No announcement yet.

Breaking Bad Discussion **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several years ago, I had a choice to make.

In one hand, was Dexter, who I came to know and love through 4 seasons of epic drama and story-telling. On the other hand, was Breaking Bad, which aired in the same time frame, but had equally impressive story-telling. Dexter was dark and familiar, whereas Breaking Bad was raw and shameless.

Confident that Breaking Bad was heading toward a multi-season arc after the first, I made the choice to stick with Dexter, unwilling to get involved in another television drama.

I made the wrong choice.

Sometime within the past year or so, I made a post on this forum about a song that I was listening to - Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" - when someone replied to my comment with something to the effect of "I remember that from Breaking Bad". I had no clue what that person was talking about, had only assumed the song was featured somewhere in the Breaking Bad story line.

I have since purchased and binge-watched every season of Breaking Bad on DVD (that was a very intense week!). I laughed at the black humor, cried with Walt's character when he made the choices he had to make in order to survive, and felt that my purchase was very well justified.

In the words of Ol' Dirty Bastard, 'Ohh, baby, I like it raw'.

This show has everything I'd ever come to expect from sensational, quality television, and then some. The acting is superb and very well deserving of it's many awards. The characters are convincing, the story is interesting and the emotions I get from watching leave me fiending for another fix like a junkie. Somehow, I always manage to be surprised, even if I'm pretty certain that I know what's going to happen.

As for Dexter, what a monumental let-down. I get 'it' - Dexter went from monster to human... but, the producers/writers flat-out said they don't care about the fans, so fuck 'em.

I am both happy and sad to be a part of Breaking Bad fandom, even more melancholy to see it go... but, as it was best said, "All bad things must come to an end."

That said, I'm still wishing for Walter White to succeed. No matter what, no matter how many people have to die, he deserves his goddamned victory... not sure what that says about me, or society for that matter, but I stand by his character.
    Last edited by MeganGrass; 09-14-2013, 09:08 PM.
    I'm a blackstar.

Comment

I think something was wrong with Dexter (the show) behind the scenes and not just the writers. They seemed a rather unprofessional bunch compared to Breaking Bad..

This image explains all... "did he lie 2.0" rofl, an apt name for Dexter's CSI-like computer programs

Comment

wow, did you guys get to see last night's episode yet?

Comment

Yes, it was f***ing awesome. Just keeps rolling on..

Spoiler:

Comment

Haha, Ghost Gale.

I feel sorry for Jesse, sure he was annoying, stupid and half the times him and Walt had a problem it'd be his fault, but becoming a slave for the neo-nazis is fucked up. And man, they do try to make you cheer for Walter even after all he's done, like, he's begging them to spare Hank he's not a bad pers- Oh wait, he is.

Comment

"Did he lie ver.2.0"... haha, wow. Pure gold.

Yeah, seeing the 'one-click haxx0r', aka, hack.exe in a television show is especially annoying as hell. The producers of such nonsense are total morons if they expect people to actually believe that lame crap.

Jesse... well... bad things always happen to good people, and I do believe this shows captures that harsh truth very well. It's pretty extreme, in his case, but still just a fucked up fact of life.

Walter White is far beyond redemption. There's nothing he or anyone else can do for him to be redeemed, and it's been that way since season one. After all, he said it best: "If there's a hell, I'm pretty much going there." - at least he admits it.

Yes, he is a horrendous human-fucking-being, a true monster... but still, he deserves his victory. I didn't fall in love with Walter White, hoping that he'd someday be nominated for a Nobel Peace prize.

...and the downward spiral continues.
              I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                Yeah, seeing the 'one-click haxx0r', aka, hack.exe in a television show is especially annoying as hell. The producers of such nonsense are total morons if they expect people to actually believe that lame crap.
                I see what you mean.. that two-way trojan on Vogel's laptop retroactively destroyed the previous seasons.

I came across this Breaking Bad Gomez tribute image the over day, it made me laugh.. hard.. while also simultaneously invoking feelings of immense sadness. Amazing work. Rofl

Poor Gomie!

Oh, I think Walter will still try to redeem himself before being killed by "something". It can really go many ways, too much damn symbolism (in a good way, not Prometheus-like BS) in that last episode.. I see faces in everything... hard to predict what exactly is going to happen. Nothing will beat that last episode though IMO.

