes through the ADT masks you can see that the two dimensional image is layered in three dimensions, each individual piece having its own position on a given axis. It's really quite clever how it's been done and is probably more complicated than it needed to be, but you can see just why it's so difficult to reproduce.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                      RE1-3 uses layered objects/cut-outs. You can view these in various programs, but modders (so far, anyway) haven't really been able to replicate them properly.
                      It`s a pain in the ass but possible and RE: Distant Memories will prove that. The problem is that you can`t really manipulate the exact coords where it will be drawn, so you have to keep the placement of overlaying objects in a new custom room very similar to use the effect. Trust me it`s do able, it`s just really annoying and not totally discovered but the reason this has not been seen yet is that there are not really much mods using total new enviroments/rooms.. Also most guys don`t bother because it`s, like already said very time consuming...or they just don`t know how to do it at all.. Or it just does not work out, like in Dark Biohazard 1.5 rooms mods.. Where boundaries, cam angles etc are partially heavily modded while the mask can`t be modded in the same extent (yet)

About the new renders, like Gemini has stated.. They totally lack the 16 bit dithering, which is proof enough to be non-legit stuff.. You would only have such "high quality" renders without those artifacts when you would obtain the source material from the developers..
                      There are other small issues that were mentioned.. The different typewriter model, which simply makes no sense.. Because if it was jsut though of as a placeholder etc.. they (capcom) would have used the same model they have always been using from RE1-3 instead of taking or even creating something else.. The trash bags look way too detailed.. As a background modeller myself.. I have looked at thousands of Capcom`s renders and those 4 simply do not fit.. They give me a feeling of not being from 1997...

Whoever did this.. they did a great job..
                      Last edited by TheMortician; 10-09-2012, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by geluda View Post
                        each individual piece having its own position on a given axis. It's really quite clever how it's been done and is probably more complicated than it needed to be, but you can see just why it's so difficult to reproduce.
                        That's kinda how layering typically works, when you're not dealing with simple priority layers ala. photoshop and such ;D

And, no, it's not more complicated than they needed to be. They're pretty much done about as simple as they could've been (only alternative would've been a simple mask that does not contain graphical data, but for technicaly reasons that doesn't blend too well with how the game engine itself uses video frames as background images... same reason why Fear Effect doesn't do layering on any of its animated backgrounds.)

Comment

• Thanks everyone for the insight, I understand how it works now.

That being said, would my idea not work as a (perhaps temporary) shortcut? Simply make specific sections of the polygons invisible with a single filter-layer, carefully crafted to overlap precisely with the foreground objects (to allow the foreground elements flattened on the background image to rise to the surface).

---

As I was saying earlier, of course those images are not Capcom originals, but whoever made them has access to information that we don't (as of yet). If this source is legitimate, then we can make huge leaps and bounds in mapping the basement. This proves that Black~Crow's theory of a two-tiered basement is correct, and after looking at his B1 and B2 maps, they seem very convincing. There is one important correction that I've made though (of course it is only speculative, but an educated guess none the less):

Original, Modification
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	B2_kennel_original.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	401739 Click image for larger version

Name:	B2_kennel_mod.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	401740

My modification provides the correct number of Kennel cells and is also more faithful to the RPD's perimeter, and the size of the cells themselves.
                          Last edited by Enigmatism415; 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• they are clearly new renders and not legit 1.5 backgrounds

but why someone that uses the nickname "re 1.5 will be leaked" should release material that is... not from the original 1.5 ? it makes no sense

apart from this, they recreated everything from scratch,it's really impressive.

Comment

• Originally posted by warren View Post
                              but why someone that uses the nickname "re 1.5 will be leaked" should release material that is... not from the original 1.5 ?
                              My guess is that this person would rather give us information than actual assets at the moment.

Comment

• they are clearly new renders and not legit 1.5 backgrounds

but why someone that uses the nickname "re 1.5 will be leaked" should release material that is... not from the original 1.5 ? it makes no sense

apart from this, they recreated everything from scratch,it's really impressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X