Resident Evil 6 First Week Sales in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
    You'll have to forgive my aggressively trying to point out that this game 'fails to meet expectations' and butting heads with Newsbot.
    In general that's fine but I just don't see why you'd waste the energy if you really hate it so much. It's one thing to come in and say why you hate it and what you think can be done to fix it, but to continue to press various reasons onto others rather than just letting the have a different opinion? Especially when they know how you feel. But whatever man. Just still doesn't make sense to me but if that's how you feel who am I to question further.

I do have to say even if you do still hate the whole thing though, 80 mins in Chris' game when the whole thing is 30 or so hours is a bad way to make an overall judgement. I hated the game when I first played it but after a few hours the more I played I enjoyed it more. As I said in Gene's review topic it's not a great game on game specific merits but even if I disliked it being a fan of the franchise I would have at least finished it. That seems fair. If it was a new game franchise or your first experience the quitting after 80 mins I could understand. But if you have hope for what can be done in the future and you actually care about the franchise the you might find in playing the whole thing there is actually a few cool things in it. Because I did.
    Last edited by Rombie; 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
      Talos over the top design was pretty bad, but wasn't it also hooked up to the some giant batteries or something? I cant recall, I remember the cables, claws and rocket launchers and outside the room you fought it in, it was otherwise pretty limited in terms of mobility.

So does not being a huge fan invalidate the Red Queen computer from Andersons films being cannon now? I actually am curious on your opinion on this.
      Your opinion on it literally has no effect on whether it's canon or not. And "RED QUEEN" in Umbrella Chronicles is very different from the one in the Anderson movies. Artificial intelligence isn't exactly ground-breaking in fiction and it fit into the storyline fine.
      Last edited by News Bot; 10-21-2012, 09:51 PM.
      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
        In general that's fine but I just don't see why you'd waste the energy if you really hate it so much. It's one thing to come in and say why you hate it and what you think can be done to fix it, but to continue to press various reasons onto others rather than just letting the have a different opinion? Especially when they know how you feel. But whatever man. Just still doesn't make sense to me but if that's how you feel who am I to question further.

I do have to say even if you do still hate the whole thing though, 80 mins in Chris' game when the whole thing is 30 or so hours is a bad way to make an overall judgement. I hated the game when I first played it but after a few hours the more I played I enjoyed it more. As I said in Gene's review topic it's not a great game on game specific merits but even if I disliked it being a fan of the franchise I would have at least finished it. That seems fair. If it was a new game franchise or your first experience the quitting after 80 mins I could understand. But if you have hope for what can be done in the future and you actually care about the franchise the you might find in playing the whole thing there is actually a few cool things in it. Because I did.
        I got my fill pretty fast dude. I watched a friend play and finish off Leons campaign later on and was glad I stopped playing Chris's when I did. It just wasnt fun to play, and watching it being played wasnt much fun either.

I enjoyed a few adjustments they made to the combat system, like having a melee attack button, and rolling around and shooting was kind of fun too...But I lost interest after the initial quirks. I knew I was getting into a game that I probably wasnt going to like but continued on to see if things might pick up some.

I regret doing so, because escaping the building in China, Fighting J'avo in Edonia and chasing off Ogoroman didn't do anything for me. The presentation was fine, but you're locked into a confined map that allows no exploration and you have keep fighting until fighting isnt fun anymore.

When I got to having to protect Finn I just stopped right there. Yeah, I'd died a bunch of times and learned more how the games combat system worked and stuff. But it stopped being fun to play over an hour earlier and I was tired of waiting for something to happen that would grab my interest.

I was wondering if I should have just given Leons campaign a shot after I stopped playing, but I really was too disappointed by the choices the development team made for the game. Adding in zombies and some survival horror in a 7 or so hr campaign that tells another part of the story just doesnt make up for the remaining 20+ hrs of action, quicktime events, and a story that doesnt seem to go anywhere.

I might give Leon and Jakes campaigns a bit of time at some point, just to say I did. But the games a real Black eye to the franchise.

Comment

Looks at those sales numbers and is confused on why Capcom continually makes exclusive DLC deals with Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by djepic112 View Post
            Looks at those sales numbers and is confused on why Capcom continually makes exclusive DLC deals with Microsoft.
            They pay for them.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Full disclosure: I have not finished this game yet. I'm at the end of Leon's scenario, 2/3rds of the way through Jake's, and I haven't bothered with Chris.

I think the biggest problem I had with Resident Evil 6 (so far) wasn't the combat, controls, graphics or even story; those pieces were definitely done very well and deserve praise (with exception to the massive number of QTE's). I think the biggest problem I had with this game was that it simply wasn't based in reality.

Yes, Resident Evil is fiction. Yes, every game in the series has at least one thing (probably many) that are questionable on whether or not something like that could really happen, but Resident Evil 6 tried so hard to throw so many "epic", unrealistic moments at you that they wound up flat-lining all of them at once.

When I got to the part where Sherry and Jake were on the motorcycle jumping from rooftop to rooftop and then jumping a helicopter in mid-flight, I couldn't help but roll my eyes in disappointment. Those kinds of "over-the-top" action sequences, occurring over and over again that only a game in the same genre of Uncharted should be known for, occurred too many times and it really pushed the feeling of invincibility of these characters, making the game feel like a chore to play through.

Part of what made Resident Evil a series you wanted to keep playing was the "discovery" process. You weren't spoon-fed the entire story because a lot of the finer details were presented in files you may or may not come across or cut scenes that occurred only if you played the game a certain way (RE2's Claire A/Leon B vs. Leon A/Claire B, for example). I think that's part of what made the games in the past quite fun and allowed for many people to look past the limitations in controls or other quips. You got a deeper feel for what some of the other citizens of Raccoon City had to go through which gave you a deeper understanding of the events that took place and allowed you to connect with the experience better.

Resident Evil 6 is so incredibly strict with its script and it has such an incredible linearity to it that it feels like it should have just been an hour-long special of a TV show you watch and forget (although I do need to finish the game before I can determine if I want to "forget it" or not).

The one sign that I saw that showed that Capcom could still do a good job with Resident Evil's presentation was the Lost in Nightmares DLC for Resident Evil 5. It was the newer controls combined with elements from older games. There were files concerning Spencer that you could optionally read or skip (so if story wasn't your thing, it didn't need to play a part) and the scenario made you feel vulnerable rather than invincible.

In a rare move, I actually wanted to play Lost in Nightmares on the hardest difficulty possible(something I never do) because it was that much more fun to play. You stayed in control of your character's fate throughout, and the Wesker fight at the end was simply hilarious and a joy to play (despite my opinion of his story taking a turn for the worse in that game).

I think the point that Wrathborne is trying to make (albeit a bit too bluntly) is that there is a certain "feel" or "atmosphere" that existed with this series in the past that was lost with this game, which I definitely concur with.

It's kind of like watching the TV series House M.D. and suddenly we are handed episode after episode where House must solve 15 cases at once and every case involves the patient being nearly dead every time. And House has to dodge runaway ambulances. And helicopters. And diseases.

It's simply too much too fast.

Comment

Working...
              X