Capcom: "there is a possibility" of Resident Evil series reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a case of 'opinions, how do they work'

HUNK is not a character that is vital to any game, yet he IS an iconic character from the series. More identifiable than most of the other characters not named Leon, Chris, Claire or Jill.

He's like the unofficial mascot of RE.
    Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
      This is a case of 'opinions, how do they work'

HUNK is not a character that is vital to any game, yet he IS an iconic character from the series. More identifiable than most of the other characters not named Leon, Chris, Claire or Jill.
      I agree he is very iconic; I don’t think anyone would argue that. But, his core value to the story is what I’m referencing (i.e., if the series was rebooted, never seeing HUNK again would hardly be pivotal substance lost—or rather, “a crime against nature”).

He's like the unofficial mascot of RE.
      Unfortunately, much to my chagrin, we could say the same about the Chainsaw Ganado.

Comment

Originally posted by Bianca View Post
        Direct me to the part where I said I knew anything about why you liked the character, because I'm not recalling that part of my post. I was merely pointing out that this fandom seems to have a major boner for this character. Yeah, I get the appeal, because he is an enigma, but it's the absurdity of naming HUNK alongside Leon and Claire that had me literally laugh out loud--especially after years and years of scratching my head, trying to figure out why this fandom sends out the HUNK boner brigade every time his name is mentioned.
        ... Oh so you're saying that you decided to come off like an asshole just because?

Originally posted by Bianca View Post
        I agree he is very iconic; I don’t think anyone would argue that. But, his core value to the story is what I’m referencing (i.e., if the series was rebooted, never seeing HUNK again would hardly be pivotal substance lost—or rather, “a crime against nature”).(
        Oh, I see. You decided to come off as an asshole because you disagree with my opinion. That makes it all ok.

Look, I don't want to be an asshole either, but seriously. You see enough of this "You opinion is invalid therefore..." over stuff that doesn't even really matter in the umbrella labs and it gets annoying. I would gladly have accepted your opinion had you just made it known and not turned into nothing more than "lol that's stupid- boners!"
        Last edited by AsteroidBlues; 02-01-2013, 10:18 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

What Capcom needs to do is get off their lazy butts and release Outbreak for PSN/360/WiiU. Seriously how hard can something like that be? Godamn.

Honestly, as much as I liked Revelations, I don't think it's enough to guide the series in the right direction. Basically it's RE4 with more puzzles, it's really not that much of a change from where the series is right now. The Outbreak files are the only old-school games in the series with co-op..... in my opinion that would be a much better "test" than Revelations. I mean, come on....if they just clean up the graphics a bit, get rid of the loading screens and of course get it to work online it will sure as hell draw a lot of attention.
          Last edited by CODE_umb87; 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Revelations shows that there is still some hope and it does have enough of its own gameplay mechanics to make it less RE4 with more puzzles(genesis gun, characters partially incapacitated when their health is low, swimming mechanics, Jessicas ass ) Though by now they have enough resources to do an Outbreak style game in a proper 3rd person mode and plenty of monsters and scenario types to do.

Comment

Originally posted by CODE_umb87 View Post
              What Capcom needs to do is get off their lazy butts and release Outbreak for PSN/360/WiiU. Seriously how hard can something like that be? Godamn.

Honestly, as much as I liked Revelations, I don't think it's enough to guide the series in the right direction. Basically it's RE4 with more puzzles, it's really not that much of a change from where the series is right now. The Outbreak files are the only old-school games in the series with co-op..... in my opinion that would be a much better "test" than Revelations. I mean, come on....if they just clean up the graphics a bit, get rid of the loading screens and of course get it to work online it will sure as hell draw a lot of attention.
              But didn't the last Outbreak game sold even worse than Revelations? And on the PS2 of all consoles?

Outbreak would be a good idea if they were merely going after "I only play online and Co-Op" type of gamer. The type that hates single player and considers co-op the 'modern' way to play games.

