No announcement yet.

Resident Evil 6 First Week Sales in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on your mindset. Remember, I've had to yell at people declaring that you have to buy anything Capcom slaps a Resident Evil label on to be a true fan. Others just genuinely like both style of games. Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Ironic as it is talking about newsy and PU, debate is ongoing over there exactly over the idea of entitlement and "true fandom" in the face of differing opinion on how the franchise is now.

To me the same thing applies to all culture points like how often people debate shit like Star Wars and how much is up to Lucas to decide over the point of how much the fans own the franchise.

I think you guys, personally, are laying on the true fandom thing a bit thickly. I might not entirely like or entirely hate how the franchise is currently but it doesn't give me the right to otherwise presume to know what is best either or what others should like. Nostelgia and your history is going to be different than someone who started playin RE4 or 5 and might like 6. Doesn't mean their willing the franchise to continue is any different than yours for it to be reset or be like the old games or whatever person thinks. And that is still a true fan to me because either way you care enough to have an opinion. Because regardless or not its still all under the same freaking franchise banner. ;)

I've said it several times over but given the critical comment over the sales, even if they meet Capcom's expectations, they will listen and the next game will be different somehow again. But you have to be prepared that its legacy may mean its something else entirely new once more.
      Last edited by Rombie; 10-13-2012, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
        Ironic as it is talking about newsy and PU, debate is ongoing over there exactly over the idea of entitlement and "true fandom" in the face of differing opinion on how the franchise is now.

To me the same thing applies to all culture points like how often people debate shit like Star Wars and how much is up to Lucas to decide over the point of how much the fans own the franchise.

I think you guys, personally, are laying on the true fandom thing a bit thickly. I might not entirely like or entirely hate how the franchise is currently but it doesn't give me the right to otherwise presume to know what is best either or what others should like. Nostelgia and your history is going to be different than someone who started playin RE4 or 5 and might like 6. Doesn't mean their willing the franchise to continue is any different than yours for it to be reset or be like the old games or whatever person thinks. And that is still a true fan to me because either way you care enough to have an opinion. Because regardless or not its still all under the same freaking franchise banner. ;)

I've said it several times over but given the critical comment over the sales, even if they meet Capcom's expectations, they will listen and the next game will be different somehow again. But you have to be prepared that its legacy may mean its something else entirely new once more.
        Good points well put

Comment

About the future of RE...

Yoshiaki Hirobayashi: "We want the series, the situations and the characters, to resonate with gamers. For each iteration we keep scaling it up and making it bigger and better - and there may be a limit to that, and that's when we'd think about something like a reboot.

As long as the series is resonating with fans, and this version of Resident Evil (RE6) is winning new fans, that's what we want. If that reaches a limit, and it hasn't, then we'd have to decide whether to take it in a new direction"
          Until then, we'll be getting bigger and better RE4 reduxes. Same old (RE4), same old (RE4)
          Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
          sigpic

Comment

I'd really appreciate it if people didn't saddle me with "will lap shit up for story". It's borderline insulting, and factually incorrect. Please do not try and tell me what my opinions are, especially when I'm not even in the discussion and you don't have the first clue what you're talking about. And for the record, there is no such thing as a "true fan", you either like something or you don't, and everything is subject to personal taste and interest. Instantly calling anyone who just doesn't happen to agree with you "it's okay, not a true fan" is poor form, and nothing else.

I like the game, generally speaking. I have lots of issues with it at the same time. I gave it a 7, and have criticisms of both the story and gameplay. At the same time, I don't see either of them as series tarnishing material, yet. It's a sub-par entry with some redeeming qualities. My "investment" in the series means nothing, I will drop it in a fucking heartbeat if it ever does reach pathetic levels of bad, just as I dropped Metal Gear (former staff member on Metal Gear Solid: The Unofficial Site) and actively ignore the existence of The 3rd Birthday.
            Last edited by News Bot; 10-20-2012, 05:52 AM.
            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by News Bot View Post
              My "investment" in the series means nothing, I will drop it in a fucking heartbeat if it ever does reach pathetic levels of bad, just as I dropped Metal Gear (former staff member on Metal Gear Solid: The Unofficial Site) and actively ignore the existence of The 3rd Birthday.
              Capcom just used the Clone Trope dude, thats officially pathetic levels of bad. When a franchise chooses the clone trope, its because they're out of ideas. They really showed that this time around, even with opening up new avenues by giving Wesker a son and bringing Umbrella back the majority of the story's emphasis is on a character who is a clone(pretending to be another character, but still) and its not interesting to me in the least.

I know I'm not alone as other folks here have put in their 2 cents on the clone issue but regardless, this is pathetic levels of bad. RE6's greatest success is the job the marketing team did grabbing all of our attention on a game thats even more mediocre than part 5 was.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                Capcom just used the Clone Trope dude, thats officially pathetic levels of bad. When a franchise chooses the clone trope, its because they're out of ideas. They really showed that this time around, even with opening up new avenues by giving Wesker a son and bringing Umbrella back the majority of the story's emphasis is on a character who is a clone(pretending to be another character, but still) and its not interesting to me in the least.

