Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Wii U Thread (Nintendo Network IDs here!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I already commented on gameplay and I mentioned visuals again because, to quote myself "When 70% of the games a major publisher puts out feature the same characters, same environments, same worlds and so on people get tired of it. They want variety." It is not just the NSMB series these get recycled in.
    Last edited by Dracarys; 07-20-2013, 02:03 AM.
    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
      You forget visual changes, can tell SMB1/2/3/W apart from just looking at a screenshot. Different art styles, different environments.

NSMB series however...

Spoiler:
      And I once again direct you to SMB1 and 2JP.

Spoiler:

Omg... they added a drop shadow to the letters at the top! Completely different!

Comment

• Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
        And I once again direct you to SMB1 and 2JP.

Spoiler:

Omg... they added a drop shadow to the letters at the top! Completely different!
        You also forgot to mention how the clouds somehow evolved sentience AND faces in the intervening time between the two games. I'm just glad to see that the same level of scrutiny we apply to Resident Evil around here can be directed towards other series as well. XD
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by AsteroidBlues View Post
          You also forgot to mention how the clouds somehow evolved sentience AND faces in the intervening time between the two games. I'm just glad to see that the same level of scrutiny we apply to Resident Evil around here can be directed towards other series as well. XD
          Is this the real "Sky"net we should fear becoming sentient?

*shot*

Comment

• Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
            Is this the real "Sky"net we should fear becoming sentient?

*shot*
            Oh my holy God. There is only one thing left to do...

sigpic

Comment

• i actually think the WiiU will play out just like the 3DS, slow at first but once there is enough games for it BOOM! its popularity will take off like a rocket. i don't know who will win the console wars this generation, its gonna be hard to tell. (but im confident that Microsoft will be in last place)

also this image pretty much sums up how i feel about the WiiU so far :/

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiiu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	403182

Comment

• That image doesn't advertise it well.

Backwards compatibility - It has a Wii mode and uses none of the features of the WiiU. If you want to play your already paid for Virtual console games out of Wii mode you need pay a fee for every single one. So a crappy backwards compatibility.

No DRM - Try playing your digital games on another WiiU, see how that works for you.Terrible DRM, locking games to a single console with no way to switch to another short of a full system transfer (not even sure WiiU has this ability).

It is not cheap.

First party line-up is still nowhere to be seen in stores.

Comment

• I own a Wii U and it's good but lacking quality games. First Party games won't be enough for this system. I believe third party needs to get onboard and deliver games.

I find it laughable that EA says the Wii U can't run Frostbite2/Frostbite3 but the somehow slightly weaker PS3/XBOX can. Logic out the window.. Stupid EA. Here I wanted to buy Battlefield 4 for the Wii U as well as on the PS4..
                  My Head-Fi Page

Comment

• don't get me wrong, i really dont mean to rip on sony, i applaud how they chewed out the bullshit policies involving the XBoxOne at E3 as much as everyone else did. but as of now im getting ready to look through used game stores looking for a PS3 that is Fully backwards compatible with playstation 1, 2, & 3 games. i also want to try games like uncharted & ratchet and clank, two sony exclusives im itching to try out. so im honestly more interested in catching up on the PS3 right now.

one thing sony could do that would actually get me interested in the PS4 would be if they brought back the Ape Escape & Tomba franchises (because im one of the weirdoes who actually liked those games). If they made interesting sequels and perhaps even a remake to the original games (and only if they did a good job on them) then id be very interested in getting a PS4. (frankly ape escape, tomba, and a few games that didn't get sequels was the only 1st party sony titles that truly WOWed me)

Comment

• Originally posted by Zombie_X View Post
                      I own a Wii U and it's good but lacking quality games. First Party games won't be enough for this system. I believe third party needs to get onboard and deliver games.

I find it laughable that EA says the Wii U can't run Frostbite2/Frostbite3 but the somehow slightly weaker PS3/XBOX can. Logic out the window.. Stupid EA. Here I wanted to buy Battlefield 4 for the Wii U as well as on the PS4..
                      Well their thinking is "who will buy our games if we spend money porting them". Which isn't many people, so it's logical. EA pulled out, Ubisoft said ZombieU failed and dropped exclusivity on Rayman Legends - these are not good signs that 3rd party support is going well.

Comment

Backwards compatibility - It has a Wii mode and uses none of the features of the WiiU. If you want to play your already paid for Virtual console games out of Wii mode you need pay a fee for every single one. So a crappy backwards compatibility.
                        Kinda puzzled by this myself, the screen has a built in sensor bar and could additionally double as a classic controller. Either way, you can play your Wii purchased Virtual Console games perfectly fine in the Wii Mode of the system. No charges paid for doing a license transfer. The "upgrade fee" for adding the Wii U versions (which usually features a bigger manual, customizable control, remote play, and the same state save system the 3DS Virtual Console has) is borderline symbolic.

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                        No DRM - Try playing your digital games on another WiiU, see how that works for you.Terrible DRM, locking games to a single console with no way to switch to another short of a full system transfer (not even sure WiiU has this ability).
                        Wii U doesn't have a license transfer to a new Wii U yet, but customer support can do it for you if you provide two serial numbers and a proof of ownership for both (or, well, that's what they're technically required to collect, but know from doing this call a few times for handhelds and hearing how others have handled it too that it's a matter of whom you speak to and how much of arse you are whilst asking for their help).

Either way, while I don't exactly miss a system for bringing my digital crap elsewhere on the system, it would be neat if they could've utilized the Wii Remote's 8 kb memory to hold somesort of temporary ID tag or something.

Originally posted by Dracarys View Post
                        First party line-up is still nowhere to be seen in stores.
                        Disc version of New Super Luigi U and Pikmin 3 this week, and The Wonderful 101 in a month, so that's at least something.
                        And, well, at least on the console selling front for children, Disney Infinity is next month too and Skylanders Swap-Force in October, and the Wii version of Skylander 1-2 were the most popular ones of those collect-o-tons, so those might push a console upgrade - if not on launch - totally for Christmas. By then we'll also have more first party stuff out too (Wind Waker HD and Mario 3D World to name the most important/significant)

Comment

• "Support for indie developers"

UPDATE #2: Nintendo has responded to Eurogamer regarding its Japanese arm's decision to not allow indies to self-publis…
                          Last edited by Dracarys; 07-23-2013, 08:33 PM.

Comment

And then you have the other side of the coin which more or less indicates Nintendo's possibly a candidate for being the best; avoiding cluttering and focusing a quality over quantity (RETURN OF THE SEAL OF QUALITY!?)

(Either way, I'll probably talk a little about my experience with them next year, once my studio's first title is starting to wrap.)
                            Last edited by Carnivol; 07-24-2013, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X