Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Resident Evil 6 - Public Demo now available on PSN and LIVE

  1. #21
    Cunt Agent
    News Bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Belfast, Ireland
    Posts
    6,098

    Default

    I've said it before, but dammit, I'll say it again. The cover system should just go. It is completely useless and utterly cumbersome.
    PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

  2. #22
    #15 Bandersnatch Joey3264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    216

    Default

    i just learned the full game will have split-screen.. thank god

  3. #23
    The Zombie Genocider Beanovsky Durst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    2,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joey3264 View Post
    i just learned the full game will have split-screen.. thank god
    That's good news indeed! Now I hope that Capcom doesn't screw it by using RE5's splitscreen...

    "I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

  4. #24
    #15 Bandersnatch Joey3264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    216

    Default

    unfortunately it will have RE5's split-screen

    but it wont bother me that much because I have a very big TV screen
    but after watching this now im worried sharing items might be a hassle (i hope not)

  5. #25
    The Zombie Genocider Beanovsky Durst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    2,140

    Default

    Oh... That sucks. Oh well it's better having a bizarre split screen than nothing at all (ORC I'm looking at you ).

  6. #26
    THIA Staff

    Carnivol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Confirmed
    Posts
    4,843

    Default

    What's so "bizarre" about the type of split-screen Capcom does?
    I'd like to see some suggestions to how they should "fix/change" it ;D

  7. #27
    The Zombie Genocider Beanovsky Durst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    2,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivol View Post
    What's so "bizarre" about the type of split-screen Capcom does?
    I'd like to see some suggestions to how they should "fix/change" it ;D
    To keep it simple, with Resident Evil, Capcom does this:

    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:


    I don't know why they chose this layout, but I'm pretty sure it's going to give you eyesores if you don't have a big screen... There's so much wasted space that could be used for a better FOV.

    Now let's see how other co-op games handle splitscreen:

    Gears of War:

    Spoiler:


    Splinter Cell: Conviction
    Spoiler:


    Borderlands:
    Spoiler:


    Kane & Lynch 2:

    Spoiler:


    Those use a bigger area for each player, either horizontal or vertical work... I can't see why RE can't benefit of having a different splitscreen layout.

    "I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

  8. #28
    THIA Staff

    Carnivol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Confirmed
    Posts
    4,843

    Default

    Hey! At least a meaty post and not just a "USE THE FULLS CREEN!!!" cry ;D (I really was fishing for that)

    Anyway;
    What Capcom's method does is;
    -Maintains screen size/aspect ratio
    (So you're still seeing the exact same thing as before; no cropping)
    -Requires less from the hardware
    (Keep in mind that you're rendering two scenes at the same time here and just see how the PS3 versions of the MT-Framework games perform in splitscreen contra 360 builds)
    -Not require all cutscenes to also add FOV changes into its direction.
    (Again, seeing the exact same thing as before, no undesirable side effects of either expanded FOV or need for pan&scan)


    In general, with how Capcom rarely "announces/reveals" split-screen co-op early in production, it almost always seems like it's something they shoehorn in at the last minute "if it still works" (especially with how they commented on it during Lost Planet 2 and Resident Evil 5 production)

    Also, none of the above mentioned samples do what Capcom's games does in terms of cutscenes (in-game, realtime, different cinematic direction per player, etc.) and only the two platform exclusives (Gears of War and Splinter Cell) carries a comparable level of detail and overall polish (but I'd dare to argue that neither are as visually intense as RE5 and Lost Planet 2 "can be." - and certainly not while maintaining the same level of performance.)


    Either way; bottom line is that on Capcom's end, it'd require more than them just adjusting a slider to increase the FOV. Of course, they could probably "easily" achieve the performance by dropping the resolution (even further) and throwing effects out the window left 'n' right in split-screen ... but ... well ... that's not a complete fix either.

