Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Umbrella Chronicles news + RE4 PC Texture pack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umbrella Chronicles news + RE4 PC Texture pack!

Jeux France has a new video interview up with Masachika Kawata where he talks about Umbrella Chronicles. Apparently some details gleamed from it are:

- no online mode for RE UC
    - RE4 and RE UC are just two tests
    - Kawata is interested by others wiimakes (RE1/2 and 3)

Update: A more extensive translation is available thanks to Neogaf:

[Talks about how he start up at Capcom]

Q: What inspire you to develop a new episode of the serie Resident Evil on Wii? [WTF, UC is not a new episode...]

A: The Wii-mote was perfectly adapted to that kind of game.

Q: What do you think about third-party support on Wii in general. What drove you to develop on Wii instead of working on PS3 or X360?

A: The basic concept of Resident Evil is to run with guns and shoot everywhere [!!!], so from that perspective, it was really interesting to take full advantage of the uniqueness of the Wii. We wanted to create a balance between the shootings and the horror.

Q: We gave Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition an excellent score. Why isn't Capcom bringing RE5 to Wii? As we seen with that game, impressive graphics can be done on that platform as well.

A: Decisions surrending the RE5 project were taken a long time ago [perhaps even before Nintendo unveiled Wii-mote?] and they needed to choose quickly on which platform they wanted to develop it. They haven't decided if they will port RE5 on Wii yet. So in a way this game (RE4:Wii); well both games [I think the translator switch Kawata's words to point both games] will help us to test the market, to see if developing this genre on this plateform is interesting. The decision is not made yet.

Q: Will RE:UC use the Wii-mote feature of simply point and shoot, or will they'll be other controls, using the nunchuck for example?

A: The basic feature of point and shoot will be used, but we're still working on trying stuff with the nunchuck.

Q: Why did you prefer the gun survivor genre instead of the classic style, like RE4?

A: The game concept is to sumarize the games and to add depth to the scenario, so in a sense, it's not simply a gun survivor game. Since we are going back on the story of previous games, it was useless to simply stage them the same way. So half of the game is something you might already did in previous games, and the other half is somehow new. — Based on what you seen on that video, what is your opinion on the game?

Q: From what I've seen, it looks cool, but I am really waiting to try it out before forging an opinion since most Wii games are really meant to play them; not simply look at them.

Q: A general question about the Resident Evil franchise; what inspire you to develop this game?

A: I did not watch, or play, or look at something else in particular. The sole purpose of that game was to give more room to the story, and to create it for the Wii.

Q: We just learned that the game featured a coop-mode. Can you tell us more?

A: You will be able to play with a friend, but we're still working on that feature.

Q: Will there be an online mode?

A: It would be really cool to have this feature as well, but unfortunately, no.

Q: Capcom had remaked previous episode in the past (RE and REØ) on GameCube. Can we hope to get other remakes on Wii? Is Capcom thinking about it? Maybe like RE4 [he meant using RE4 engine]?

A: I think that there is potential for that platform, but currently, with the games that have been announced, the staff has plenty of work to do. [...] But yeah, I would like to see other remakes as well. [...] But since this game goes back on previous episodes, people that are hoping for remakes should maybe invest their time on RE:UC.

Q: Every current-generation consoles (NDS, Wii, PS3, X360) have or will get a Resident Evil game except PSP. Does this bother you? Are there any plans to develop a RE game for PSP?

A: I don't really know why, but there are no plans to develop a game on PSP for the moment. It's not that we don't want to develop for that handled, it just happened that way. For the moment, we have plenty of work to do, so we aren't really looking for our next projects, but the door is still open.

Q: Are there any plans to revitalize the Dino Crisis series? Are you working on a new game for the current generation consoles?

A: I worked has a designer for Dino Crisis, so I am somehow nostalgic as well. We haven't talked about this topic internally from what I know, so I have no idea if Capcom is interested in bringing back this franchise. [...] The director of RE:UC was also the director of Dino Crisis, and I'm pretty should he would be interested to work on the series again, so I think the door on that idea is still open.

Q: Maybe some sort of collaboration of all the original staff of previous games?

A: It would be cool, but nowadays, the group is diveded among lots of different projects, so it would be hard to combine all of them on a single project.

Q: Will there be any new information about Resident Evil 5 soon?

A: Soon.

[Asks about his stay in France, of course he is really happy, yadiyadiyada...]
    Thanks goes to StephaneC at Neogaf, and Jeux France.

Watch Impress also has some new shots up of Umbrella Chronicles, focusing on the menu's and the traincar from Resident Evil 0.

In other news, Forum member albert has painstakingly gone through the Resident Evil 4 PC port and identified low resolution textures, and then replaced them with either their higher resolution Gamecube counterparts or created them anew in high res. Its an excellent job and deserves a download from any Resident Evil 4 PC player! Much better than previous efforts by other people! A quick example shot is below, with the default textures being on top and the new ones on the bottom.

Details can be found on MarkGrass' "The Coroner" in the forums!
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 07-09-2007, 01:40 PM.

Well the lack of online severely bites but on the upside the rumour of a RE2Birth/RE3Birth is always peachy.

As a side note the High-def RE4 mod, Swing!!
    sigpic

Comment

No more remakes for God's sake. I'm not sure which DC he meant there... he DID work on the first game, but that one was directed by Mikami. He (Kawata) wasn't involved in the 2nd or third games, so I wonder if he meant that Takumi is doing UC.

He's the creator of Gyakuten Saiban, but he did a great job with DC2.

Comment

Eh, I really don't like this Kawata guy.

Q: We gave Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition an excellent score. Why isn't Capcom bringing RE5 to Wii? As we seen with that game, impressive graphics can be done on that platform as well.
        Wow. What a moron.
        Last edited by News Bot; 07-09-2007, 06:19 PM.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Working...
        X