Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! Saves a lot of hassle!

Comment

A lot of the rooms I open with BioHerb crash the program. I was able to open ROOM1030 properly but when I opened ROOM1000, ROOM1010, or ROOM1020, I got the message "BioHerb has stopped working". Also is there a way to manually control a free camera in 3D mode or can I only see through the fixed cameras? Thanks in advance.
      Last edited by DarkSpyda04; 02-03-2014, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Just today saw this and must say this is an epic tool you have create here Mark, thank you for making it. Unfortunately for me I can not test it right now because of some problems with my PC's but I will test it as soon as I can. Thanks again!
        Last edited by Leo2236; 02-04-2014, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Sorry for bumping such an old topic, but I thought I'd ask if you still have any plans on releasing an update on this particular tool? I believe the alpha version that was released had the backgrounds feature disabled.

EDIT: Scratch that, I actually got the background feature working. Thanks again for this wonderful tool and I hope you're still improving upon it.
          Last edited by biohazard_star; 10-23-2014, 11:01 PM.
          Seibu teh geimu?
          ---

Comment

Originally posted by biohazard_star View Post
            Sorry for bumping such an old topic, but I thought I'd ask if you still have any plans on releasing an update on this particular tool? I believe the alpha version that was released had the backgrounds feature disabled.

EDIT: Scratch that, I actually got the background feature working. Thanks again for this wonderful tool and I hope you're still improving upon it.
            Eventually, yeah... but I'd like to finish up the 1.5 remix project before releasing it.

I'm currently using a extremely updated version to create those 1.5 rooms from scratch. Suffice to say, it most certainly has been improved upon.

Backgrounds can now be loaded from BSS, Roomcut.bin, BS, TIM, BMP, PNG, TGA and JPG files.

Scripts can be modified, created and tested in real-time, line by line.

Messages can modified, created and tested in real-time: pic

The map matrix can now be zoomed, panned, moved, etc:pic

As seen above, models (PLD, EMD, MD1) can be viewed and their animations can be edited, created and playback in realtime.

The app no longer crashes when closing an open RDT, meaning that you can create or modify as many RDTs as you wish without having to close the app and restart.

RDT can be created from scratch. It's entirely up to the user to plan, create and test their results. Given the many updates, the learning curve is fairly easy.

The camera matrix has been heavily updated, in addition to the editor tab dialog, which can now zoom, rotate and tilt on x y and z coords.

The collision data has been about 99% completely reverse engineered, and the editor tab dialog has been updated to reflect that.

Camera sprites (masks) can be created and edited in realtime.

The app now includes Weapon Damage, Enemy Health, Weapon Power, Item Mix/Description Text/All Attribute, updated Save game editor/creator, Debug Room Jump creator/editor, 3D model+animation creator/editor, Entire room moving, VAB Editor/creator, TIM editor/creator, and many other features have been added.

Numerous MIPs r3000a assembly output functions have been added, for modifying or creating various means of coding.

Built-in ISO creation utility has been added, and can be ran from batch.

Tons of functions can be accessed via batch, for easy ISO creation (pseudo-toolchain).

Support for Bio1 and Bio 1.5 have been dropped entirely. I got tired of seeing crappy mods for those games, and my personal interest in modifying those particular titles is practically non-existent. From now on, every version will only support Bio2 and Bio3.

...and every single bug has been smashed that was present in that initial version, in addition to the hundreds of improvements that I just simply haven't mentioned.

I suspect that many of these features will be stripped from a release build, however.
            Last edited by MeganGrass; 10-24-2014, 02:12 PM.
            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Oh boy. It seems like you've made yourself a fantastic all-in-one package. Now anyone can make delicious custom rooms, provided they have the 3d modelling know-how. I look forward to using your new release build when you release it, whenever that may be.
              Seibu teh geimu?
              ---

Comment

So in other words it's a "build your own Resident Evil game from scratch" program, or that's what it seemed like by your post just now. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by biohazard_star View Post
                  Oh boy. It seems like you've made yourself a fantastic all-in-one package. Now anyone can make delicious custom rooms, provided they have the 3d modelling know-how. I look forward to using your new release build when you release it, whenever that may be.
                  Pretty much, yeah. I must say that I've had a wonderful teacher who helped plenty with various aspects, most especially stuff related to matrix setup.

All you need are prerenders for the backgrounds, and you're good to go.

