Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
    I just don't get the logic behind the move
    I have a hard time believing that you really do.

Mainstream and casual gamers are an integral part of a game system's success (see PS1, PS2, Wii, 360 and its legion of dudebros - the PS3 lagged behind initially because Sony fucked the formula of their success by not targeting them from the start).

That's why currently Michael Pachter is predicting doom for the Wii U. Because he doesn't believe said console will connect with those type of people. The Wii U (or any other system) cannot 'make it big' without them.

Anyway, they added an EASY mode for the Wii Edition of RE4 in Japan. The game was already easy thanks to the precise & fast pointer controls. But Kawata was fearful that casuals would find it too hard. I guess the feedback they got was on the money, so they added that in. And that's why UC ended up being on-rails as well. There's a video of Kawataa explaining how he wanted to deliver something 'easy' for Wii's casual user base.

And RE6's producers feared that THOSE people wouldn't beat the game. And because Capcom subscribes to the 'word-of-mouth- PR strategy, they also feared that mainstream gamers would not give the game a good rap with other casuals. So by unlocking shit from the start, they allow those people to see more of the product they're trying to sell.

Besides, its Capcom after all.
    Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
    sigpic

Comment

I get you need the Brotastic Brigade, or at least really want them because they have a collective wad of cash that reaches the moon...but how does unlocking end game content make them buy the game? How is being able to play Ada right at the start convert to sales? Word of mouth, they're still gonna be going on that they couldn't beat the damned game. Adding, 'Oh. and you can play as a hot chick and I can't beat her part either' doesn't seem like it will drum up sales to me, but then, I am not Brotastic.

I am not even a Brodude.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
        I get you need the Brotastic Brigade, or at least really want them because they have a collective wad of cash that reaches the moon...but how does unlocking end game content make them buy the game? How is being able to play Ada right at the start convert to sales? Word of mouth, they're still gonna be going on that they couldn't beat the damned game. Adding, 'Oh. and you can play as a hot chick and I can't beat her part either' doesn't seem like it will drum up sales to me, but then, I am not Brotastic.

I am not even a Brodude.
        I think we all know ppl that didn't get very far in RE4. Including some that didn't know that they could RUN in the game. Their opinion of the game is not very good, as a result. You can find some those at amazon (one guy complained that it wasn't a CoD game). I guess Capcom's logic is that by making things easier for them, they're less likely to complain.

There was an article done (90% of players who start your game will never see the end of it - LINK) that made the rounds among developers. I remember reading some reactions from devs who were depressed about that. And who figured that they had to come up with more gimmicks to ensure that more mainstream players gave the whole game a looksie.

So its a no brainer that Ada's campaign was unlocked for those ppl.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
          ...once again proving that they listen to feedback and take it seriously.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	300g667434.gif
Views:	2
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	401851

Comment

Hmm.

Great, it's free and all but when I saw the words "major" and "update" used in the same sentence I have to admit I wasn't expecting this stuff. I platinumed this game a week after it came out and I've lost all interest ever since because there's just so much content unavailable at the moment. Co-op on Ada's campaign? Not suprising and it doesn't bother me since it's optional. It does bother me that people need to hold someone's hand throughout the entire game and refuse to play Ada's because they're all by their lonesome. God forbid they don't finish the game! Let's see some RE.net updates, I've got points out the wazoo and I've already purchased all the lackluster palette swaps. Hell, the retro pack alone would keep me playing for a long time, not to mention the mercs maps.

Meh, back to waiting for Hitman I guess.
            "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
            Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Behold as people probably start bitchin' if they add 4 player co-op to every chapter in the entire game

Comment

Shoehorning Co-Op into a mainline RE game has never been a reason to complain. I mean, RE fans demanded that in RE1, RE2, RE3, CVX, RE4.

