REmake & RE0 backgrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REmake & RE0 backgrounds

This question is posed to anyone with some familiarity with how these games were made:

I realize that the background masters are 640x480 (4:3), but how feasible would it be to re-render them in 1920x1080 (16:9) from the original assets? Were the environments arranged in such a way that showing more area on the sides would look particularly strange or out of place? or would it simply include more relevant detail and improve the sense of immersion? Expanding RE:CVX to 16:9 in the HD remaster looked very natural and appropriate, but since it didn't rely on pre-rendered backgrounds, it wasn't too much of a leap to simply render extra polygons on the newly-revealed periphery. In fact, I hope Outbreak Files 1 & 2 receive the RE:CVX treatment, framed in 16:9 with up-scaled textures (and maybe surround sound as well). Certainly, the online factor would be greatly improved as a consequence .

Depending on the ease and feasibility of re-rending the original assets of REmake and RE0, we could potentially have an amazing game or two on our hands some day. Even with the PS3 and 360, using uncompressed 24-bit RGB 1920x1080 bitmaps as backgrounds would be laughably easy. This would allow tons of processing power to be saved, which could then be allocated to the rendering of super-detailed objects and characters. There would also be plenty of space for a loss-less or uncompressed 7.1 soundtrack taken from the original digital stems without down-sampling. All this could also, I'm sure, fit on a single disc (at least in the case of PS3). Hell, maybe REmake AND RE0 could fit on a single disc (MGS HD Collection anyone?).

What do you guys think?

lets forget the direct GC port;

i think the original renders of those pre rendered games are above than 480p. i mean, the 3d render they use to capture the frames.
    i always think about this, you can find the RE0 box art render on the internet, its 5000x5000, and its not CG for sure, its obviously a non compressed frame. they should use this to bring up those games to light again.

but i think ps3/xbox can render at 720p, even pre rendered scenarios. time for next gen, hurry.

here the image(i hope the forum not display it), the character are CG:

Last edited by yurieu; 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yurieu View Post
      lets forget the direct GC port;

i think the original renders of those pre rendered games are above than 480p. i mean, the 3d render they use to capture the frames.
      i always think about this, you can find the RE0 box art render on the internet, its 5000x5000, and its not CG for sure, its obviously a non compressed frame. they should use this to bring up those games to light again.

but i think ps3/xbox can render at 720p, even pre rendered scenarios. time for next gen, hurry.

here the image(i hope the forum not display it), the character are CG:

http://projectumbrella.net/files/ima...20Evil%200.jpg

Look at that flying fork

The poly count is not that high (for the environment), so a "modern" console could handle it, also with those characters that are quite high if you think that they where meant to run on a Game Cube, Rebecca (if I remember correctly), is almost 8000 polys.

Don't know how fast is a PS3/Xbox360 loding those FULL HD animated backgrounds and keeping a fluent frame rate, but they can handle the game in full 3D for sure.

Comment

^^^ That is the most beautiful image I've seen all week, thank you for sharing it.

I believe the PS3 can render 1920x1080p60; there are a few games that do this natively (including Virtua Tennis 3 and Fifa Street 3). Since REmake and RE0 have pre-rendered backgrounds, rendering a few characters and objects at 1920x1080p60 should be perfectly fine.

Comment

Knowing CRAPCOM...none of these will ever happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
            ^^^ That is the most beautiful image I've seen all week
            forget it, capcom said there is no market for that anymore ehehe

and no, ps3/xbox can't render remake/zero in 1080p.

Comment

They wouldn't port either to PS3 or X360 due to the "CAPCOM 5" agreement with Nintendo. If they were ever to port either REmake or RE0 in HD it would be on the WiiU. As for current generation consoles dealing with those backgrounds, it should be very possible, but that would require a lot of engine tweaking due to all the extra features needed by the background effects.
              Last edited by Gemini; 10-12-2012, 06:15 PM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
              , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicBlue View Post
                Look at that flying fork
                I wonder why is it like that? Have seen it happen in RE 2 & 3 renders for example. Is it like an easy way to add objects that originally not there?

Originally posted by yurieu View Post
                forget it, capcom said there is no market for that anymore ehehe
                Unfortunately this is true. Goddamit screw this generation of consoles and all the reasons that stand in a way of prerendered background games.

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                They wouldn't port either to PS3 or X360 due to the "CAPCOM 5" agreement with Nintendo. If they were ever to port either REmake or RE0 in HD it would be on the WiiU.
                Didn't think I'd ever say this, but if those ports were to happen, I'd buy WiiU just for that.

I do believe that master assets/3d models are kept in a safe somewhere, and the original renders were of a much higher resolution (probably not 1920x1080 of course, but at least 1280×720) but for the final version were compressed to 640x480.
                Even if the don't go with widescreen, I'd still take the HD re-release any time of the day.

Comment

the flying fork tells me they make each element individually then join them all builing the 3d scenario(like a drag and drop). all with a 2001/2002 engine.

well, i know 1080p of Remake will have no advantage from original 480p, but the character will be better. anyway, they can make 4:3 1080, just like in the dolphin.

we should have a thread with ideas for pre rendered games, all about scenarios and light, shadows and whatever.

i dont like this generation because its graphical jump was inferior compared to oldest generations, thats obvisous. and if some dude ask me, i recommend buy a wii/wiiu with remake and zero instead a ps3 with RE6. in fact, mostly people will think im crazy. and yes, i am.

Comment

This depends on how you approach the scene "dressing" process, you could make the props in the same scene or model them in a blank project, to share them with other people or to "call" them when you need that particular object only, without loading the wall room, but this is not why the fork or other assets flies, this is called LAZINESS, they simply didn't bother to check the side orthographic view, and positioned the object by eye.

The only thing that prevent this room to run smoothly realtime is the presence of NURBS lofted objects, the bottles, the central part chandelier and the champagne bucket. They are clearly too highpoly, but if you really want them with the same details, you can reduce them and take advantage of DirectX 11 tessellation (not with current generation of console) you can make them smooth again, otherwise they will look fine at low poly level too.

The other stuff is quite simple geometry, the textures and the lights make them look this good.
                    Last edited by SonicBlue; 10-13-2012, 04:01 AM.

Comment

i really believe they should use tesselation on 3D characters and enemies. the leechman with high tesselation would be great. and not to mention rebbeca and billy.

but no way. reencode backgrounds and include advanced graphical features are too expensive since it would sell about a million units.

well, the market ruined the games for me. or this is why adults leave them.

we have crappy consoles, so there will be crappy graphics and crappy games for a crappy audience.

im disappointed since i read wii u has a worse processor than ps3/xbox360, 7 years later their release. read its a enhanced wii processor, which is a enhanced gamecube processor.

Comment

No idea where you got that information about the processor, but it's totally bogus.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                        , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

When Capcom was hyping up the remake in 2001 they released a tech video showing a fly through render of the mansion environment in full 3d. So I figure from that standpoint provided all of the assets were kept it would be quite possible to go back and get higher res images and in widescreen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                            When Capcom was hyping up the remake in 2001 they released a tech video showing a fly through render of the mansion environment in full 3d. So I figure from that standpoint provided all of the assets were kept it would be quite possible to go back and get higher res images and in widescreen.
                            this is a kind of video someone should store for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                              Is this the video?

I'm pretty sure Capcom still has the 3D master files for the REmake/0 backgrounds because they used downscaled versions for the environments in Umbrella Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
                              X