That said, I'd love to take on a new project with a 3d artist who is actually capable of creating something that wouldn't embarrass the scene and anyone involved in said project.

Originally posted by Ultimacloud123 View Post
                  So in other words it's a "build your own Resident Evil game from scratch" program, or that's what it seemed like by your post just now. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                  Yup, and it can be used with any retail version of Bio2 (initial, Dual Shock, GameCube, DreamCast), trial and beta. The "Bio Remix" is really nothing more than a test to prove the app's worth, and to improve upon anything that may require improvement. Basically, I'm actually using an app I created, for the first time ever.

If you can think of it, it can be modified or created anew... and if not, it's going to be implemented. Anything else will require knowledge of MIPs, no way around it. Anything related to MIPs will be removed from release, however.
                  Last edited by MeganGrass; 10-24-2014, 08:23 PM.
                  I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                    Eventually, yeah... but I'd like to finish up the 1.5 remix project before releasing it.

I'm currently using a extremely updated version to create those 1.5 rooms from scratch. Suffice to say, it most certainly has been improved upon.

Backgrounds can now be loaded from BSS, Roomcut.bin, BS, TIM, BMP, PNG, TGA and JPG files.

Scripts can be modified, created and tested in real-time, line by line.

Messages can modified, created and tested in real-time: pic

The map matrix can now be zoomed, panned, moved, etc:pic

As seen above, models (PLD, EMD, MD1) can be viewed and their animations can be edited, created and playback in realtime.

The app no longer crashes when closing an open RDT, meaning that you can create or modify as many RDTs as you wish without having to close the app and restart.

RDT can be created from scratch. It's entirely up to the user to plan, create and test their results. Given the many updates, the learning curve is fairly easy.

The camera matrix has been heavily updated, in addition to the editor tab dialog, which can now zoom, rotate and tilt on x y and z coords.

The collision data has been about 99% completely reverse engineered, and the editor tab dialog has been updated to reflect that.

Camera sprites (masks) can be created and edited in realtime.

The app now includes Weapon Damage, Enemy Health, Weapon Power, Item Mix/Description Text/All Attribute, updated Save game editor/creator, Debug Room Jump creator/editor, 3D model+animation creator/editor, Entire room moving, VAB Editor/creator, TIM editor/creator, and many other features have been added.

Numerous MIPs r3000a assembly output functions have been added, for modifying or creating various means of coding.

Built-in ISO creation utility has been added, and can be ran from batch.

Tons of functions can be accessed via batch, for easy ISO creation (pseudo-toolchain).

Support for Bio1 and Bio 1.5 have been dropped entirely. I got tired of seeing crappy mods for those games, and my personal interest in modifying those particular titles is practically non-existent. From now on, every version will only support Bio2 and Bio3.

...and every single bug has been smashed that was present in that initial version, in addition to the hundreds of improvements that I just simply haven't mentioned.

I suspect that many of these features will be stripped from a release build, however.
                    Impressive, most impressive. Not gonna use it too seriously, but I wouldn't mind playing around with it in my spare time, could be fun (providing its not too watered down)! So I assume the scripting module can manage stuff like variables between rooms, etc? And how much space does an RE2 save slot give you (say you wanted to build an expansion to RE2 or RE3), is there enough space to work with? What kind of extra coding can you do with the assembly functions?

Comment

I've never ever done any Resident Evil modding but would love to get into it. Is there any information with this tool that can be helpful for beginners? Is this for the PC version of Playstation?

Any quick simple n00b friendly advice would be awesome. Even making a few simple rooms with story would be a dream!
                      4 Itchy Tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream View Post
                        So I assume the scripting module can manage stuff like variables between rooms, etc?
                        Yup. Every event - obtaining and using keys, locked doors, animated cutscenes with spoken dialog, inspection text - quite literally, everything is determined by how you script the game.

The tool has the ability to compile scripts in c format:

Of course, the tool allows for obtaining the positions the user desires, and allows to set various options, such as how the functions should be called, animation settings, triggering events and so on. For the average user, this may be a bit much, but there's just simply no way around it (other than rubbing stones together via hex editor, hahahaha )

Once you get the hang of it, one's imagination and creation is absolutely the only limit. To help facilitate the process, I have a dialog that will display every event area, where a model is located, and so on in real time at the user's will. Of course, all is displayed within the room/RDT that is currently loaded.