And they also loved Sheva in RE5.
                sigpic

Comment

We don't talk about Sheva...Ya know, because we dont want to remember her..."NEED AMMO! THANKS PARTNER!"
                  Last edited by Wrathborne; 10-28-2012, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                    Shoehorning Co-Op into a mainline RE game has never been a reason to complain. I mean, RE fans demanded that in RE1, RE2, RE3, CVX, RE4.
                    If I had a cent for every time people moaned about how "cool" and "amazing" those 3 seconds of Biohazard 1 co-op footage looked, I'd probably have been able to buy not just the Resident Evil franchise from Capcom, but actually purchase a majority of the shares in Capcom and assumed full control of their entire production line.

Now ... imagine what I'd be able to do if I also had a cent for every time people moaned about *something* Outbreak *something* and I applied those cents as the budget to the development of a title ...

Comment

It did look fucking amazing at the time though... because at that time we were in the days of link up with Command & Conquer Red Alert, Bushido Blade first person mode and DOOM, and this was with Resident Evil. Sweet times. Only that co-op looked like an AI follower IIRC, probably possible with GS codes by now I imagine. Time changes everything

Comment

If I had a cent for every time people moaned about how "cool" and "amazing" those 3 seconds of Biohazard 1 co-op footage looked, I'd probably have been able to buy not just the Resident Evil franchise from Capcom, but actually purchase a majority of the shares in Capcom and assumed full control of their entire production line.

Now ... imagine what I'd be able to do if I also had a cent for every time people moaned about *something* Outbreak *something* and I applied those cents as the budget to the development of a title ...
                        None of that equals the amount of money I'd make if I got 1 cent for every "the beta would've been better" or "we want 1.5" petition.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
                          Time changes everything
                          Ahah. Indeed. Sadly, not everyone (or everything) manages to change with the times

Comment

I can just imagine that conversation taking place back in school 15 years ago..

"OH my days, could you imagine Resident Evil link up mode?" (we wouldn't say co-op then, just link up)

"Yep, that would be fucking wicked mate, I heard they're doing it already for the next one."

"Blowing zombies up together, hah, I would just leave you behind while you're trying to shoot them"

"Yeah that would be funny if you could do that, I would chase you down like a dog and fuck you up with colt python"

..later RE5 is released - no-one cares..

Though if Capcom released a press statement "We're re-releasing RE1 original with co-op mode", I bet everyone would buy it.. but if they say "We're releasing RE: Mercenary Zero, with John the new guy, and its on a boat and has co-op" no-one would really be interested... Time doesn't change the fact RE1 is a classic, it will always be legendary to old and new alike. RE1 is the RE brand, change that and you're dead in the water I think..

Games could be awesome if they knew how to make it more personal again.. honestly I don't care for all those stats and global stat averages etc. It's great for dev/marketing info, but I'm not into it or achievements, just give me a fun game I can play with my friends FFS.. on rails co-op is not fun for me with everything labelled and action scenes happening so perfectly, I just want to walk around an ordinary mansion..

Could be a sign of the times yeh, time of the mindless zombies perhaps..
                            Last edited by Scream; 10-28-2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
                              ..later RE5 is released - no-one cares..
                              Well...its not that we didn't care, because it DID look really kick ass at the time. But the fact the whole game was a co-op situation it was a little disappointing to not be able to have those solitary survival horror moments from games past.The new 9 slot inventory per character wasn't a big help after getting spoiled by the RE4 inventory system.

The other huge ass problem was, well Sheva-bot if you didn't have a friend to play with. It really soured the experience for me.

Comment

Behold as people probably start bitchin' if they add 4 player co-op to every chapter in the entire game
                                I could honestly care less if they added 6 player co-op to every chapter, I would expect nothing less these days. I don't speak for others, but in my case I think it's ridiculous to unlock Ada's campaign from the start. The fact that you had to complete three large campaigns in order to unlock the fourth was motivation for myself. RE6 has very few unlockable items, and it will soon lose another. Just one man's humble opinion.
                                "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                                Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Working...
                                X