RE5 Screens, Info Leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE5 Screens, Info Leaked

It seems Games Radar has jumped the gun earlier in the day with a new Resident Evil 5 preview. They uploaded a series of screenshots which we've all seen before from the magazine scans, along with a possible hint that there will be online co-op in the title among other things. I've seen that Capcom has denied this preview as being rumors and or speculation, but I figured we should post it just to be safe. However, I've heard from a source that at least one of the new things this preview mentions is indeed true. Unfortunately, I can't expand upon that but take it for what you will. Thanks to Big_Stu who copied the text before Games Radar pulled it and king zell from Neogaf for saving the screens:

"Resident Evil 5 takes place in an anonymous country (naming it would only serve to exacerbate issues of racial controversy that arose from last year’s extended trailer) somewhere along the Eritrean/Ethiopian/Kenyan line of active volcanoes. While the beginning of Resident Evil 5 echoes 4’s startling opening there’s one major difference; when Chris enters the village its residents are uninfected. The tranquil start is quite unlike anything else in the series, as up until now we’ve only ever explored locations with hostile inhabitants. Originating deep below the surface, the virus is released due to volcanic activity and turns hosts into maniacs that, crucially, retain all their intelligence and communication skills.

Not only are these enemies more intelligent than the Ganados, there are more of them too. Chris is no pushover, but we don’t like his odds. However, something that may play in his favor is the landscape. Resident Evil 5 will expand on two features from 4’s opening level: space and verticality. The days of exploring corridors are over, and, like Carnby’s run of Central Park in Alone in the Dark, Chris is going to have gigantic areas to explore with balconies and rooftops coming in to play thanks to his heightened athleticism. Shifting focus from narrow spaces to large areas has allowed Capcom to up both the number and intelligence levels of enemies, so when you’re running up stairs and ducking in and out of buildings you’ll not only have more people chasing you but enemies who can actually pre-empt your moves and block your way too."

"If Resident Evil 4’s Dr. Salvador set your pulse racing, then get ready for a heart-attack. The ante’s been upped, and Chris has two of the bastards to deal with now. While we’ve seen plenty of the ‘Executioner’ - the sack-headed freak with a giant makeshift axe - the first glimpse of an even more terrifying foe reveals a chainsaw-wielding psycho. This guy doesn’t need his fellow villagers to wrestle you to the ground before lopping your head off, he simply needs to charge at you and let those nickel teeth do all the bloody work. Two super-baddies means twice the panic. In the areas where you’re separated from your partner there’ll be one roaming for each player, but when you’re thrown together you’d better have more than one escape route in mind. Resident Evil 5 is far less linear than its predecessors. The open locations have multiple exits to utilize (and hence entrances for the enemies to swarm you) instead of the staple diet of ‘corridor action’ we’ve grown accustomed to. If you really want to stand and fight, make sure you’ve got the weapons to do so."

"New to Resident Evil 5’s combat system is the ability to lock to a wall and fire around the corner. Say goodbye to awkward shuffling in order to find a line of sight through a doorway. Strafing is still out, but factor in Chris’ ability to duck and dive with the right stick too and he’s much more agile than Leon. This is just as well, because with a fragile girl in tow you need all the firepower and new skills you can get. Like 4, Resident Evil 5 will appeal to your paternal instincts by asking you to lay down your life for the young lady in need of rescue."

"Or should we say maternal? It all depends on whether you’re Player Two or not. Joining Chris’ fight is a new female character. Now that Chris has a partner he needs to keep in constant touch. He has both a Bluetooth headset (and phone) and a walkie-talkie; one is for chatting with the female mercenary and the other for speaking to the outside BSAA contact, Metal Gear Solid codec style. Currently nameless, the mercenary’s inclusion means that, for the first time, you’ll be able to tackle a true Resident Evil game co-operatively online. Like Gears, the entirety of Resident Evil 5 features jump in/jump out gameplay with the AI taking over the reigns of our mysterious female mercenary when you’re playing alone."

"Takeuchi also promises, in his own words, varying weather effects and different ‘passages of time’ - which, buried among talk of the importance of light, was taken by many to mean different times of the day. While the action will take place during both day and night, Takeuchi’s true meaning is far more startling."

"With all this excitement it’s easy to forget the rest of the package. Resident Evil 5 doesn’t just feature a story; there’s the returning Mercenaries minigame and a whole host of other extras that are still safely under wraps. We’ll admit to being just a wee bit concerned when it was revealed Shinji Mikami would not be heading up the production of Resident Evil 5, but in spite of this loss on the development team the game is looking like the ultimate game of the series. 2009 is going to be the year that every Resident Evil fan’s nasty, bloody and terrifying dreams come true."
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 05-22-2008, 11:53 PM.

Very nice. Weird resolution on them though..

Comment

It probably adds black bars for cutscenes. Seems a bit silly since its already in widescreen but who knows.

Comment

Well, stick a fork in me as far as the series is concerned if this is true. The cover system makes it more of an action game, where the exclusion of such a feature made RE4 a bit more true to a horror title. Co-op just isn't appropriate for a main story game as far as I'm concerned.

I honestly thought that when Inafune mentioned online, it meant a bonus non-story mode. This is beyond weird.
        Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 05-23-2008, 12:42 AM.

Comment

As did I Umon. It just seems really out of place to have that character be in the main story as AI if you aren't with another player. They should have branched it off like Seperate Ways, and had it be select-able from the main menu as a single player experience. Then include the co-op to have both take place at the same time if players wanted.

Comment

Is it me or is this sounding more and more familair?

Main Character - A returning hero hardened by fighting zombies.

Secondary Character - A poor pathetic female character that must be protected.

Secondary Character - A badass female who kicks all kinds of ass.

I swear, if the female turns out to be working for Wesker or the enemy then we'll officially know that all origionality in the RE series is dead. Especially if the new enemies remain so close to the granados.

It's starting to sound like they've done exactly the opposite to what I hoped...re-hashing everything in RE4 (and re-hashing it far more than I expected, even down to the characters) and upping the action while loosing even more horror.

Comment

Though some parts of this info sounds true (cover system, dodging, large open locations...) I hope that online gameplay is a lie. Well... the only thing that is left to do is wait for a new trailer
              "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Im resolving judgement till the game trailer and a possible demo if it ever materialises.
                Whats particularly wrong with online gameplay anyway? Every game has it nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
                  Im resolving judgement till the game trailer and a possible demo if it ever materialises.
                  Whats particularly wrong with online gameplay anyway? Every game has it nowadays.
                  Every game? Not in the main story, unless the game si only a shooter.

And RE5 doesn't need a online co-op, except in mercenary mode or a side mission like Ada's Assignement. There online will be a goog enanchement.

Comment

I hate those Classic RE noobs, complaining about online and changes, This is MUCH more realistic, especially with the cover system...the enimes are stronger fast and tougher, in real life..one would take cover to try and get the first shot or attack on the enemie, forget the zombies, these guys are freakin beast's.

RE4 changed a lot, but it introduced a new sense of fear, being hunted down...having a chainsaw dude run after you, RE has never been real scary.

RE5 stays on the same ropes but go'es beyond.

As for Online, you don't have to play it, have other who want it...this pleases more people and in the end, leading to more sales...DERR!

think a little.

Comment

Originally posted by For3nsic-Klown View Post
                      I hate those Classic RE noobs, complaining about online and changes, This is MUCH more realistic, especially with the cover system...the enimes are stronger fast and tougher, in real life..one would take cover to try and get the first shot or attack on the enemie, forget the zombies, these guys are freakin beast's.

RE4 changed a lot, but it introduced a new sense of fear, being hunted down...having a chainsaw dude run after you, RE has never been real scary.

RE5 stays on the same ropes but go'es beyond.

As for Online, you don't have to play it, have other who want it...this pleases more people and in the end, leading to more sales...DERR!

think a little.
                      Realistic? A virus from a volcano? A man that have to face at least 100 people and survives? A memeber of an military organization sent ALONE in a small village to rescue a girl?

Re5 is as realistic as Doom...

I hate those new RE noobs. Those who thinks that a survival horror can turn into an action shooter and conider it an improvement to the serie. There are a lot of action game, why shuold capcom change an old IP. Just create a new one!

Metal Gear, alone in the dark, silent hill... they are always the same, but each chapter is better than the previous one.

RE4's sense of fear? Where and When? It's simply a very fun action game. "having a chainsaw dude run after you..." ahah. Dr Salvador it's a pathetic guy. You can escape so easly... Do you remeber Nemesis?
                      Last edited by Petronio; 05-23-2008, 04:42 AM.

Comment

the venue just looks like metal gear to me, or like the degeneration movie (sorry i know it doesn't fit)

they could've done so much more with this game :/ i would've liked to see billy or something. i guess they need a boy/girl team so chris can have someone to hit on. like how they changed leon's attitude up to being some kinda flirt.

and a volcano triggering off the towns people? is that plausible? lol petronio beat me to it
                        Last edited by SinValentine; 05-23-2008, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by For3nsic-Klown View Post
                          The problem is, RE4 wasn't scary. Sure, the first few minutes were, but the more you play, the more Leon turns into hunter and Gonados into victims. Seriously, were you scared of the Gonados later in the game? Or were you killing them one by one, doing headshots, with a crazy smile on your face?
                          RE4 was not scary :/

And as much as I would like to have co-op in the game, let it be in a bonus mini-mission, not the main story.
                          And why, Capcom why are you returning with the idea of protecting some blonde girl?! At least make her more intelligent than Ashley was... and less screamy.
                          "Leon! Help me Leon! Leon! I can't even descent the ladder myself! Help me Leon! Leon!!!!!". Oh shut up there! :/

Comment

Yeah, I don't want 2p coop-mode in main story/game, It should be amazin but only in The Mercenaries mini-game, RE5 is Resident Evil (more or less) if someone wants 2coop-mode maybe is better you go play COD or Gears of War, we are talking about a Survival Horror (Shooter).
                            I'm happy that 2p coop-mode was only a fake news, very very happy.
                            Last edited by Sunglasses; 05-23-2008, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunglasses View Post
                              Yeah, I don't want 2p coop-mode in main story/game, It should be amazin but only in The Mercenaries mini-game, RE5 is Resident Evil (more or less) if someone wants 2coop-mode maybe is better you go play COD or Gears of War, we are talking about a Survival Horror (Shooter).
                              I'm happy that 2p coop-mode was only a fake news, very very happy.
                              It's not fake news, it's UNCONFIRMED (at the moment) news. I fear it will becaome true very soon....

Comment

Working...
                              X