Capcom already tested that Co-Op deal with ORC. They got mixed reactions with Co-Op w/RE6 and now they want to see how Revelations does on consoles. A more traditional type of RE game (as traditional as it will get these days). That's the whole point behind its release.
              sigpic

Comment

But didn't the last Outbreak game sold even worse than Revelations? And on the PS2 of all consoles?
                Well the last Outbreak game was more of an extension than a sequel....I'm sure that and RE4 being released around the same time(I think) was the reason for it sucking hard in sales. The first game sold better.

The thing about the Outbreak games was that they were released before co-op was mainstream in gaming. I'm sure not very many people got to play them online at the time, like myself.

Outbreak would be a good idea if they were merely going after "I only play online and Co-Op" type of gamer. The type that hates single player and considers co-op the 'modern' way to play games.
                I wouldn't know about that since I never really had problems playing the game offline. You don't really have to rely on any of the AI's in Outbreak, where as if Sheva dies it's game over. So I think both online and offline gamers would enjoy it.

Capcom already tested that Co-Op deal with ORC. They got mixed reactions with Co-Op w/RE6 and now they want to see how Revelations does on consoles. A more traditional type of RE game (as traditional as it will get these days). That's the whole point behind its release.
                ORC was pure action with no exploration. The same with RE5 and 6. I'm talking about old school RE with co-op, and the only game fitting that description is Outbreak. I think Revelations is just a bit too close to what we have now......it's essentially RE4 with more puzzles, a tad bit less ammo.....and in novella format(kidding). Keep in mind I'm just talking about gameplay, not story.

What I find weird is that Capcom has acknowledged the Outbreak series as one of the most popular fan requested series.....yet they ponder and give us things like ORC.

Comment

Capcom already tested that Co-Op deal with ORC.
                  That's like Zhiguli testing their Ladas for safety.
                  Last edited by Member_of_STARS; 02-02-2013, 07:48 AM.

Comment

ORC was pure action with no exploration. The same with RE5 and 6. I'm talking about old school RE with co-op, and the only game fitting that description is Outbreak. I think Revelations is just a bit too close to what we have now......it's essentially RE4 with more puzzles, a tad bit less ammo.....and in novella format(kidding). Keep in mind I'm just talking about gameplay, not story.
                    I wasn't talking about the story element either. That's irrelevant to making a game like the classic games. RE5 and RE6 and even ORC (albeit all screwed up) had all those same classic story elements and characters. And yet because the gameplay was actiony, they weren't at all like the old games.

Which is why I'm saying that limiting a RE reboot to just story & characters and not having the gameplay to be more survival-like, would only be a big waste of time.

Revelations is only like RE4 in that it employs the same shooting mechanics. But unlike RE4, in Revelations you're not running from point A to point B all the time - that is limited to a few action sequences. Mostly with either Chris or Parker.

And in Revelations there is a lot of backtracking (like in the old games). Which comes about due to having to do a lot of exploration. They even drove that point home by having to use the GENESIS scanner. Said device forces the player to stop and look around. You have to explore your surroundings in that game, because unlike in RE4, in Revelations enemies don't drop gold or ammo when you kill them. Scanning them only helps you piece together some health herbs. But that's it.

In regards to Co-Op, it does have Raid Mode. So its not like co-op fans will be without that co-op fix with Revelations.

What I find weird is that Capcom has acknowledged the Outbreak series as one of the most popular fan requested series.....yet they ponder and give us things like ORC.
                    Gotta blame Outbreak File #2's sales.
                    sigpic

Comment

Capcom needs to do this and get it over with. Its just time.
                      ...and, ditch the entire character lineup, while you're at it.

Sorry, Leon S. Kennedy, Ada Wong is just not that into you. :/
                      I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Leon Simmons Kennedy, am I right?
                        See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                          Leon Simmons Kennedy, am I right?
                          lol Your obsession with Simmons lately is borderline frightening...
                          Last edited by AsteroidBlues; 02-03-2013, 08:38 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

You stay quiet AsteroidSimmons, I mean blues!

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                              You stay quiet AsteroidSimmons, I mean blues!
                              Oh my God... this is some sort of brain parasite taking over the forums. <_<
                              sigpic

Comment

"Las Simplagas"

Comment

Working...
                                X