The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey

Well I'm not seeing it until Friday but I am absolutely stoked for this.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy are, for me as a huge LOTR fan across all mediums, probably as close to perfect as a movie will ever get. I love them so dearly.

So have at it folks, what did you think?
    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Apprehensive. I want them to succeed so badly but the pessimist in me is wondering how they can drag a fairly small book out into three 160 minute films.
    "I've got 100 cows."
    "Well I've got 104 friends."

Comment

The book was...what, a little over 300 pages? That combined with the appendecies from the 'Fellowship of the ring' where they explained what Gandalf was doing when he left the party as well as some peices from 'The Silmarillion' to further explain the return of the dark lord when he took his first form and was looking for the ring on his own before being met by Gandalf, Radagast, and Saruman.

There are good chunks of the story from other books to use, but I think for some of it theres going to be some extra character padding and lengthier battle scenes and stuff to lengthen the movies run time. Still excited to see Smaug attack on laketown, that should be damn epic.

So we'll see what happens.

Comment

Going to watch it on upcoming Sunday, excited!
        Freedom of Information.

Comment

sigpic

Comment

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...s-8411487.html

I will not support this 'movie', nor will I any longer support anyone involved with these deaths. This is simply unacceptable.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deus Flux View Post

I will not support this 'movie', nor will I any longer support anyone involved with these deaths. This is simply unacceptable.
              ahah, in the credits there will be a soothing "no animal were harmed during making this film" with some fancy certificate. shame on them!

Comment

I actually came into this thread to say the same thing; glad I'm not the only one who is horrified by this... It's tragic enough when an animal is accidentally harmed for the purpose of human entertainment, but the fact these animals were purposely left in poor conditions, consciously abused and neglected, is unforgivable.

I was a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, and I loved the novels. They're nostalgic, to me, for all they represented during my middle school years; but, even before these reports of animal abuse came out, I was never too excited for this installment. It just failed to excite me, from the get-go.

Comment

Holy crap... here in the US the only issue discussed in the media is the 48fps thing. I never read anything about animals dying like that here.
                  Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                  sigpic

Comment

And yet people close to production have confirmed it was all an elaborate sting operation caused by PETA. So believe what you will. And many things in the past that PETA have accused things of doing have been also been decomfirmed.

1) According to government documents, PETA employees have killed more than 19,200 dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens since 1998. This behavior continues despite PETA’s moralizing about the “unethical” treatment of animals by farmers, scientists, restaurant owners, circuses, hunters, fishermen, zookeepers,…

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...t-allegations/

I'm not looking to derail this thread, but please consider both sides of the story first.
                    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
                    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
                    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

Comment

Ya know, I'd agree with you...but this shit has been known online for almost a month or so now, and while tragic the fact that this arrogant PETA cunt is lying saying that Peter Jackson hasnt said anything about the animals deaths, but also the fact that PETA itself is responsible for more animal deaths in a year than this film is.

Not to mention the fact that the production company was in charge of the animals and not Peter Jackson himself.

This "article" is about as fair and balanced as fox news Deus Flux, dont go posting this silly biased garbage here. I'm with you on the fact that the deaths of some of the animals could have been avoided, but posting shit like this that points the finger in the wrong direction as well as pretty much suggesting that Jackson himself personally used a sledge hammer to each animal, is stupid frivolous bullshit.

Heres an article from Nov.20th when the news was first reported.
                      Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. Calgary Herald offers information on latest national and international events & more.

Heres Peter Jackson commenting on the deaths of the animals(as to which your article said he hadn't even commented on the animals )

And here is the AHA who worked on the films comment, its time to make some changes on animal treatment in Hollywood and it came down to the producers(New Linec cinema/Warner bros) basically not caring. While Peter Jackson is a producer of the series, hes also busy directing it. If you dont know how much work or time that's consuming, then that's even less reason for you to point the finger at him.

And when I said PETA kills more animals than it saves?
                      Here ya go.

And here.

and here as well.
                      People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals killed 1,911 out of 1,992 cats and dogs at their Norfolk, Virginia headquarters last year, a report by the Centre for Consumer Freedom said.

Who should you really be boycotting? -_-

Comment

Jackson spent too much time having to comment on the accusations. At the premiere media day here half the bloody conference was taken up with discussion on it because knee jerk reaction dictated that people were planning a protest during the premiere. And so all the media was trying to push buttons on it.

After all the denying anything that serious happened there was nothing at the premiere. Just further trying to drag out more issues for the production.

Comment

Fact is animals were needlessly killed within the process of this production. And I don't believe either organization - PETA or AHA (one has no credibility and the other has become indeed too cozy with Hollywood and got caught turning a blind eye in this case).

And I would have a hard time believing sites that target PETA, even if I agree PETA sucks. That would be like paying a visit to the Drudge Report and looking for the truth behind Obamacare.

Anyways... I think that i'll wait for the bloated DVD edition. I read the damn book too many times as a kid. So, I'm not in a hurry to see it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Sorry Piminister, I've forwarded Midnight showing Hobbit tickets to your address. You are now in a hurry to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                              Sorry Piminister, I've forwarded Midnight showing Hobbit tickets to your address. You are now in a hurry to see it.
                              The last time I went to a mightnight showing was when the last Indiana Jones movie came out... my brother picked me up at work and dammit... I could barely stay awake. It was horrible. Never again.

I'll donate the tickets to PETA.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X