Hollwood: Game/cartoon/remake killer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollwood: Game/cartoon/remake killer

I've really started to notice lately(even though it's been going on for some time)that Hollywood is starting to pump out live-action films of every great tv series and video game they can get their grubby little hands on. What kind of crap is this? For instance, Cowboy bebop...great cartoon, guess what? Live-action! Dragon Ball, Live-Action! Not even foreign films are safe, as if you couldn't already tell by the countless horror movie remakes such as the grudge, quarantine, etc. I saw a great movie this week called, "Let the right one in", a swedish vampire movie that came out last year. Oh guess what, U.S. version coming right up! You know who I really feel sorry for? The MGS fans. Why won't they just let Hideo Kojima direct the movie? I think I speak for everyone when I say, he's done pretty damn good so far. Hell, I even feel sorry for Castlevania fans, not just because I love the series, but for those of you who aren't too fond of the RE movies...guess who wrote the script? Paul Anderson
    Last edited by REmaster; 04-02-2009, 03:29 AM.
    "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
    Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

In fairness, Paul Anderson might be able to write a decent movie when he's not nailing the main character.

But yeah, nothing good comes from Hollywood getting it's hands on a book, game or foreign movie as a general rule. There are always exceptions, of course. The Lord of the Rings wasn't a huge failure, for example, and Hellboy works pretty well.

But generally it's like getting pocked in the damned eye with the charred remains of something you love.

Comment

Okay, okay...I did like mortal kombat and event horizon, but I can never forgive him for what he hath done. Yea I liked Hellboy, even though I heard fans hated it because of differences or something. I still want to see [REC], the spanish "zombie" movie that Quarantine was remade after. The trailer for [REC] 2 looks pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NP2_ZD4dY so I'm guessing there will be a Quarantine 2 as well
      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
        In fairness, Paul Anderson might be able to write a decent movie when he's not nailing the main character.
        This gives me a horrible picture of Anderson and Kurt Russell in a bed together....

Get it out... DO NOT WANT.

Comment

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
          You know who I really feel sorry for? The MGS fans. Why won't they just let Hideo Kojima direct the movie? I think I speak for everyone when I say, he's done pretty damn good so far.
          He's pretty good with directing games, but I really don't see him directing a movie. The man needs a dozen or so minutes of dialogues just to introduce main characters and about half an hour just to conclude the story that lasted for several hours (that is - telling you that the last several of hours only scratched the surface of the story, and here's what has really happened). Hell, the ending of MGS2 (starting from battle with Rays) lasted about 40 minutes o_O.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me about the Dragon BallZ movie. It's gonna be sooooooooo hilarious, I really can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Zombie View Post
              He's pretty good with directing games, but I really don't see him directing a movie. The man needs a dozen or so minutes of dialogues just to introduce main characters and about half an hour just to conclude the story that lasted for several hours (that is - telling you that the last several of hours only scratched the surface of the story, and here's what has really happened). Hell, the ending of MGS2 (starting from battle with Rays) lasted about 40 minutes o_O.
              Yea he would top Peter Jackson for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Corrin View Post
                Thanks for reminding me about the Dragon BallZ movie. It's gonna be sooooooooo hilarious, I really can't wait!
                Ditto. Since I missed out on Dead or Alive, I'm thinking that later this year there'll be a great evening with the guys, watching Dead or Alive and Dragonball, back-to-back.

Nothing's like watching something that's incredibly hilarious and fantastic for all the wrong reasons

Anyway, I'm not really that opposed to the "Hollywood treatment", the question is more about how they manage to present the material. There have been adaptions that I've absolutely hated... there've been some that I've totally embraced and thought was fantastic compared to the original source material...

Sometimes you have to do changes to the source material to fit the new medium, sometimes you must do it for the audience... and then you have the stuff you do to please the investors...

The first things that struck me when I heard they might be gearing up for Cowboy Bebop was:
                -Apply movie magic to Keanue Reeves. It's important that Spike looks like Spike..
                -Do something unusual. Keanue Reeves can't act... have Steven Blum voiceover dub him.
                -Get Yoko Kanno on staff too to shut up the haters.

And, yeah, I don't think Kojima would make for a good film director. He seems to know how to fill things out, sure. But someone needs to show him that you don't need all that foam, and also tell him that people can't just take half-an-hour in the middle of a fight with someone else to sit down with your phone and have a general chat with someone about philosophy, some dude's background, your lack of a love life and how all of this has something to do with *whatever the shit Snake's in the middle of this time*, especially not when there's probably some 5 minute detonation timer waiting on hold too for Snake to finish his teenager habits on the phone.

I mean... can you imagine what Snake&Co would be like if they were teenage kids with cellphones?

Comment

Carn - It's Keanu not Keanue - no e on the end.

But yeah, I watched House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, and Bloodrayne back to back. I also watched Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet The Spartan's, and Disaster Movie back to back as well.

They're all horrible films, but it's good having a group of mates/movie fans around watching crap films for the laughs.

Next up for us is Uwe Boll Round 2 - Dungeon Siege, Postal, House of the Dead "Funny Version."

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                    Carn - It's Keanu not Keanue - no e on the end.
                    Ouch, my bad!
                    Hard to keep track of how many Es that man really has in his name.

Next up for us is Uwe Boll Round 2 - Dungeon Siege, Postal, House of the Dead "Funny Version."
                    Postal's awesome (for real). Enjoy it

Comment

I would love to watch postal but I can't get over "Scut Farkus" being in it, because he brought utter shame to Nicholai's name. I can still clearly hear his crappy russian accent saying,"This bitch is mine" lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                        i agree, Paul Anderson can make make a great movie when Alice is not involved, also i think his Directing skills are great, just not is writing skills.

Originally posted by REmaster View Post
                        You know who I really feel sorry for? The MGS fans. Why won't they just let Hideo Kojima direct the movie? I think I speak for everyone when I say, he's done pretty damn good so far.
                        wait what? there's an MGS movie being made WITHOUT Hideo Kojima as director?!

Comment

Here's something I'm unhappy with: Any Looney Tunes stuff without Mel Blanc. I mean, shit... he was everyone! Not only that, but people like Chuck Jones, Bob Clampett, and Tex Avery set the bar so high with their direction that anything they didn't do seems bad in comparison. Hell, they're not even called Looney Tunes to begin with! They're Merrie Melodies! They changed it later for whatever stupid reason...

That Dragonball movie really pisses me off too. I grew up watching Dragonball. Being a fan of the Japanese version kind of sucks. First, there was the terrible dub, and now this monstrosity of a movie? C'mon! No fair! I call shenanigans!

Sorry! No more bitching from me!

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                            i agree, Paul Anderson can make make a great movie when Alice is not involved, also i think his Directing skills are great, just not is writing skills.
                            Personally i always found Andersons directing to be mediocre at best, and i think i made my feelings for his writing abilities known in the other movie thread.

As for Postal i refuse to watch anything Uwe Boll is involved with in any way shape or form after watching 'Alone in the Dark'. He is not getting another penny of my money.

Comment

Uwe Boll needs to be set for trial and execution... no screw it, just execution

Comment

Working...
                              X