And how much space does an RE2 save slot give you (say you wanted to build an expansion to RE2 or RE3), is there enough space to work with?
                        The savegame data requires no expansion. It was designed to store everything one would need to make a custom game - bgm table, scenario flags, etc.

So, for example, once you begin to create your own game, there are quite literally hundreds, if not, thousands of unused flags that can be used at your own will - you set them and how they are used when you script each room.

To put it into better perspective, even CAPCOM couldn't/didn't fill every single flag, as many just simply went unused by their dev team. Suffice to say, there's more than enough room to script an entire game from scratch... or, just simply toy around with the engine at will.

What kind of extra coding can you do with the assembly functions?
                        Again, the imagination is the only true limit.

Say, for example, that a function doesn't do what I want it to do, or I want to update it to do something extra, or entirely different... all I would have to do is simply erase the function, write a new one to replace it, then insert my code into the executable at compile time.

In another case scenario, there may be a data table that requires to be modified in order to properly load or govern data, the same concept applies. Thus, the addition of the Weapon Damage, Item Table and etc editors.

Originally posted by Aydan View Post
                        I've never ever done any Resident Evil modding but would love to get into it. Is there any information with this tool that can be helpful for beginners? Is this for the PC version of Playstation?

Any quick simple n00b friendly advice would be awesome. Even making a few simple rooms with story would be a dream!
                        It works for every version - PSone, DreamCast, GameCube and PC.

The best advice I can give is to wait for a new version of this app, as the alpha was rushed. It's been nearly a year since, and the app has become extremely user friendly, for both experts and beginners alike. As mentioned before though, scripting is no simple process, so you can prepare yourself for that by using Biofat:

biofat is a utility to handle multiple file types for multiple games, including: * BioHazard / Re
                        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                          other than rubbing stones together via hex editor, hahahaha )
                          Yeah, this. That's why I never bothered with RE modding earlier, I'd rather have something I can use and do something with in 20 mins, not something that takes over my entire life. In other words, the tool I've been waiting for

It's a shame BIO1 is not supported but I can understand. I guess a lot of assets can be imported though.

Originally posted by Aydan View Post

My advice is not to be intimidated by the screen of the code Mark just posted. Scripting is much easier than normal coding, all you'll be doing at the start is copying and pasting from other rooms (it does load CAPCOM's scripts from BIO2, right?), then the obscure numbers and such will start to make sense as you blend stuff together. I never used BioHerb original version but I imagine its something like that.

Comment

Yeah, this. That's why I never bothered with RE modding earlier, I'd rather have something I can use and do something with in 20 mins, not something that takes over my entire life. In other words, the tool I've been waiting for
                            Yeah.

Some things can be accomplished by modification of hex data (or by using some crappy 'utility' that deals strictly in hexdecimal), but most certainly nothing impressive... not to mention the time wasted in such effort.

it does load CAPCOM's scripts from BIO2, right?), then the obscure numbers and such will start to make sense as you blend stuff together.
                            Yes, it can load scripts from either Bio2 or Bio3.

As for the obscure numbers, they've all been completely reverse-engineered. Jokingly, you won't be searching for a light switch in the dark.
                            I'm a blackstar.

Comment

It's amazing how you can take something that's great (RE2) and make it even better. I understand why you don't have RE1 compatible however I'm sure you could just simply rebuild RE1 in a RE2 engine, the real RE1.5 if you want to be technical.

Based on your experience Mark, how similar is the RE2 engine VS the RE3 engine? Is the RE3 engine more advanced or is simply the RE2 engine with just a different wrapper?

I'm actually looking forward to your final build for your tool. I might just build my Op. Starlight game with your tool. By user friendly and addressing someone as beginner are we referring to someone with little to no knowledge in coding/scripting?
                              Last edited by Ultimacloud123; 11-09-2014, 08:05 PM.

Comment

RE3 is more or less RE2 buffed up with steroids. It can do all that RE2 can do plus a whole chicken and drinks. In other words it's an extended version of RE2 with many additional features, such as combinable animations (example: weapon animations are composed of 2 parts animated at the same time and combined together), static objects with new reactions (RE2 only handles boxes to have some sort of "AI", RE3 adds explosives and environmental objects that can damage enemies), and it removes a lot of redundancies via more compact formats. Aside from these additions and optimizations, it's still closer to RE2 than RE1 was with 2 (which is more or less a complete rewrite).

Resident Evil: Behind the Mask twitter
                                , also in Facebookian flavor for great justice.

Comment

Working...
                                X