  9. #29
    The Zombie Genocider Beanovsky Durst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    2,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivol View Post
    Hey! At least a meaty post and not just a "USE THE FULLS CREEN!!!" cry ;D (I really was fishing for that)

    Anyway;
    What Capcom's method does is;
    -Maintains screen size/aspect ratio
    (So you're still seeing the exact same thing as before; no cropping)
    -Requires less from the hardware
    (Keep in mind that you're rendering two scenes at the same time here and just see how the PS3 versions of the MT-Framework games perform in splitscreen contra 360 builds)
    -Not require all cutscenes to also add FOV changes into its direction.
    (Again, seeing the exact same thing as before, no undesirable side effects of either expanded FOV or need for pan&scan)


    In general, with how Capcom rarely "announces/reveals" split-screen co-op early in production, it almost always seems like it's something they shoehorn in at the last minute "if it still works" (especially with how they commented on it during Lost Planet 2 and Resident Evil 5 production)

    Also, none of the above mentioned samples do what Capcom's games does in terms of cutscenes (in-game, realtime, different cinematic direction per player, etc.) and only the two platform exclusives (Gears of War and Splinter Cell) carries a comparable level of detail and overall polish (but I'd dare to argue that neither are as visually intense as RE5 and Lost Planet 2 "can be." - and certainly not while maintaining the same level of performance.)


    Either way; bottom line is that on Capcom's end, it'd require more than them just adjusting a slider to increase the FOV. Of course, they could probably "easily" achieve the performance by dropping the resolution (even further) and throwing effects out the window left 'n' right in split-screen ... but ... well ... that's not a complete fix either.
    Haha... Guess I dodged the bullet then.

    I always found odd the way MT-Framework's split-screen works. Now, adding the fact that it might be a performance issues, it makes even more sense.
    As I've said before, might be "wonky", but it's still better than no splitscreen at all. I know I'm asking way too much, but having some options to adjust the way splitscreen works would be nice, even if it means losing details like character specific cinemas, extra visual effects, etc. For those, online/system link coop would be a better fit.

    My point really was about the fact that there's people around the world that still use CRT TVs with splitscreen... And it's a pain to play like that on a traditional 4:3 display (one of the reasons I've had to upgrade to a HDTV).

    "I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

  10. #30
    THIA Staff

    Carnivol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Confirmed
    Posts
    4,843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanovsky Durst View Post
    My point really was about the fact that there's people around the world that still use CRT TVs with splitscreen... And it's a pain to play like that on a traditional 4:3 display (one of the reasons I've had to upgrade to a HDTV).
    Wait, what? On a traditional 4:3 CRT, the MT Framework games should display things "normally" and not slightly pulled to each side like in the HD shots. Should totally check your console's output settings then (Not that I've ever had to run these in SD myself, but in 4:3 aspect ratio,s there's no reason for them to not be alligned on top of one another.)

  11. #31
    The Zombie Genocider Beanovsky Durst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    2,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivol View Post
    Wait, what? On a traditional 4:3 CRT, the MT Framework games should display things "normally" and not slightly pulled to each side like in the HD shots. Should totally check your console's output settings then (Not that I've ever had to run these in SD myself, but in 4:3 aspect ratio,s there's no reason for them to not be alligned on top of one another.)
    It's been a while since I've played on a 4:3 CRT so I'm probably wrong and MT-F does it right...
    I did play RE5 on a SDTV back then, but when games started to be designed using HDTV as the standard I had to upgrade. Hard times trying to read most texts and subtitles in my good ol' TV.

    "I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

  12. #32
    Overly Old School
    Darkmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Far too close for anyone's comfort.
    Posts
    7,885

    Default

    RE5 does the funky screen thing on old, crappy TV's. I'm poor and it definitively does it on mine.

  13. #33
    THIA Staff

    Carnivol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Confirmed
    Posts
    4,843

    Default

    Basically, if you're playing on a 4:3 screen, the treatment in games like RE5, LP2, RE6, etc. should be (assuming your console is not set to widescreen);

    Single player: Game uses letterboxing to achieve 16:9 aspect ratio.
    Splitscreen: Game should remove vertical letterboxing and basically just stack two screens on top of of one another with "slight" horizontal letterboxing on each side (some of which will be consumed by overscan anyway) to maintain aspect ratio ... no need to shuffle things around "brutally"

    if they're not doing that ... what the heck ... that is ... silly (if they basically just maintain the vertical letterboxing AND start shuffling things around in 4:3 mode)

  14. #34
    The Zombie Genocider Beanovsky Durst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Posts
    2,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkmoon View Post
    RE5 does the funky screen thing on old, crappy TV's. I'm poor and it definitively does it on mine.
    So I wasn't that lost... Thanks Darkmoon. Oh and BTW I'm poor also LOL. Thank god for proper use of credit cards, because HDTVs are waaaaaaaaay overpriced (as everything "fancy-techy" here).

