No announcement yet.

True Story Behind Biohazard Translation Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by chris26; 06-10-2008, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Well, Im not sure where you got your translation from, but Bjorn stands by his work as always. Do realize he is a professional translator who works for companies in the Manga / Anime business. I've showed him your post though, and here are some points hes addressed:

-If it indeed IS in the Chinese one they based it off, it's probably just some stuff the Chinese made as filler, since some of the pages have less text than others. There's not a single WORD in there describing Jill as being like a SECOND MOTHER to that random girl. It just says that the girl went over to "play" at Jill's place all the time, which sounded really stupid and I changed it to hang out instead. And there was absolutely NO MENTION of their parents.

"その少女が友だちとキヤンブに行った森のなかで惨殺されてしまったのだ。"

"That girl had gone camping in the forest with her friends, where she was slaughtered."

Her parents are not mentioned.

Comment

Last edited by chris26; 06-10-2008, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Chris26, time to learn the difference between FACT and FICTION.
          (okay, bad choice of word considering how this entire book is a work of fiction),

Anyway: anything "extra" that may be present in the "Chinese version" of this book is a work of fiction spawned from the mind of whoever was in charge of the Chinese translation (or responsible for, in the case of the Chinese being an unofficial translation). The only way for things to be any different would be if the Japanese version was a product of a translation from the Chinese version. This would however still make the Japanese version the "correct/right" version, as this is the mass market release that has gone through Capcom.

Comment

Considering your past posts talking about a secret edition of RE1 for the Sega Saturn with special modes that only you have seen, I think I'll talk Bjorn's word on this.

Comment

Last edited by chris26; 06-10-2008, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the chapter, very interesting read as always. How many chapters does this story have?

Comment

Regarding that chinese translation thing, Becky and Priscilla are mentioned in the S.D. Perry novel The Umbrella Conspiracy as being two children neighbours of Jill Valentine that (if i remember correctly) were the first murder victims in the Arklay mountains, so maybe whoever translated that added stuff from the Perry novel?
                  Last edited by delage; 02-19-2008, 05:28 AM.

Comment

There are 7 chapters total. You right about Becky and Priscilla, I thought I recalled hearing those names before.
                    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 02-19-2008, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Must I always be the one to point out that Chinese material is largely just complete bullshit? =P
                      PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Last edited by chris26; 06-10-2008, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Its seems to be more apparent that Capcom seems to have altered the writing, when translating the game for the western market to suite their audience. Perry could have gotten his research from the original translated version from Capcom U.S.A as well as the western translated editions for study.
                          We are translating the book from the original Japanese release.

Edit: Ok, I think I know what this whole thing is about now. I just picked up the English release of TSBB and read Chapter 3, it mentions Becky and Priscilla and the other things Chris was talking about. Infact, I think he was saying that the text he posted was a direct copy of the book. Anyway, the novel was written by Hiroyuki Ariga so I'd consider the first printing of this to be the most accurate. The translators likely added more back story which I wouldn't consider canon, especially when you see how limited in quantity the English TSBB release was.

Just looking at the quality on the opening sentence speaks volumes as to the care that was (or rather wasn't) taken:

"Whenever the phone rings in the middle of the night. I know someone's dead who wasn't dead the day before."

Thats just..really random and bad.
                          Last edited by Dot50Cal; 02-20-2008, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Last edited by chris26; 06-10-2008, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dot50Cal View Post
                              especially when you see how limited in quantity the English TSBB release was.
                              I never even knew there was one. Must be insanely rare if it's worth paying $750 and waiting to get the JP one translated rather than find a copy in English.

How and when was it released?
                              sigpic

Comment

Ahah, well I didn't know it existed before we started the project. Its a small book, a little bigger than the size of a cigarette pack. It was given to people who pre-ordered RE1 (I cant recall which version though, probably Saturn?). I got my copy from a former EB employee who told me that, so I cant verify it myself. Johnny Undaunted at Bioflames says it was a mail order deal for the Saturn version. Judging from the translation though, I'm glad we're doing one which is accurate to the authors original.

Its just called "Resident Evil The Book".
                                Last edited by Dot50Cal; 02-22-2008, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X