Comment

Quick rant on Dexter, being that it's been mentioned (Spoilers ahead):

Spoiler:

Kind of got distracted there, but there's my opinion on it, I use to be a big fan but this Season really feels like a let down for me. As for Breaking Bad:

I got to say, this season is getting more intense by the second. It's strange when you compare the Walter from the very first season to now, as mentioned in an interview, he's gone from geeky father to Scarface. I'm kind of expecting the "Say Hello to my Little Friend!" line, haha. Last episode was crazy though, totally a great cliffhanger for the next two episodes, I heard they're going to be longer.

Also, they're going to auction all of the props from the show.

Comment

lol at that gomie picture!
                    i'm just gonna get into this spoiler here lol:

Spoiler:

Comment

Oh wow, what an episode and what a setup to the final episode.

Spoiler:

Breaking Bad also won an Emmy in Best Drama

Comment

Wow, the ending of Dexter was complete shit.

Breaking Bad is shaping up to be amazing though. The theme playing at the end of the last episode, god. Just amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by alexdz View Post
                          Wow, the ending of Dexter was complete shit.
                          I respectfully disagree, sir.

I'll be the first to admit that I was fairly disgusted with this season... but the final episode totally redeemed it, Dexter and the series as a whole. Also, the visuals and music were astounding.

Everything that led to the final moments have been building up since the very first season, it's just sad to see that fellow fans failed to see that.

Dexter arguably deserved the humanity he sought after, and the only sensible solution is self-imposed seclusion, isolation. After all, Dexter said himself, "I live my life in hiding" at the end of the first season. He yearned for true humanity, something that he thought was unattainable... and yet he finally realized that perhaps the only thing human about him is wanting to protect the ones he loved. Added to the long-past revelation that he is a psuedo-psychotic monster, it only makes sense to disappear.

Furthermore, the realization that he can't truly deal with having a conscience ("All my life, I've wanted to feel what other people feel, but now that I do, all I want is for it to stop") only fueled his decision to leave Miami behind.

He finally received the thing he sought after the most.
                          I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                            I respectfully disagree, sir.

I'll be the first to admit that I was fairly disgusted with this season... but the final episode totally redeemed it, Dexter and the series as a whole. Also, the visuals and music were astounding.

Everything that led to the final moments have been building up since the very first season, it's just sad to see that fellow fans failed to see that.

Dexter arguably deserved the humanity he sought after, and the only sensible solution is self-imposed seclusion, isolation. After all, Dexter said himself, "I live my life in hiding" at the end of the first season. He yearned for true humanity, something that he thought was unattainable... and yet he finally realized that perhaps the only thing human about him is wanting to protect the ones he loved. Added to the long-past revelation that he is a psuedo-psychotic monster, it only makes sense to disappear.

Furthermore, the realization that he can't truly deal with having a conscience ("All my life, I've wanted to feel what other people feel, but now that I do, all I want is for it to stop") only fueled his decision to leave Miami behind.

He finally received the thing he sought after the most.
                            I was about to post a similar thing well said. Nothing could save the season, but the ending, knowing it will turn out like that whenever you see a Dexter repeat or whatever, saves the series IMO. It also opens the door to either a darker new series with a new actor (pretty sure Michael Hall don't want to do it anymore), or some other sort of spin off.. "Dark Dexter" would be nice

Though I'm pretty sure one reason Dexter turned out as it did was because of some idiots being influenced by the first few seasons (I vaguely recall Michael Hall mentioning something like that). He maybe didn't want his career heading in such a direction, which kinda makes me understand his bad acting a little more

As for the finale itself, the storm coming in was pretty nice visually, though most of the story elements and characters matched the rest of the season, the ending made up for it.

As for Breaking Bad I'd really love to see a Scarface ending with just all out mayhem haha. Walt could use his own product for the first time (I don't think he's tried it?) to make him go just psycho with that M60. Perhaps it will end how it started with Walt staring down the barrel while cops arrive, with his drug money all around him lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
                              Perhaps it will end how it started with Walt staring down the barrel while cops arrive, with his drug money all around him lol.
                              Oh god, another Sopranos.

Comment

Originally posted by alexdz View Post
                                Oh god, another Sopranos.
                                I never watched the Sopranos The "wrap around" ending would be a little predictable.. which is not Breaking Bad's style at all. I think Vince said all loose ends will be dealt with... there's also an alternate ending on the bluray (possibly a comedic one?).

IIRC, Walt's father died on a hospital bed from some illness and he told that story to Walt Jr, wonder if that means anything.. It'll be interesting to see how Walt uses the ricin, will he use it on Jesse after "rescuing him"? The same way you would kill any other rat.. with poison..

Comment

Working...
                                X