    Guess this partially proves my point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivol View Post
    if they're not doing that ... what the heck ... that is ... silly (if they basically just maintain the vertical letterboxing AND start shuffling things around in 4:3 mode)
    It's Capcom. Silly business at it's best.
    Last edited by Beanovsky Durst; 09-24-2012 at 04:25 PM.

    "I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

  15. #35
    #10 Ivy
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    preston uk
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Five was fun at first because of the novelty, but it soon wore off and it was just another third person shooter but far clunkier. Then the zombies got guns and I powered through, and never touched it again. With Six I was hoping it'd sort of balance out with the gameplay, Leon would be RE4, Chris would be RE5 and Jake would be a new and fresh experience since he's all close combat, and flashy, but I found them all to be a bit too similar to truly be different. The HUD change is nice, if a bit difficult to master, hard enough to learn one menu system let alone three, but at the end of the day it's the same mechanics but with different enemies. Leon could shoot a guy with a gun just as easily as Jake could shoot a guy without one, is what I'm getting at.

  16. #36
    #10 Ivy
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    preston uk
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beanovsky Durst View Post
    To keep it simple, with Resident Evil, Capcom does this:

    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:


    I don't know why they chose this layout, but I'm pretty sure it's going to give you eyesores if you don't have a big screen... There's so much wasted space that could be used for a better FOV.

    Now let's see how other co-op games handle splitscreen:

    Gears of War:

    Spoiler:


    Splinter Cell: Conviction
    Spoiler:


    Borderlands:
    Spoiler:


    Kane & Lynch 2:

    Spoiler:


    Those use a bigger area for each player, either horizontal or vertical work... I can't see why RE can't benefit of having a different splitscreen layout.
    true why must they mess up the slit screen keep it simple capcom

  17. #37
    #14 Drain Deimos GEORGE TREVOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Spencer Mansion
    Posts
    181

    Default

    I am so depressed with a positive open mind.....How can anyone, including Capcom pass off Leon's gameplay as 'Survival Horror' ?
    Three massive dynamics of the older games were puzzles, exploration, and interaction with your environment, all three utterly lacking in that demo. You cannot search anything for atmospheric descriptions, you cannot deviate from the dull linear path, and at no point do you need to engage any intellect beyond "duh I need to shoot dat".

    How anyone can find that one-dimensional, puzzleless, explorationless, descriptionless, linear boredom to represent an enjoyable, intelligent survival horror experiance is completely beyond me. The distinguishing thing about Leon's campaign is that it bears no relation to the older games, unless Capcom choose just to demo the sections that had none of the redeeming features of Resident Evil. The A.I of the Zombies is absolutely useless, to the point that with experienceless & poor aiming they still posed no danger to me, whilst I had my hand held with a kindagarton arrow showing me how to walk a f@@king linear path.....I aint no genius but Capcom must think me an utter moron.

    Chris & Jake's linear, Call of Duty scenarios were more of the same, and so I am very concerned as to where in the final game the developers have injected exploration, interest in interactive environments, and exploration of a level beyond primary school. Resident Evil 4 is light years ahead on all issues.
    Last edited by GEORGE TREVOR; 09-25-2012 at 12:12 PM.

  18. #38
    THIA Staff

    Carnivol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Confirmed
    Posts
    4,843

    Default

    Got the game. Played through the intro + tapped into Chris' scenario's intro after the opening segment. I'm ... surprised (positively)

  19. #39
    #14 Drain Deimos GEORGE TREVOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    The Spencer Mansion
    Posts
    181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivol View Post
    Got the game. Played through the intro + tapped into Chris' scenario's intro after the opening segment. I'm ... surprised (positively)
    Without spoilers I am very curious as to what you're positively surprised about, especially if you had any of the demo frustrations that I had......I really can't take another heart brake RE5 style.

  20. #40
    #44 Wetland Majini GuardhouseMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivol View Post
    Got the game. Played through the intro + tapped into Chris' scenario's intro after the opening segment. I'm ... surprised (positively)
    Oh you GameStop motherfucker! I guess I'm at war with Norway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •