Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REmake is already packed full of extra content

Comment

I'm unbelievably excited for this regardless if it's not a "true" HD remaster. I think we all thought we would never see the day when Capcom would release this to other consoles.

On the extra content side it's amazing as it is but if there were features I'd like to see:

Directors Cut Mode: Rearrange all the items like the original DC and the different costumes for Chris and Jill. I don't think this would take too much time if they have access to the original assets and code.

Saturn Mode: Perhaps have some features from the Saturn port like the Tick replacing the Hunters in the sewers and maybe a Battle Game. This may be more tricky but would still be a welcome addition.

Soundtrack Options: Although I love the 1996 original OST, it may sound a little awkward against the REmake backdrop and scenarios. Still an option to switch to it could be nice.

Weapons : Mentioned before but maybe some new weapons. I'd only really like to see the Ingram and Mini-Me machine guns from the PC port. Just to tie assets from the ports together.

Remake was already incredibly satisfying for me when I first played it and even now. If this is indeed designed to test the waters and lure new fans in who didn't get to play the original trilogy then I think the combination of all Bio 1 ports into modes like this would be perfect. An 'Ultimate Biohazard' kind of thing.

Now where's my Gamecube...
      Last edited by BiohazardFE; 08-07-2014, 06:07 AM.
      sigpic

"Beware the friends bearing false gifts and speaking with fork tongues. Poor Four-Eyes!" - Rev, New Dominion Tank Police

Comment

remake ticks?

Comment

It looks like there is upscaling, but not from the original GC backgrounds. These do look like they have been re-rendered because you can pick out finer lines and details.

I'm guessing that the backgrounds are rendered at 1440x1080 for the default 4:3 view mode. All the screenshots are from the widescreen mode, which zooms in on these backgrounds, so what you're seeing is a 1440x810 portion of the new1440x1080 background being upscaled to fit 1920x1080.
          i
          "Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one."

Comment

Good news, but this should have been done several years before, now it's pointless, for many people it's too late.

I couldn't care less about fake HDs with photoshoped upscaled backgrounds and widescreen for a game that was designed to be played 4:3. I'll stick with the GC version on my Wii, and if I want better graphics, I also have Dolphin.

Maybe I'd buy it for PC someday when it gets really cheap.
            The Resident Evil 3D Animation Showcase

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy_Jazz View Post
              It looks like there is upscaling, but not from the original GC backgrounds. These do look like they have been re-rendered because you can pick out finer lines and details.
              Being able to pick out finer details is something upscaling has been able to do for a long time. CAPCOM simply isn't using a very good method compared to, say, some of the more common AviSynth scripts.
              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

I'm guessing that the backgrounds are rendered at 1440x1080 for the default 4:3 view mode. All the screenshots are from the widescreen mode, which zooms in on these backgrounds, so what you're seeing is a 1440x810 portion of the new1440x1080 background being upscaled to fit 1920x1080.
                i
                I find difficult to upscale a picture of 1440x1080 to a lower resolution, i.e. 1280x720 (actually 1280x980) like the one on the screenshots, and lose details in that way. Also, I demonstrated that an upscale took place, you can't ignore that the wall texture just melted, and a noise dithering algorithm was used by the software that did the upscacle.

You don't render a picture with that kind of noise on purpose, original renders are noise free, and usually (if you are not dumb) you render at least at double your target rendering resolution, or the exact target resolution. This is just a cheap trick to make more money with already made assets.

Comment

Whilst we're definitely seeing upscaling artifacts on the HD Remaster backgrounds but it's not possible to ascertain with complete certainty if the backgrounds are from the GC resolution and upscaled or if they have been re-rendered at a higher res and then upscaled when playing in widescreen.

The released screens also suffer from compression artifacts and fact that they're taken from the widescreen mode suggests that there could be hardware upscaling being added to backgrounds if there were first upscaled or rerendered offline to fit the 4:3 resolution.

It's a shame we didn't get better media to compare with, ideally full res 4:3 shots or 1080p / next gen shots. That would give us more clues.

Comment

SonicBlue, sorry about that, I was using the PS4/XBone resolutions, not the X360 / PS3 ones.

[EDIT] so that would be 960x720 for a 4:3 image. In widescreen mode, you would take a 960x540 chunk of that background and upscale it to 1280x720.

I don't know the exact resolution for the GC RE1 backgrounds.
                    Last edited by Jimmy_Jazz; 08-07-2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by B.Zork View Post
                      remake ticks?
                      Sure, Mr.B.Zork could be interesting.
                      sigpic

"Beware the friends bearing false gifts and speaking with fork tongues. Poor Four-Eyes!" - Rev, New Dominion Tank Police

Comment

so that would be 960x720 for a 4:3 image. In widescreen mode, you would take a 960x540 chunk of that background and upscale it to 1280x720.

I don't know the exact resolution for the GC RE1 backgrounds.
                        The original backgrounds are rendered at 512x448. The upscaled counterparts would be 1280x1120 in order to keep the weird aspect ratio, then the display area is cropped to 1280x720. The funny thing about this is that they claimed they dismembered the game and are working on it piece by piece - complete marketing BS.
                        Last edited by Gemini; 08-07-2014, 12:21 PM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                        , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Whilst we're definitely seeing upscaling artifacts on the HD Remaster backgrounds but it's not possible to ascertain with complete certainty if the backgrounds are from the GC resolution and upscaled
                          Actually, it is. That's exactly the case.
                          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Has that been officially confirmed by your connections?

Whilst it is the most likely scenario, given Capcom's approaches to porting other RE titles to current gen consoles, the educated guesses I've read up until now, based on the current shots, haven't been convincing enough to completely rule out re-renders. Word from Capcom would obviously overrule all of that.

Comment

Real re-renders would look crisp and with all the details in place, which the screens shown so far lack entirely unless it's a resized picture like those on their official site. Even if they did use a different, uncompressed, higher resolution source, it's still a lousy upscale and we got already two users here obtaining the same exact results with identical artifacts. You don't need official word from CAPCOM to see what they did, but they could always step in with news, redo them for real and pretend the current screenshots were just tests (highly unlikely given what they did with "Ultra" HD RE4 and all their claims about improved visuals). Until then, this is just a lazy port supported by weird claims from whoever is responsible for it.
                              Last edited by Gemini; 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM.

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                              , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                                The original backgrounds are rendered at 512x448. The upscaled counterparts would be 1280x1120 in order to keep the weird aspect ratio, then the display area is cropped to 1280x720. The funny thing about this is that they claimed they dismembered the game and are working on it piece by piece - complete marketing BS.
                                Would Capcom developers really be idiotic enough to render their master backgrounds at a resolution as low as 512x448? I concede that I was initially fooled into thinking that these backgrounds weren't upscaled (but rather rosily filtered to obscure the lack of fine details in the aged models), but these images appear to be upscaled from a higher resolution master. If I had to guess, the original 4:3 masters are 800x600 (SVGA) at the very least, and certainly uncompressed.
                                Last edited by Enigmatism415; 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X