I know I'm not alone as other folks here have put in their 2 cents on the clone issue but regardless, this is pathetic levels of bad. RE6's greatest success is the job the marketing team did grabbing all of our attention on a game thats even more mediocre than part 5 was.
                Clones have been part of the series since the first game, bit late to get strung up on it now. There is no actual cloning going on in the game, in the strict sense of the word, and how they actually did it fit rather nicely, although how they handled everything post-"birth" was terrible. Clones also happened to be one of the biggest plot points of Metal Gear Solid. Don't see people getting strung up over that.

Comment

Clones have been part of the series since the first game, bit late to get strung up on it now.
                  Since when? You're going to have to elaborate on that as I know this is based of the supplemental material and unfortunately we didn't get that across the pond.

Comment

Wrath - seeing as you haven't actually played the game (correct?) and are just repeating the same problems you've read/raised online, why do you even continue to bother? You're telling the guy who has more invested in it than you reasons why you think he should quit caring, yet here you are still on this forum talking about how 'shit' it is. Like you care.

Don't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Comment

Nope. I have played the game(Chris's Scenario). After about 80 minutes, I just put it down and walked.

Unfortunately, I'll always care about the RE series in some way. Growing up with the series like most folks here, its hard to move on completely. I still have a slim hope for the series(mostly if they reboot it) but this game is really awful.

I hate hating the series, I really do. I mean from 96-2004 I was having all kinds of fun with Resident Evil. I loved survival horror, and even though 4 had more of an emphasis on action it still had enough horror for me to enjoy and the games story was 'just enough'.

Then 5 came out and things went downhill from there. The stories have been incredibly generic, the characters haven't been interesting, the magic is gone.

I understand your point here dude, I really do. I'm a jaded fan. Its not that I'm pissed off that they're doing what I don't think they should be doing, its that they're continuously making bad to mediocre games out there that aren't fun, interesting, or even worth a rental.

You'll have to forgive my aggressively trying to point out that this game 'fails to meet expectations' and butting heads with Newsbot.

Comment

I think we all have an 'invested interest' in RE6 (obviously some more than others). I mean its part of the mainline series and it clearly illustrates where it will go from here. So you cannot ignore it as you would something like Gaiden. Which has little relevance on the main series.

So even if Wrath believes its a big pile of manure with no redeeming qualities, it doesn't mean that he doesn't care for it. No more than a parent when punishing one of his/her kids. They punish them because they love 'em. They care.

RE6's good sales will most likely tell its producers that more like it is needed. Unless the mixed scores seriously cut down on its legs like happened with ORC. They could get around that by releasing the game on many other platforms, like they did with RE4. And call it a major success. Like they did with Dragon Dogma despite being mostly a hit in Japan. It would've really taken off in the West if there had released a PC version. RE6 will have that.

So I think we all have an interest in knowing where all this recent success will take the series next.
                        Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                          Since when? You're going to have to elaborate on that as I know this is based of the supplemental material and unfortunately we didn't get that across the pond.
                          Doesn't matter whether you got it across the pond, since you got it on two other specific occasions between BH1 and BH6 (Alfred and Alexia in CV are clones of Veronica, Sergei in UC was cloned ten times, etc). Cloning has been part of the series since it's inception, a very vital part, at that. How do you think B.O.W.s are actually produced in numbers? Cloning. Why do "random" mutations happen when we see the same B.O.W.s? Because those B.O.W.s are all cloned from a single base specimen that happened to be a successful experiment (Hunters, Chimeras and Tyrants in particular are all clones).

Nope. I have played the game(Chris's Scenario). After about 80 minutes, I just put it down and walked.
                          You hate action, so the best solution for you was to play the most action-packed campaign in the game?

Comment

You hate action, so the best solution for you was to play the most action-packed campaign in the game?
                            2/3rds of the game are action dude, its almost a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. So I just decided to start as Chris to 'get it over with'. Is that a bad thing?

I actually dont remember Alfred and Alexia being clones...But then again I dont remember much of code V, minus the backtracking and
                            Steve being Steve. Wasn't a huge fan of CodeV, so yeah.

As for Sergei being cloned 10 times and shit, I really found it hard to take anything Umbrella Chronicles said to be taken seriously. I know it was supposed to be prequel/side story that answered questions and all...But Talos.

Comment

Not being a huge fan of it does not invalidate it. Clones have always been a big part of the series, as I said. BH6 doesn't even use any actual clones, it has a roundabout method of a brainwashed genetic doppleganger. Not entirely unfeasible and fits with the abilities of the C-Virus, which aren't far off from the G-Virus. The "birth" scene is one of the best in the game because it's genuinely quite disturbing-- a human being born from a cocoon.

And apart from its rather amusing design, what exactly is wrong with T-A.L.O.S? From a military industrial standpoint, its probably the only B.O.W. that actually seems like it'd be a semi-effective weapon.
                              Last edited by News Bot; 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Talos over the top design was pretty bad, but wasn't it also hooked up to the some giant batteries or something? I cant recall, I remember the cables, claws and rocket launchers and outside the room you fought it in, it was otherwise pretty limited in terms of mobility.

So does not being a huge fan invalidate the Red Queen computer from Andersons films being cannon now? I actually am curious on your opinion on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X