No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 6 Shipment, Site Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviews dont really seem to matter anymore, not sure if they ever did to be honest...I mean yeah,way back when in the Nes/Genesis days, but now where anyone can be a reviewer?

Comment

To you and I maybe, but sadly in the world outside of online fanbases they unfortunately matter more than ever.

Last week in fact I was reading an article about a firm that was setup that tracks user reactions against reviews. It was all fairly dry stuff, but the scary point they showed with examples was games on Metacritic where scores of 90+ tend to go hand and hand with higher sales but not just in the obvious ways. The tests based on select info provided and copies to test subjects split into groups where they had no review and then played, positive reviews and then played, negative reviews and then played. Those who had no reviews gave an average mark, those with positive gave positive, those with negative gave negative. And asked each of them if they would buy it. The higher the review score they personally gave, the more chance it they would buy it of course. But in the end it was the same game. Showing that any sort of outside opinion may indeed shape peoples final resolve.

So they've been selling this marketing and platform data to other companies to "improve" sell through. I can easily see companies like EA, Activision, Capcom, Take2 and others buying into this quite a bit. Hell it's exactly why the whole GameSpot/Jeff Gerstman/Kane and Lynch-SquareEnix thing happened, trying to buy more positive coverage and reviews to improve chances of sales.

I honestly don't find it that hard to believe, I see simular pack mentality on the net. Once more than a few people get together and say something is crap or good, they're more likely to swing more people around than those who disagree. People online also tend to have favourite reviewers or sites, or people they're more likely to listen to and believe as if the reviewer is a trusted "friend" providing word of mouth assurance. I think this expands beyond the net, and might people who watch maybe G4 or read certain magazines, or just talk to the guy at the video store or their local game shop for their opinion. I don't like this anymore than you seemingly do as well, but it's a sad truth.
      Last edited by Rombie; 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X